Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 239 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

37 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

Don't think I'd be drilling holes in it if it were mine!

DC7126FD-54DD-4BFB-9CC4-76D327B4EFD1.thumb.jpeg.ba330cc47c6da2bbc5a6177e3d6754f4.jpegThere going to be a lot of holes, hopefully in the correct place. I have gone around and around with this decision. I am going to finish the ski racks to the best standard Incan and then decide. At the moment I am making 2 mm thick steel drilling templates. Theres no margin for error with this attachment method. Seems a waste of years of work if I don't install them. They are possibly as close to the originals as you can get, but this time they arn’t film props. They are surprisingly light, especially the upper rack mechanism which is partly aluminium. 

• Like 1

If I do put them on I will test them on a track and film it. 9D4C0867-75D4-4210-A050-2EAD0E68612C.thumb.jpeg.209aa2e4d2b9ec7052064871acac5ff8.jpegTrouble is I have gone to extreme lengths to copy this car. Without the skis its just another Copper fire Esprit.

034364AB-C616-4077-9A74-B4209DF98595.thumb.jpeg.61c0807ac0d2a0188d22f3b5d41da40e.jpeg

A624AEDE-E754-4591-B1E1-34A40EC780D3.thumb.png.94971541ca013a9a105448ff1818eba2.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

If I do put them on I will test them on a track and film it. Trouble is I have gone to extreme lengths to copy this car. Without the skis its just another Copper fire Esprit.

Yes it's your car and your money so do as you please obviously. However, sooner or later it will be sold that's inevitable and in my humble opinion having ski racks and skis on it will devalue it. There will be small number of people who will smile as you drive round suburbia wearing skis but a larger number will be less complimentary I'm willing to bet. If I were to buy such a car the first thing I'd do is get rid of them as I'd feel a bit of a cock riding round with them. I'm sure most of the people on here will probably disagree but they're slightly biased! As I say it's your dime.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Well, I think that’s a bit of an understatement Fabian. With or without the racks this is likely still the #1 copper fire turbo esprit out there. It’s like a new car with incredible attention to detail. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ad initium

Thanks chaps, both valid points. I suppose If I were to sell I could always fill the holes and respray. Alternatively someone else might want to be James Bond!😄😄😄😄

I’m with you Fabian, this has been your dream build with a bond replica vision in mind, you’ve travelled across the globe to obtain accuracy so fit the racks. The FYEO car is still iconic and recognised with bond being timeless, it’s going to look fab when done 😁😉

Dave :) 

• Like 2

Do or do not, there is no try! 

5 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

Thanks chaps, both valid points. I suppose If I were to sell I could always fill the holes and respray. Alternatively someone else might want to be James Bond!😄😄😄😄

I don't know how much you've spent and I dread to ask, so I won't but if you were to sell and want to get your money back your prospective buying audience is more likely to be a serious car collector than a middle aged man who has aspirations of being James Bond.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

If you translate the movie to reality the ski racks were removeable. When it was in Q's workshop it didnt have them I believe (someone correct me if I missed them, its a dark scene).

OK we know that the prop ski racks were mounted through holes. But it would be more true to the script and also a better all-round car if they were removeable IMHO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

I just looked it up and it was Jan 2018 when I made the first trip to Florida to see the Bond car. Then I made a second visit as my styrofoam plugs weren’t correct. I have been making these racks for almost 2.5 years now. It seems a shame not to put them on. , especially after my design was given a thumbs up by an engineer I know. I am thinking it would be simple to fill the holes and repaint the tailgate, If thats someones preference.
There have been quite a lot of other people that have installed ski racks of one sort or another. I have spent hundreds, probably thousands of hours making these as close to the originals as possible. All the points made are valid and thanks all for the input. I will finish them and then make the decision. If they come out as I expect I will be very tempted to install them. For the moment I am spending all day every day to complete the racks, at last they are moving forward to the finish with most of the work done. I have almost completed a prototype lockable mechanism for the upper racks. Today I shall paint and fibreglass the lower mounts into position. I am probably a week from prepping these for spraying. I already have another litre of specially mixed copper fire paint ready to go. Lots of pictures when they are done, regardless of whether I install them or not.
On another subject is anyone interested in getting some of the front and rear abs plastic door finishers that fit to the inside of the door? I can make them out of ABS plastic, but It will take a lot of time. I was thinking if there are enough of us I could ask Mike at Lotusbits how much he would want to manufacture them.

Looking at your design of the ski racks and the possibility of drilling the bodywork, there could be a way of avoiding this, being a qualified designer I may have a solution. Also I have an aerospace vacuum bag system and could easily reproduce them in fibreglass or better still in kevlar or carbon fibre. 

• Gold FFM

I would like a set of the ABS door finishers for sure - mine are missing front and rear of both doors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James.007 said:

Looking at your design of the ski racks and the possibility of drilling the bodywork, there could be a way of avoiding this, being a qualified designer I may have a solution. Also I have an aerospace vacuum bag system and could easily reproduce them in fibreglass or better still in kevlar or carbon fibre. 

Hi James, thanks. The only two issues with an alternative solution are time and cost. I have a solution that is almost done and don’t want to spend any more as I am 50 per cent over my initial budget already. I can’t face any more iterations of this at the moment.

You have to fit the ski racks Fab, they make the car...otherwise it's just another brown Esprit! I would buy another hatch and have it as an alternate, spray it up in the right colour and fit it for normal driving.

• Thanks 1

Thats my dream garage!

I’m not the only one then thats fits skis! I think at the end of the day Roos argument will win and there is a lot of Wisdom in what William said. At the end of the day I am making this car for me and no one else. I think I have got to drill the tailgate and put the skis on! 

• Like 1

Went to all that trouble but fitted the wrong size skis and wrong bindings. Doesn't anyone pay attention to detail anymore....other than Fab.  Ultimate garage would be to have the actual Bond cars in there rather than replicas.IMG_20200702_180359502.jpg

Lovely car!

Nice to see diamond-cut BBS wheels. All S3 and Turbo Esprit should either be fitted with Compomotive or diamond-cut BBS IMHO.

The original factory BBS grey detracts from these cars.

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I think Imam going to realise the dream and start drilling very soon. I am busy making a refined version of the upper rack mechanism. I have had to use a rivnut! Yes Lotus have forced this on me!

Edited by Bibs