Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation - Page 84 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Turbo project car - part3 - the further continuation

There was a peg that fitted in the hole to hold the clamp down. The rear bracket is broken and has been glued. They are made of fiberglass.

They are curved and shaped like an aerofoil. They lean in buy about 20 degrees from the verticle.

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.74e180b4e30eadd6419173807dba12bc.JPGIMG_0484.thumb.JPG.f214ed7b0ead4e3d8cfeb5819b82cdfd.JPGIMG_0497.thumb.JPG.1869eda509941bb3ca758f92429546da.JPGIMG_0498.thumb.JPG.e2ff1b954a68e298ba0605cab3a8ccfb.JPGIMG_0477.thumb.JPG.9816d110c98546fd32394c84dcc03e0b.JPG

There are three bolts holding the upper racks on and the metal bonded to each holder wraps around the tailgate at the leading edge.

The upper rack has a hollow end where the bracket fits through, it's then pinned into position. Very flimsy wooden door hinge!

My thinking about paint code is it might be Monaco White :)

Thats the reason I was suggesting checking, not in respect of the Copper.

Yeah I know they likely amended the plate but I thought it would be worth checking.

All the wheels are rolled edge. 

Ahh my friend checked every part of the Copper car extensively and saw no signs of white anywhere! . The plaque said it had been resprayed and colour changed, but whoever sprayed it did a flawless job.

I did not check the vin plate☹️

What I want  to know is who on here has been over there measuring and not shared the info?

I was invited back today at no extra charge but it’s a long way! The original S1 is there and I’m happy to say the interior of my S1 and the Tartan  is a spot on copy, even down to how the door Tartan is folded.Steve Fulcher has done a first class job on my S1, but then again his dad did the original and the patterns used were identical. Here’s the S1 which I was also given access to! Will put these pics on my S1 blog.8CEB860A-3EF8-4312-98C4-72FD15BB78DA.thumb.jpeg.7f63a11b2b3322292aec1710d7ff3b36.jpeg2C4C5F04-AE47-4BC7-BBF2-BB3E5661D378.thumb.jpeg.f18ea6ce7d894b0c75a6d2abb63cf85b.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Lotusfab said:

I did not check the vin plate☹️

Arrrghh! 

If the plate said A19 that would not have been any significance. They may have fitted a new plate as is likely. But if it said L25 that would have been irrefutable proof this was also one of the white cars. Do you think they might be able to have a look themselves having made the contact? It would only take them a few seconds.

That's could be difficult. It does say in the plaque the car was white and resprayed.

There is a Lotus in the main hall next to some other very prestigious cars. It looks very much like the car done by an American who has his own resto website Rene Oten something! Looks fab!

Can’t seem to post anymore due upload. Will try later.

Really recommend the museum. They had two Aston DB5s. One with rotating number plates the other from the movie Dr No. worth a trip to Florida just to see it all. It goes on and on. 

So can anyone reading this help me with the project? I’m looking for a cockpit stereo and the front wheel lips, even if you only have one it would help. The stereo doesn’t need to be working. Thanks.

Brilliant info Fabian!! I hope you enjoyed your exclusive access.

As I previously stated you would not find any evidence of  a colour change judging by NCL and MPW Lotus are expert car builders not a coachworks.

The big questions for me is did the white car have a N/A engine and does the Copper car have an interior plaque fitted like NCL?

Cheers Mike:)

Edited by G_Reaper2

Hi Mike,

unfortunately did get to see the white car for long. There were no plaques inside the Copper car but the was an plaque on a stand stating it had been resprayed. Think my mate took a picture of it so will ask him!

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

My thinking about paint code is it might be Monaco White :)

Thats the reason I was suggesting checking, not in respect of the Copper.

Yeah I know they likely amended the plate but I thought it would be worth checking.

Ahhh, forgot to photo the vin as too much going on as I will explain when I see you. All I can say is it states clearly on the plaque next to the car that it was originally white and resprayed to Copper Fire.

IMG_0504.thumb.JPG.49b073f81338183bc74d55981dd11168.JPG

Ahh, and here's how deep those wheel centres are! They are 70 mm diameter. Allow about three mm for the end of the ruler, the markings don't go to the end! 

I hate people who are secretive and don't pass on information so that their car is better. I hope you build the best cars you possibly can so  here's all the info, good luck!

What I can say is, so far all the attempts at ,replicating this car have been pretty inaccurate due to a lack of info. The biggest problem has been the paint colour and interior colours.I have solved all these and shared the info on here.  You can get the original paint colour from  Neil at Thompson Body Repair. The leather from Conelly and the carpet match Neil's paint colour. Terracotta/Rust colour. Get Steve Fulcher to trim it and you will have the best possible copy, happy days! ??????????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

White paint on the lettering is a right mess. And the black paint around the vent in the bonnet is different to what I expected

Glad the Copper Fire is a match - would hate to have been there if it wasn’t!!:cry:

That’s bizarre re black paint round the vent. Last week I arranged to have mine done just like that because to me it looks better following the line of the vent.

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

All forum members should be indebted to people who, as yourself, share info.

Especially those who carefully document entire rebuild projects. This can be hugely time-consuming. But project threads can be really inspiring to others who wish to restore similar cars. 

More specifically on the Bond cars I doubt that anyone will create another copper fire FYEO replica but that does not diminish in any way the value of your investigations. Its much like an archaelogical study, the information is not necessarily used by anyone else to create replicas but as an accurate historical record. 

Well said Andy.  Agree entirely.

I'm intrigued by the piece of carpet visible to the left in the engine bay shot.

I don't remember seeing any carpet that far down in a Turbo......perhaps an idea that didn't make it through to production?

• Thanks 1

Had another look at todays posts.

assuming the was white story is correct I guess the interior was new also which therefore amazes me the wear on it.