Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 192 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

The new pump,supplied by Simon bbc ebay is Lucas 4FP spec. Lets see how long it lasts. It has an anti vibration mount. The inline filter is 12 mm both ends and has a paper filter that can be swapped out. Its mounted on clips. I will fix to the  inner bulkhead. So filter, pump, filter engine. Should be bullet proof after this! 

I was very impressed by the size of the spark given out my the Mega spark 4  coil. Its the largest I have seen. You wouldn't want to get a shock off it! 

Word of caution regarding powerful spark systems as the Lotus engine, like most modern designs, has a very efficient combustion chamber which does not require much in order to light off the charge at the low boost levels used. What high voltage levels will encourage are ground-fault arcs due to dielectric breakdown. Fit high quality HT leads in all cases and use silicone dielectric grease where the boots fit over the plugs, watch out for cap/rotor failures and keep spares for each on board. 

Cheers

• Like 2

Yes, I was informed that cap and rotor arm failures can be common on S1s and I carry spares just in case.

A lot easier to replace than on a Turbo I expect.

Nothing wrong or awkward about my S1 tailgate.

TBH with at least 3 additional years of development I wouldn't expect the Esprit Turbo to be anything else but be better than an S1.

I have never been able to get the tailgate to work pefectly. The rubber inner tube seal is not effective if the tailgate sits flush. If the spring is adjusted so the tailgate pops up high enough to grt your fingers in the tailgate operation is erratic. The solution secondary seals as per the later cars. Great if you have managed to get it to work. Can you do mine?

I never had any problems TBH.

Even using the original style inner tube seal. Though I have followed the original diligently. Including using the 'D' section foam on the corners under the seal. Gluing both with expensive special Super Glue style stuff. The hatch fits perfectly and pops up with a reassuring 'thunk'.

Adjustment of the latch took a bit of effort, but works well. Though the new cable release is a bit too long I think.

Even the demister circuit works via the hinges. Which I expected to be troublesome.

The hardest parts I found is setting the doors. Both the alignment and drop glass travel. Even with Bill Galbraith's dual up/down relays to help deliver current more efficiently.

Window resistance problems are probably the motors. The permanent magnets loose their magnetism and the torque reduces masively. Easily solved witha new AC Delco motor. The tailgate has annoyed me ever since I put it on. When I get time I may have another go. It needs D seal all the way around in my opinion.

The drop glass runs well, especially with the additional relays fitted to later series. Just not quite well enough when the window frames are aligned to the body. Further adjustment is required that's all.

8" of thin 'D' foam on the rubber seal was only fitted around the corners on my rear hatch. They harden over time, but the new stuff works very well. Pity we don't live closer to each other. We could trade rear hatch fitting and window frame fettling skills!

• Thanks 1

No, I don't follow national car shows, so I'm not aware of what's going on at the NEC. It's too far to go besides. Though I still own a place in Worcestershire. I wouldn't be going in the Esprit that's for sure. Have you seen that car park?!

The only way that you're likely to see my car is if you're up in North Yorkshire at any point.

40 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

NEC largest indoor classic car show. Next month. I thought  you might dipslay it?

https://www.thenec.co.uk/whats-on/classic-motor-show/

No, it's of little interest to me TBH. Besides I wouldn't know how to display it as I am not a member of any car club.

I just drive them!

I do intend to take the S1 over the Pennines next April to this event though. Hence all the road testing whilst there's fine weather. It'll be an "adventure" for it that is for certain.

https://www.starsandcarsevents.co.uk/

They are lining up many cars and props from the movies in aid of Derian House, a children's hospice in Chorley. https://www.derianhouse.co.uk/ As the event is the week that Bond 25/No Time To Die is released in the cinemas they've got quite an impressive Bond car line-up planned and were wanting an S1 to complete it. They posted last year on the Facebook Esprit groups asking, but only I responded unfortunately. So I've been busy trying to get mine up to speed, so to speak. Fingers crossed....

• Like 1

On 25/10/2019 at 14:41, Fridge said:

I do intend to take the S1 over the Pennines next April to this event though. Hence all the road testing whilst there's fine weather. It'll be an "adventure" for it that is for certain.

https://www.starsandcarsevents.co.uk/

They are lining up many cars and props from the movies in aid of Derian House, a children's hospice in Chorley. https://www.derianhouse.co.uk/ As the event is the week that Bond 25/No Time To Die is released in the cinemas they've got quite an impressive Bond car line-up planned and were wanting an S1 to complete it. They posted last year on the Facebook Esprit groups asking, but only I responded unfortunately. So I've been busy trying to get mine up to speed, so to speak. Fingers crossed....

This is the first time Ive seen anything about it. I certainly don't want to steal your thunder, but if your unable to make it I would be happy to show my S1. Its only down the road from me. Although not in as pristine condition as yours and doesn't have the tartan interior, it wold probably do if they couldn't get a 'proper' one.

Fuel guage not working!

Ok so I have investigated this heres what I discovered. the Turbo has a Low fuel light and a fuel guage. When the fuel is low the light comes on. The sender is a variable resistor. ie the resistance changes as the arm moves up and down. It also has a switch built in. When the arm is at its lowest pointbthe switch activates. Because of this the W and T connections must be the correct was around and the sender must support the switch function. Im in the process of removing the new sender to test it as allmif the wiring to the guage and Low fuel light is working. Easily tested by shortingbthe two sender wires to earth. Better to do this before you have built is all! 

Well I have teted the sender. It has a W and T terminal. It doesnt work because the plate isnt earthed.  If I connected the green /black to one terminal and the earth to the other the fuel guage would work but the Low fuel,light wouldn't. The correct sender for tye Turbo has a spade earth connection on the top. I have one arriving tomorrow. I was discussing this with Andy on here. It might be possible to test the low fuel light by driving quiklynaround a roundabout. The fuel should drain from the right tank. Mightnlook a bit odd to onlookers thought! Ill think Ill test it before I install it! 

Its very frustrating how many new parts dont work 100 per cent. Always better to use original parts if at all possible.

Now back on to the ski racks!