Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 195 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Happy days Fabian, the offer is there mate. 

She looks gorgeous now, you must get some shots of them together once the ski racks are done. You can’t beat a turbo with comps and Goodyear highlighting IMHO.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

21 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

I found that there were significant inconsistencies between old and new diaphragms

Yes, SJ are supplying the wrong ones which doesnt help, if you get them from there, and also the ones for the HC and LC are different so I think other suppliers are also getting these wrong.

• Like 1

I got all the carb parts from Eurocarb Rob there is very helpfulful. They cleaned them and replaced the air sealed bearings and adjusted the buterfles I did all the rest. Very easy it all just screws together.  Oh, and they also repaired the broken float mounts - excellent job. My only error not calibrating the pump jets. I probably will take it all apart and do just that, unless I can get it to work perfectly. A shame as everything else is great! I am especially pleased with my gearbox rebuild - Its very smooth and the clutch is also perfect. So many things could have gone wrong, but didnt. I wont be doing it again though!

Im now deep into the ski racks. The glass cloth Im using is too thin and has cause ripples in my styrofoam plugs. At least I can use isopon now the Epoxy layer is on. It will take a lot of work to get them to standard.Then its pVa release agent gel coat and four layers of fibreglass and polyester resin  to make the moulds. When these are done twenty coats of wax and then cast the final racks. The lower rack being split into two moulds. Should take about a week to make two moulds. Then I still have the other to do!

once these are done I have to make the aluminium ski holders that will sit underneath! 

• Like 1

Wheel align

I have used the string method to set a rough front tracking. I have a laser tool but its tricky to use. Now its in the ball park I can drive safely. 

I am convinced all of the springs on my car are the wrong length, I have ordered a full set and will replace all of them. The ride height is still too high. I measured it at 190 mm from the lower rear chasis to the ground. It should be about 170 mm.

With these cars when they are in one piece the real work starts trying to perfect them! 

• Like 2

Well why was my car sitting too high? I thinknthe previous owner must have been into Monster trucks! Heres his spring and the correct one! I now have to replace all of thIMG_0610.thumb.JPG.9f853ec38dcfdbcef7e019b9f1bb8e20.JPGem!

Im going to beat this car!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

Wheel align

I have used the string method to set a rough front tracking. I have a laser tool but its tricky to use. Now its in the ball park I can drive safely. 

I am convinced all of the springs on my car are the wrong length, I have ordered a full set and will replace all of them. The ride height is still too high. I measured it at 190 mm from the lower rear chassis to the ground. It should be about 170 mm.

With these cars when they are in one piece the real work starts trying to perfect them! 

Yes, I used the string method to align the wheels on mine. Replicating the system illustrated in the S3/ET WSM which was sent to me by @RichardJGC 

Very fiddly, bordering on tedious, but definitely gets them into a reasonable position. Mine will go off for professional balancing and alignment shortly. Can't wait.

I'm not sure about the "real work begins", but you're right this stage is when the car comes alive. I'm REALLY enjoying driving mine.

Those springs though ..... wild. 

• Like 1

Got the second rear soring to do. Im really not looking forward to replacing the front springs! They should arrived today from S and J. Its mores gauling as I have already restored this bit!

Front springs also replaced now. Theres and excellent guide on the Lotus Esprit World website on how to remove the springs. You split the upper wishbone, it makes it so much easier! 

Ive nearly finished the top RHS ski rack plug. Its taken hours and hours to sand and shape. Ive also started the smoothing of the lower rack plug. Im using Isopon P38 over the styrofoam which now has glass cloth and epoxy resin over it to stop the foam from melting! Laborious process to say the least. If the plugs are perfect there will be a lot less work required to the  moulds.

• Like 2

Fabian, if I may hijack your journey for a moment - regarding interior trim, specifically the largest piece of material which covers the dash broadly. Does this also cover the scuttle right up to the base of the screen? I'm looking at my bolt-on dash finisher ( that which includes the glove box ) and suspect the method is to trim it on the bench leaving additional material sufficient to then glue over the scuttle once attached. Correct?

Steve 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I think I know what you are refering to.

IMG_0629.thumb.PNG.9594895816cc9cf99cced56872a8d32e.PNGThe scuttle area is trimed with a piece of material or leather as above. It needs to bend over the top slightly to cover the area that can be seen if you dont block out the lower part of the front screen with tape or black screen colourant. It also extends to the lower area so the other bit of dash sits on top of the end. 

IMG_0630.thumb.PNG.dcae78d7dc252fdb922107fe343fda7f.PNGThis part is trimmed on the bench. You need to replace the foam when you trim it to get the material to sit correctly. 

To be clear they are trimmed separately in the same material. As above.

The cars nearly sorted. I had an anoying smell of pertrol. I checked everything. As everything is new I couldnt understand it. Andy helped in that I thought the petrol caps were a bit loose. He pointed out a spring behind the seal presses it into place. A slight bend on the spring and ten minutes later both fitted much better. Hey presto, no fuel smell! 

Its really nice to drive. Cant believe its nearly sorted! Not  sure it will handle when the skis are on! 

Loving the look of the car, Fabian.

A controversial alternative to the fibreglass ski racks are these I made up in ploy carbonate and stainless steel.  skis held in place with rubber tree ties...

Racks drilled into car and held in place by bolting onto a large steel plate running along the underside of the top and bottom of the tailgate.  As tailgate shrinks when bolts are tightened, tube spacers are in place along the bolts to keep that gap a uniform size.

fotos show finished rear cradle and first fit to the my S3.

see you on the slopes...  :)

5F40E770-AE7D-4485-BE77-0A8E764D4A4C.jpg

72D435E0-14D0-4BA6-B62B-701F1205B014.jpg

• Like 2