Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Lotus Evora 400 Audio Upgrade - Page 4 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Lotus Evora 400 Audio Upgrade

Hi All,

Super useful thread and Thanks to JayEmm for the info. OK, as a new owner of an Evora 400 who is looking to have this audio upgrade done, any suggestions of a Audio Fitter in the Reading, Berkshire area (or an hours drive in any direction) who you would trust to pull an Evora apart to do this.

Cheers

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 3 weeks later...

I upgraded the amp and speakers in my federal Evora 400- essentially its the same strategy as JayEmm but using JL components.  This thread was incredibly useful.  I posted some notes about my experience here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/evora-stereo-upgrade-notes.474732/#post-5996485

As JayEmm notes, the original tweeters are slightly larger than the aftermarket ones.  They fit using the provided  flush mount bracket but don't look as clean as I would like.  Has anyone found a solution for this- presumably some sort of a trim ring that would fit inside the lip of the tweeter would clean things up but I am not having much luck finding something suitable.

• 7 months later...

OK, got my Evora 400 audio updated (finally - long story).

Paul: Thanks for the recommendation of https://www.johnkleisaudio.co.uk/. Connor and team were awesome and I'm super happy with the install and the improved audio. They recommened a updated set of components compared to JayEmm's list - details below

• Prima AP49bit 4 channel Amp.
  • Pro Hertz Mille 130mm.
  • Prima aps8r.
  • Stinger power cables & loads of skinz pro black sound deadening.

Sounds amazing. 

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Is removal of the Evora 400's dashboard required for replacement with Component speakers, only due to the tweeters installation? (door woofers + a-pillar tweeters)

My Lotus shop is advising me dashboard removal is where the extensive labor costs are. (and if dashboard removal is required, I'm nervous to trust that alone to a car-audio shop.)

Targeted parts:

head unit: Alpine ILX-705D

speakers: Audison AV K6 component or AV X6.5 coaxial

sub: Audison Prima 8

amp: Audison SR 4.500

If dashboard removal only required for tweeter replacement... 

1.  Worth choosing a door coaxial speakers (woofer with embedded tweeter) to avoid need for the labor-intensive removal of the dashboard for the tweeters install?  

example: (I'm mostly-decided on these Audison options)

https://us.audison.eu/products/av-x6-5/ 

instead of...

https://audison.com/product/av-k6/

or to the contrary... 

2. Worth the incremental ~$400 (parts/labor) to go with the Audison AV K6 component speaker set?

If I understand correctly, my shop indicates 3 parts of job are independant work and can be done without the others:

1. Head Unit replacement: Easy, max 1 hr labor charge. 

2. Component speakers (door & a-pillar): Labor intensive due to requirement to remove entire dashboard. 

3. Subwoofer + Amp replacement: Fairly easy on labor, all work done in rear wall enclosure.  

I didn’t need to remove the dashboard to get the tweeters out. They are in the A pillars coverings which simply unclip.  

It’s a pain to get the tweeter out of the A pillar because it is glued in but you don’t even need to do that in the car.  I did it in the kitchen with a bit of heat a sharp screwdriver and a drill. Just go gently.  

The cables are easy to feed through from the top of dash into the footwells.  Again a bit of a pain to then link crossovers in but for an audio shop that should be no trouble at all and the wiring diagram should be easy to find on the web. 

As for your 3 questions:

I would start with the Sub.  Really easy to change and if you add sound deadening makes a big improvement for relatively low outlay.  You could change the amp, but I don’t think it’s essential - depends what you want to achieve I suppose bearing in mind that this is not a well soundproofed highway cruiser!

Then I would do the door speakers and tweeters. I don’t know much about coaxails vs components but if you install coaxails you’re going to end up with redundant parts on the dash.  Plus the 400 speakers are smaller than the older Evora’s so I don’t think the compromise will help you if you are spending a fair few quid (or bucks).

Then I’d test it like that and play with the settings on the existing head unit.  You will be surprised and you may easily save yourself the price of a new head unit.

If you find you still are unhappy after that well it’s only an hours labour to change it!

• 2 months later...

update: completed Audio Upgrade to my 2016 Evora 400

head unit: Alpine ILX-705D

speakers: Hertz MPK 130.3

sub: Audison Prima 8

amp: Audison SR 4.500

Headunit: The new Alpine ILX-705D greatly modernizes the cabin with sharp WXGA (1280 x 720) resolution, enjoyable wireless CarPlay simplicity and ability to adjust equalizers once again. (after Alpine discontinued their TuneIt app and left us all helpless to adjust the stock headunit Alpine INE W990BT)

2 learnings, contrary to original guidance of official dealer service:

1. The dashboard did not require removal.  Only the A-pillars removed for tweeter replacement.

2. Audison Voce AV K6 speaker set (165cm or 16.5") was unable to be custom installed into the doors (standard 130cm or 5.25" hole in Evora 400), as despite the planned enlargement of hole, the rear housing of the Voce AV K6 speaker, which is bulkier housing than shape of possible other 6.5" door speakers, was limited by limit of door depth and the power-window motor mechanism is in the way of an enlarged hole.  Dealer service advised they could probably create the customization with alternative 6.5" speaker set (Hertz MPK 165), but at this point I opted to simplify resolution to use of the smaller standard 5.25" of a Hertz MPK 130, to avoid need for any customized hole and now leaving it stock. 

Sound is fantastic, of course; quality brand and small cabin, now with a bit of sound dampening added in doors and around new sub in right-rear seat wall.

Edited by LostInDubai