Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Avon ZZR's or Trofeo R's that is the question!!?? - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Avon ZZR's or Trofeo R's that is the question!!??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

No, of course they won't. (I'm very happy with my ZZRs anyway).

Just pointing things out to the uninitiated...

How have you found them on track compared to the stock tyres?

Amazing. But bear in mind that I'm running them on an Evora S so my car is probably a couple of hundred kilos heavier than your's.

However, I bought my set at the beginning of last year. I probably did 5 or 6 trackdays last year and the same again this year. After all of those days (including driving to and from the tracks, including Oulton Park and Spa), I've still got several mms of tread left. These ZZRs really are amazing.

4 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Amazing. But bear in mind that I'm running them on an Evora S so my car is probably a couple of hundred kilos heavier than your's.

However, I bought my set at the beginning of last year. I probably did 5 or 6 trackdays last year and the same again this year. After all of those days (including driving to and from the tracks, including Oulton Park and Spa), I've still got several mms of tread left. These ZZRs really are amazing.

That's great to hear with tyre wear so a bloody good investment then!

Did they switch on quickly and roughly how many laps did you do a spa before they went off?

I assume you ran then at 30psi once hot?

Yep, I always run them at 30psi hot (as advised by Avon).

I couldn't really tell you much about them 'switching on', I'm afraid. (I'm obviously no F1 driver on Pirelli slicks!. But each trackday follows a similar pattern: arrive with 30psi in the tyres. After the sighting laps, the tyres have warmed up a bit so I let a little pressure out in order to maintain 30psi. Then I generally wait for a bit (in order to let the usual, 'must get out first' gunho types get things out of their system). Then I'll head out for a shortish session, primarily to get myself warmed up. But the tyre pressure will also increase to 32-34psi so I let it back down to 30psi. From that point on, me and the tyres are good to go. They never really 'go off' after that, if I'm honest. The pressures obviously drop a bit during the cooldown between sessions but it soon gets back up to 30psi. The tyres just keep on gripping and the fuel generally runs out before the grip does.

• Like 2

That was really helpful thank you Jonny and just what I needed to hear.

Long and short is......buy a set of Avon ZZR's!

Once I get an email back from Avon confirming I can get a set I will order my team dynamics alloy wheel set.

Dave I think you said you had a set in gloss black and Hanager111 I'm waiting to hear back from them if they have the Matt black in stock as they have gloss black.

No rush as the weather will turn soon unless we have another winters drout but I just want to get a set ready for as and when it warns up and stays dry!

So far everyone has been hugely helpful with anything lotus related unlike BMW!

With ZZRs make sure you don't run them under-inflated. This can cause them to peal at the outer edge of the tread. Best to do as Jonny says and come down to 30psi, rather than start low hoping they'll come up to it. Not saying anybody was intending to, just people some do and these tyres wouldn't like it.

Noted thanks Martyn

I usually start on 30 psi on track let them warm up then check again and adjust as required.

I then always refill with the correct air when leaving track to go home and still check if going out cold onto track what the psi is to be 100% safe and look after my tyres.

My old M4 did 9k miles and 6 track days before the new set of cups and that car was never driven easy!

On 10/23/2016 at 14:38, Bravo73 said:

After the sighting laps, the tyres have warmed up a bit so I let a little pressure out in order to maintain 30psi. Then I generally wait for a bit (in order to let the usual, 'must get out first' gunho types get things out of their system). Then I'll head out for a shortish session, primarily to get myself warmed up. But the tyre pressure will also increase to 32-34psi so I let it back down to 30psi. From that point on, me and the tyres are good to go.

I'm exactly the same, to the letter :) 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• 1 month later...

So all suited and booted now with new TD alloys and ZZRs......oh and upgrade pagid break pads and a full GEO for gentle track set up......I was at Silverstone today for the PureGT day and the car was just sublime!

The grip the Avons give is just awesome and I did 16 laps until my fuel ran low before coming in they just kept going on and on! 

I was able to carry far more speed through corners, turn in later and harder then let the chassis do the work of pulling it around the corners at speed. These Exiges are just special things for the money.

So easy to put right and know there limits....coupled with a the right GEO set up by BDM in Bletchley MK (experienced racing and sports car outfitters) the car is far more settled on the road and track t turns so much faster into corners the front end just sticks with far less understeer. I know the Avons add to this but playing about recently you notice it has even more positive feel and grip.

The standard GEO the car came with was just crap which the print off proved why I had been experiencing certain issues on the limit Andy on road so with the new set up the balance is just so much better and easier to control and I would say you feel a lot more of what's going on!

On the pad the Paris RS29 stop on a stick pence never really over heat to cause over braking they added another positive layer to a initially very good car it now feels like the real package its up the level of confidence I have in the car and it's abilities.

To sum up.......Better on road and better on track can't ask for much more!

Who needs a 380!

This little baby of mine can now seriously attack!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedViper said:

What geo settings did you end up with please? primarily interested in the camber. Im due a new geo soon currently have -0.75 degs in front and -1.5 degs in rear and trying to decide how much more aggressive I should be.

cheers

I will get a photo a post it on the page for you

Its subtle set up but has made a huge difference.

If I was to trailer it I would make it more aggressive but I wanted a good road to track balance for long trips and it also rides better so as it's more settled on the roads with how the tyres behave

3 minutes ago, S1ARM said:

I will get a photo a post it on the page for you

Its subtle set up but has made a huge difference.

If I was to trailer it I would make it more aggressive but I wanted a good road to track balance for long trips and it also rides better so as it's more settled on the roads with how the tyres behave

Sounds ideal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I have a question and thought of posting here instead of opening a new thread.

I received my Avons ZZ and planning to install them this week for my first track day ever in the Exige!

My question is do you recommend changing alignment settings? If yes, what did you go with?

I don’t drive my car much on the streets, so even aggressive settings are welcomed. :)

Thanks,

I recommend trying the tyres first with stock geo to see the difference and to lay down a baseline laptime. From there you can better assess any changes you make going by forward.