Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 260 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

Mmm, thats interesting. It did cross my mind that the throttle could never have worked on my car, as I installed the bracket as it came off - a bit of a mystery! 
If you buy a project car that hasn’t run in many many years and has been tinkered with these are all the issues you can expect. My advice to anyone is unless you have deep pockets and know these cars well, buy one that has been running. It should have a history of continuous spending, maintenance and check the mot for the miles driven every year. One that has been standing for years and never moved will need a lot of spending and work to bring back to life. 

I was disappointed I hadn’t picked up on the throttle issue, especially considering how many times I have been messing around  with the engine. Obvious now to check full throttle movement before connecting the cable! What I was pleased with is the ignition timing and jetting was almost spot on and was all done by me through trial and error. It goes to show if you don’t give up you can achieve good results. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

was disappointed I hadn’t picked up on the throttle issue

It’s one of the most overlooked things it seems on the later Fuel injected cars - you needs a computer to check it shows 100%. Two of my cars were not doing so when I got them.

• Like 1

Only here once

6 hours ago, Buddsy said:

I had gone for slightly larger 42 jets (over the original 40 jets). I remember other people saying the 45 idle jets were the best for engine performance.

Are you planning to try to pass the MOT with those in or are you going to swap back to the 40 jets?

Its a bit of a ball ache if you have to change back you will need to tune to suit and then go back and do it again when you fit the 45 jets.

buddsy

Its only got one more MOT. I may give it a go as is, sometimes the pipe falls out of the exahust!

• Haha 1

I've had a look at my linkage and cant see what the problem is, so presumably its a completely different design.   There is about 4" of inner cable between the bracket & the carb linkage, but full deflection of the throtle uses maybe only 2.5" of inner cable.    The bracket is straight as a die and would not be particularly easy to bend as it's "L" section.   Unfortunately, I can no longer easily post photos to illustrate.   

Looking at the bracket, I do wonder if its reversible and possible to fit upside down? 

This is what mine looks like. The bracket has to be bent across to the left otherwise the lever fouls it.

As far as I can remember the part of the lever which contacts the throttle stop screw hits the spring where it goes through the hole in the bracket.

20210616_145701.jpg

Well it's the same bracket.   However, I think your spring is different.   Mine has a much less pronounced kink - see where yours bends to bypass the cable trunnion?   Mine has a slight kink but completely bisects that trunnion effectively locking it in the lever.   Also I think my spring may have longer 'legs' as its in the same orientation as yours bur appears to be tucked further under the throttle linkage.

Maybe that's why you both have the same issue!   To the best of my knowledge, mine's original and from a design point of view, it seems to make sense to perform a captive function on the trunnion.  Is yours a replacement part? 

Mine is the same as Andy’s and Fabian’s. The spring fouls the bracket. I put a spring on the main spring to pull it clear of the contact area. 

F22E5F53-A882-4BE3-AE33-1440B8D936B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Ad initium

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...