Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 165 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Hi Steve, I bought some from Atlanta. They were fitted to the Corvette 1976. I bought one and put it on my S1. Brand new works perfectly. . They are on eBay. I also think they were on the 1976 Chevy, but check this or wait till my new one arrives and I can confirm.

One bulkhead hole drilled. I'm using Sony speakers 4 inch. The speaker rear covers are being made by S and J. Just need to wait for them to arrive and the new fuel tanks, then the rear covers can be fitted. Should finish the interior tomorrow minus final fix of consul (crossgate adjustments), seats and door cards and of course a delay for the new drivers side window motor. Can't wait to see all the interior done. It's been a long time but nearly there. Then I can rebuild the gearbox with the new third gear and get the engine back in! Who knows this might be up and running for the summer! 

• Like 2

Gearbox

All cleaned and vapour blasted. Like the engine I am going to keep some vapour blasted with ACF50 and paint the rest.

I have a brand new third gear to install and have just ordered a new front pinion bearing. I figured I might as well put a new one in then the front bearings are all new. All The rears are very reliable on this gearbox. So with the new third gear I just need to reassemble. I have ordered a spring balance for calibration. I'm enjoying the challenge of the gearbox so far it's straightforward, with only two shafts.

• Love 1

Thanks to Alan Voigts I have a new pinion bearing on the way.

The bulkhead speaker covers just arrived from S and J and next week my new Aluminium tanks arrive from Axminster panels. I have fixed the last little jobs in the cabin and am waitingbfir the seats to be finished. Slowley it's coming together!  Seems like overkill to fit such large speaker covers, still it's authentic! Hats off to S and J who still produce them, well worth the wait. IMG_6869.thumb.JPG.743e8764bc9dc938a78dc0ec6427df9a.JPG

Oh and my new window motor has reached Erlanger Kentucky, where it's been for a few days. £86 delivered from Ohio. If it fits it will be a bargain! 

Was just explaining to my daughter how I have to do lots of works continuously on these cars. She said Its like being Sisyphus. I said who the .... is that? Well here you go! I didn't have any of his characteristics all I did was buy a Lotus! 

In Greek mythology Sisyphus or Sisyphos (/ˈsɪsɪfəs/Ancient Greek: Σίσυφος Sísuphos) was the king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Was just explaining to my daughter how I have to do lots of works continuously on these cars. She said Its like being Sisyphus. I said who the .... is that? Well here you go! I didn't have any of his characteristics all I did was buy a Lotus! 

In Greek mythology Sisyphus or Sisyphos (/ˈsɪsɪfəs/Ancient Greek: Σίσυφος Sísuphos) was the king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill only for it to roll down when it nears the top, repeating this action for eternity

I have referenced Sisyphus from time to time in conversation though not in the context of my enormous time investment on the Esprit as it would apply only in the event of re-doing the same job repeatedly. Progress is made therefore Sisyphus' fate is not for us! Carry on . . ...😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

What was the lead time like on the tanks?

It's been about six weeks.

1 hour ago, drdoom said:

I have referenced Sisyphus from time to time in conversation though not in the context of my enormous time investment on the Esprit as it would apply only in the event of re-doing the same job repeatedly. Progress is made therefore Sisyphus' fate is not for us! Carry on . . ...😎 

The sad thing it seems I have been doing the same jobs again and again to get them better!

Camshaft covers. Has anyone noticed in pictures that the oil filler camshaft cover seems to be fitted with thebfiller hole at the front and sometimes at the rear. Why is this? I would think the filler hole should be at the front, but the cover seems to fit better with the hole at the rear???IMG_5901.thumb.PNG.65bf04a7ce6c13b361c57ca2530a697b.PNGnotice here the writing doesn't match. I would have though pt the Lotus and Turbo markings should all be the same way round?

IMG_6663.thumb.PNG.ae931c9830fa073020e57f7c53212d5a.PNGThe lower picture I would think is correct??

Interesting how they reversed the Turbo on that part,

I would think they put it at the front as the engines originally went into front-engined cars, Jensen, Elite, Eclat, then never bothered to change it until the HC.

Never noticed before that they seem to have inverted the "Turbo" writing on the HC.

Yep but why? I would find it annoying if the words don't match! Maybe the top engine has the cam covers on wrong? Found the pic on the net.IMG_6663.thumb.PNG.ae931c9830fa073020e57f7c53212d5a.PNGThe lower picture I would think is correct??

Yes, but if you put the other way it wont be Bond car accurate :)

It is curious how the crossover pipe came to be wrong, simply seems to have been a cock up in the factory, which they corrected when they re-designed it for the HC.

Those cam covers were native to the wet sump Turbo Esprit for years before fitted to any front engine cars, I believe. Would have thought the filler should be at the aft end, for better access when fitted to Esprit.