Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 175 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Barry's a brave man on the hydraulics!  I sweat the process enough with one hand on the chain and one on the engine suspended over the painted plastic, can't imagine doing it from the tractor cab.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

. I have an engine balancer any suggestions on where to bolt the chain on?

I did not trust the engine not to move about using straps, so I made up tabs to bolt under the caliper mount bolts and one under one of the alternator mount bolts. If the turbo is mounted you might want to grab a bolt on the back side of the transaxle. The chains move about a bit as you tilt the motor, there's some trial and error.

EngineOnHoist (15)small.jpg

EngineFrontLiftPointSmall.jpg

RearLiftSmall.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
17 minutes ago, snowrx said:

Barry's a brave man on the hydraulics!  I sweat the process enough with one hand on the chain and one on the engine suspended over the painted plastic, can't imagine doing it from the tractor cab.

One expert operator - one bloke either side of the car guiding that lump down

Ps - I ain’t the operator 🤪

• Haha 1

Only here once

I bolted an I-beam to my garage ceiling so I can use the cheap Chinese hoist and trolley. Pick it up, roll it back, lower  it onto the engine stand.  Luxury of a 10' ceiling, but if I had built it to 12' I could of had a lift......  

EngineLift (12)small.jpg

• Like 2

Well I was contemplating putting the engine and gearbox in separately, but I think you've shown me the way! I'm going for it very shortly!

Just need to rivet on the undersheild retainer and the underside is finished! Curiously the original retainer seemed  to be fitted with rivets and silicon? It's all coming together rapidly now.

Once the engine is in tailgate and gear lever set up. Fuel, tuning, MoT and  reg change to Bond number. The  last job will be the skis and racks.

I already have the design in my head. After many different ideas I have settled on metal construction with a fiberglass covering. Locking upper racks with the same external appearance as the originals. Wil get Paul at Cranford engineering to make them to my design and I will do the fiberglass work. I won't be making any other sets due to liability reasons. All I can say is they will be better than the film prop originals. 

Timing belt

very easy to install when the engine is on a stand and someone lends you the correct tensioner guage(thanks Jerry!)!

• Like 2

Yes that retainer on mine was riveted and siliconed. Its strange that they did such a good waterproofing job when there are huge gaping holes either side of the chassis backbone which the retainer simply jumps over.

• Like 1

Esso Urinex  N3

This is the lithium based grade 3 grease recommended for the spigot bearing. I can't seem to buy grade three grease in the UK??? What has everyone else done? This grease is usually used on sealed for life bearings. I have ordered some from Germany, but I assume an equivalent grease must be available in the UK. I just can't locate it! 

N2 Moly grease is much more readily available. 

I've always just used standard high temperature lithium grease.  My view is that the Nylatron washer effectively seals the bearing cavity airtight, so I think 'normal' grease will retain its lubricating property for a long time.    Based on the mileage I do and periodical 'engine out' major overhauls, I've not detected any wear or deterioration in the bearing surfaces in over 40K of use.   NB, the bearing has an outer cage and the nose of the input shaft is replaceable, so excessive wear would also be salvageable.

As you say, I assume the grease originally specced, would effectively be for a new car  'lifetime' service interval.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. I have manage: to source grade three grease now but it wasn't easy! I have finally cleaned up the clutch components. I'm not happy with them. I have a new drive plate. There is a slight pitting on the flywheel and pressure plate surface. The flywheel can be ground, so I guess I need a new pressure plate. Althougbthe release bearing turns freely it noisy and has a little too much play for my liking. Money pit come to mind! To top it all the gates alternator belt I bought(same as the one I removed) is too short. Never trust anyone who's been working on a car before you! Has anyone got the gates belt number for the alternator? Thanks.

Well no use bitching. When you have to build you have to build! I have cleaned and examined the clutch components. My assessment is the release bearing is original. It's still smooth, but not perect so it's got to go. There is slight pitying on the pressure plate - that's got to go! The clutch plate is new. The flywheel teeth are perfect, but also slight pitting. That can be resurfaced so it's off to my favourite engineer. Paul at Cranford engineering in Leathrhead. He's about the only person I trust to carry out my engineering jobs!

All the pressure plate bolts are being replaced and the cranckshaft bolts fitted with Loctite. Then I'm replacing the spigot bearing with a new one and a spacer made by S and J, that stops the bearing pushing into the crank. Essential unless you take the risk of the clutch shaft drilling the side of the crank. I also have a new Nylatron washer. The pressure plate is the later round finger type with the flat release bearing. The Clutch shaftbis also the later one with the metal reinforcement sleeve. 

Basically im replacing all of it! It better drive like New as most of it is new! 

Ive had to watch FYEO to get some motivation. Maybe if Carole Bouqet turned up I might get more enthusiastic! This has been a long journey! 

32 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

ve had to watch FYEO to get some motivation. Maybe if Carole Bouqet turned up I might get more enthusiastic! This has been a long journey

😄I’ll do that as well at times Fabian and I’ve only been at it a couple of years now. Nothing compared to you. The old girl keeps me off the couch and doing her type of yoga. Add Singapore heat and humidity to it for extra flavour. Masochism in a way but I still like it. My neighbours have declared me crazy some time ago. Who cares, they don’t get it.. It’s the journey, not the destination. The destination will be epic with your car. Can’t wait to see it finished. 

• Like 1

Ad initium

I dont have those on mine. 

The chassis tubes run in the two diagonal raised parts on the rear edge. The panel bangs against the tubes at that point unless you put some rubber boot seal on the edge there.

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps. With put some rubber on the edge.

Half way through riveting the retainer my rivet gun broke! I dashed to screwfix and bought another, that broke too! I have ordered a Bacho one which looks better quality. The rivets are all in but the tails are not broken off in one side. The new rivet gun arrives today. What a pain! Still this bit is almost done. I had to replace several rivnuts. It does look good under there now! I used a black epoxy boat paint. I'm thinking maybe I should have used raptor coat. You really need a lift for these jobs. Rolling around the floor getting covered in fiberglass dust isn't much fun at my age! 

The  three lugs on the flywheel just knock out. They need to be removed so the wheel can be ground back properly. A simple job for the right engineer! I am replacing the six set screws that hold the pressure plate, as it's good practice. Will post some spigot  bearing pics when I've replaced it. Silly not to as it's an easy job and the bearing is only £7. The spacer made by S and J is an excellent idea. No clutch shaft problems in the future. I have some new heat sheild material for the Turbo heatsheild. I also have a pattern thanks to Steve on here. I replaced the studs on the cam housing, as the ones on there were missing and set screws had been used. The studs allow for spacers. Seems to me there should be two sheild s separated by spacers? Anyone got any pics of the original set up?IMG_7396.thumb.PNG.23de31aeb73031b6bd9b34513a5458e2.PNG

Rolling around the floor getting covered in fibreglass is no fun at any age.....unless you are of a certain masochistic disposition!

You must be chuffed to be so close to finishing this amazing looking project Fabian.....I'm just hoping to get mine actually roadworthy!   On the subject of which, would you mind commenting on my recent post asking for help on wiper module positioning/fixing?

• Like 1

Unless you've got a time machine I'd estimate longer. Perhaps you can recommission Concorde and fly that around the world a few times?

If you do, please let me know.

Mine has been tuned now and runs well, but still a lot of work to do. Glass and surround trim look great also. Thanks for your input.

• Haha 1