Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 191 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

I'm using a generic Walbro 255lph pump on mine.  Probably overkill for this application, but common and inexpensive here with the right input barb diameter.

19 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Im starting to think I must add an inline filter before the pump. My S1 has a filter before the carbs and I have never had an issue that is fuel related. I was enjoying the first drive until this happened. The Turbo boost was Impressive. There seemed to be quite a few passers by who were enjoying the fact I had broken down! Never mind I shall confuse the hell out of them when I break down with skis on the car! If its winter I might be able to ski home.😄😄😄😄

The next issue is the suspension. The rear still sits too high. It needs a full geometric align. I have new springs for the rear but I cant see they will have much effect on ride height. Maybe adjustable shocks are the only way to go. 

Im trying to source another fuel pump. The one I had on there was quite noisy. Can anyone recomend one?

Fabian, the rear bushes should not be torqued up until the engine is in and driven for a bit. You may find the top link bushes have shredded themselves if, allow the body to settle.

• Gold FFM

Stick it on a “W” and stick the “X” plates in the boot, just been to a show sir! 

Did you get that on DVLA I am surprised that was still available. Unless I missed something in this thread 

23 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Yep, my new plate. Nearly the end of a very long journey!

Fabian, I'm no where near finished my Esprit to your level or standard but your posts have been invaluable when it comes to my rebuild, many thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/10/2019 at 07:37, Lotusfab said:

IMG_0676.thumb.JPG.87df466181a7586936cbedeba8d9804d.JPGIMG_0370.thumb.JPG.3c4dde08da9ae524f70247cfbec7fb1b.JPG

Great attention to detail Fab, the TSWLM Esprit has a drooping left side headlight pod....you've replicated it perfectly on your car! Car is looking fab....can't wait to see it out and about.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stuart O said:

Fabian, I'm no where near finished my Esprit to your level or standard but your posts have been invaluable when it comes to my rebuild, many thanks. 

Glad they are of use. Good luck with the rebuild.

11 hours ago, v8vantage said:

Great attention to detail Fab, the TSWLM Esprit has a drooping left side headlight pod....you've replicated it perfectly on your car! Car is looking fab....can't wait to see it out and about.

Thanks Roo, I noticed that as well. A weird coincidence, or is it?😄😄😄

I had a quick look at the car to try and find out why the engine cut out. The fuel pump appears to be working. I couldnt hear it against the road noise whenI broke down. The fault I believe lies in the ignition system. Either the new coil  or the lumenition amp. I copied the amp wiring from what was there before. Big mistake!  The circuit and advice from the company who made the amp say never take the positive feed from the ignition coil. Use the feed on the other side of the ballast resistor. Anyhow diagnostics will sort it all out. I look forward to shimming the suspension and perfecting the drive.

Maybe the original Lumenition was OK. They all should be fed from direct 12V from the inertia switch, with the ballast resistor in series with the coil only. Anyway its useful to have a spare since thats pretty much the only electronic item in the car which can fail without warning.

Well what was wrong? Car extensively examined.  Ignition system rewired. Voltage has increase at the coil. I checked the amp and coil. It gives a really big spark now! That wasnt the problem. I found a broken connectormin the ignition harness, this to my suprise didnt fix it. Well, I was correct the first time. The new fuel pump had failed. It hums when its powered but no pressure. It rattles and has suffered a Mechanical failure. So this time another new pump and an expensive Sytec inline 12 mm filter. This will be fitted before the pump. End of issue I hope.

• Like 1

I fitted SGS struts to the S1. I picked them up from the factory near Derby on my way home from the Midlands. Smart place.

Really good quality, and better than the odd pair SJ had originally sent me. Cheaper too.

• Thanks 1

I have them on mine, excellent. I will be sending them the gullwing door struts from my AZ-1 tomorrow, they can re-gas them if the seals are in spec and these are special non-available struts.

• Thanks 1

Cant argue for the money they are excellent. The issue is the end connetors are different for the Turbo. They sit about 2 mm further out so you cant get a washer on just. a split pin or Rclip. Just the pin is enough to secure the strut though. I have a new fuel pump coming which matches the original spec - allegedly. As we all know thats not always the case. Lets see how long it lasts! I will be rejoining the AA!

The Louvres will be ready next week sprayed satin black. Im now starting the ski racks. The objective make them as close as possible to the originals, but fully functional with locks. I shant put any details on here as I dont want to be responsible if someone was to copy them and the design failed. Just pics of the end products. 

I had considered approaching the design team at Thule to let them comment on my design, aftr all they are the experts.