Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Excel Diaries! - Page 5 - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

The Excel Diaries!

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

No - details are on the forum

You still got an empty passenger seat on Saturday 10th ?

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:40, JayEmm said:

I was scraping the ice from the inside of the car yesterday

As a follow up to this, I dropped my Esprit of to Gerald this morning for it's annual checkup/mot, and mentioned this to him. He suggested sticking a Wardrobe dehumidifier in the car to suck the water out of the air. So I've just ordered this, which will be with me tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Go on - you know it makes sense :thumbsup:

Very similar to an 87/D SE I owned in the 1990s.

• Gold FFM

While we're here, anyone know what Excel these are the correct wheels for? Mine had different logos on the fronts and rears..

excelwheel5295.jpg

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Different to my 89 ones

y3mGZZY2Kg94HWsg2G6ZTAt4cxAyKORgw27z1WQk

edit to add: there are quite a few like yours if you do an image search - there's a set with one set like yours, the second being dished, so maybe Esprit wheels?

db300224-88-lotus-esprit-wheels-4-route-

• Gold FFM

Yes, the style you have chris is what my car is now wearing all-round, as I sourced a pair of replacements. Still confused as to the origins of mine though.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I reckon Esprit wheels - ask the question on LotusExcel.net?

edit to add: although SJ seems to be selling my ones as Esprit front wheels!

53 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Different to my 89 ones

y3mGZZY2Kg94HWsg2G6ZTAt4cxAyKORgw27z1WQk

edit to add: there are quite a few like yours if you do an image search - there's a set with one set like yours, the second being dished, so maybe Esprit wheels?

db300224-88-lotus-esprit-wheels-4-route-

5 Studs are Esprit or either a Sparks 1:32 Excel 

• Gold FFM

Can't be Esprit wheels - not enough holes!

@Inkyfingers the car looks nice but I have an allergy to the seller after a negative experience there a few years ago

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

All Esprits I have seen are five stud though, not four... The early Esprits seem to be four, but by the time they are wearing this style wheel they all appear to be five

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

26 minutes ago, Inkyfingers said:

You guys aren't helping. Anybody know the car? Got any thoughts on the price? 

The car looks very tidy.  Interior seems excellent. Roof lining will save you having to do it. Cam covers need recoat. No apparent detritus in the tail lights. Paint work again looks good in the photos. Not a hundred percent sure on this, but the side decals are missing so may be a respray.  However, there were many permutations on decals so is not a given. Windscreen not de-laminated, Need to get under and check the diff for leaks, shocks and springs for corrosion.  Price is dealer price so make an offer you are happy with.  It's not an A/C SE either, Dont get bamboozled by low miles.  These cars need to be driven to stay alive. 1400 miles average per year may develop issues when actually the car gets used.  Take heavy normal usage for the first few years and you are looking at a car that hasnt been used in 20 years or its gone round the clock. The rad has just been rebuilt so if it has been standing for 20 years and slowly corroded away you may want to consider thinking about the condition of the coolant on a standing engine block

14 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

All Esprits I have seen are five stud though, not four... The early Esprits seem to be four, but by the time they are wearing this style wheel they all appear to be five

Type 79 Esprit that appeared in 1976 and existed as S1 &S2 was a 4 stud wheel. (Don't know what the PCD was but I do know Elite/Eclat Speedlines are different PCD to Excel Speedlines that look very similar.)

Type 83 Esprit (S3) that appeared in 1980 was the start of the 5 stud era..

Edited by phil flash

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

I think JayEmm is referring to the fact that RouteOZ only appeared on Lotus cars several years after the Esprits went 5 stud, but there's another aspect which is the font used is quite late, I think the narrower font is from the end of the Excel production.

Anyway, to this car.

I'm with Stu, it looks OK and most of the general problem areas appear to have been dealt with. Add to that list- check window frames and door beams. Both  can be resolved but are a PITA job and also a pain-in-the-wallet.

Window frames rust both near the mounting points and near the rubber strip at the top of the shell.

Door beams rust near the tube that forms part of the hinge, and eventually results in the door dropping off.

As to the dealer. The impression I get is that they seem to expect/ demand a higher price than others (other dealers) would for a similar condition car, that can translate as higher cost or less favorable car for the price. But that's just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 00:53, Steve V8 said:

Thinking of you @JayEmm at the Classic and Sportscar show, Unobtainium window frames have now been replaced by newly manufactured obtainium ones. Available from the Elite Eclat & Excel owners club.IMG_1068.JPG 

Blimey - I'd recognise that wiper arm anywhere!  Well it was the Jag seats really :) 

1 hour ago, Hawaiis0 said:

5 Studs are Esprit

Well that was a bit of a basic fail on my part :wallbash: Didn't think to look at the no of studs, was just looking at the font :) Bloody obvious now! -

Thanks @Hawaiis0 and @andydclements for the advice.

@JayEmm I've heard rumblings about them before. Despite their location, neither I or any of my friends have any personal knowledge of them.

May go and take a look, if only for comparison at this stage.

I'm doing some major researching at the moment. My ideal car is one that's not a show car (with associated price tag) but also not a wreck, as I don't have the time or space for a major refurb job. I'm reasonably practical, though my actual mechanical experience has only ever been on WW2 Military vehicles, rather than cars.

• Gold FFM

I would suggest joining the "unofficial" Excel owners club, they have a forum of their own. Many of the members on here are also there.

The major piece of advice I would have is beware cars that look immaculate. I've got a very hefty invoice here from poor old @Kimbers that was spent with Gerald, getting this car mechanically sorted. Nothing was wrong with it - it just hadn't been driven for seven years.

This is no way a uniquely Lotus thing - it'll happen to any car. But I have seen a few Excels advertised as "mint" when I know they're going to need a few thousand spent on them immediately. Sometimes it might be more economical to get a mechanically sound but cosmetically second hand car, like I did. 

You can ask @purso about the joys of "mint condition" cars.

I feel in the interest of fairness I should also point out my experience with UKSC was brief, and a few years ago. I went down to view a car but was made to feel like I was wasting their time and that I was a bit of a nuisance. I was looking to buy a G Esprit, when I could afford one. I was put off buying from them.

James Martin (JayEmm)