Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 68 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Just finished watching the video. Fair play for managing to do all that in a garage so small. I’d be getting so frustrated at the lack of space. 

(which is why I decided I’d never even bother trying to even get a car inside my garage) 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hard to think what colour would look good on the calipers without knowing the car colour. I do think yellow looks good on black, green or blue cars. 

What is the logo choice between? AP Racing or Lotus? Or a custom Logo?

I’ve always preferred to see AP Racing / Brembo on brakes than the manufacturer. It just instantly screams ‘decent brakes’ to me. Although perhaps that stems from having a couple of BMW M3’s that just had an \\\M logo on the brakes…and were crap. 

Wow, that’s going to look pretty extreme. I can’t wait to see it all finished. 

I haven’t been so excited for new videos to be uploaded this much since Project Binky the mini! 

On 05/09/2021 at 13:08, GFWilliams said:

Today I gave the subframe a layer of heat proof rust proof paint. It didn’t strictly need it and it’ll never be seen, but an extra layer of protection is no bad thing in my mind.

Did you do the shims between the subframe and the chassis too? Or is this not an issue on the Exiges?  Seems a shame not to do it if you already have everything off.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

7 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Did you do the shims between the subframe and the chassis too? Or is this not an issue on the Exiges?  Seems a shame not to do it if you already have everything off.

Not sure which bit you mean, I’ve done anything visible, I’m not taking the subframe off though! 

20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Which shims are you referring to? I have to replace the rear subframe on my Cup-R so I would like to know.

Thanks,
Eldon

21 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Not sure which bit you mean, I’ve done anything visible, I’m not taking the subframe off though! 

Item number 3 on the diagram below.  Was wondering if the issue is like the Elise/VX where the different metals cause corrosion/oxidisation where they meet.

click to enlarge

This is what can happen, again not sure if the Exige V6 has the same issue....

image.png.0de2ecf768912effd24d6a9e5670cf55.png

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

George, I bet Reverie would love to do a swan-mounted carbon wing for you and speed up the design process. 

Of course, I know you enjoy  going  the DIY route.  :)

Two examples, both for the S2 Exige:

https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/lotus-eliseexige-s2-carbon-rear-wing-kit-310mm-chord-low-drag-with-swan-mounts/R01SB0533

https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/lotus-eliseexige-s2-carbon-rear-wing-kit-curved-225mm-chord-with-swan-mounts/R01SB0534

R01SB0533_H.jpg.870a63cd9cf861e3e8bf783fda38ed61.jpgR01SB0533_E.jpg.6fab1f772011ca435b9ba11f5b589d65.jpgR01SB0533_F.jpg.bac72fa36e8d60cee84f5a1c68669b1d.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

@Jack - I’m ordering the wing profile from Reverie and they were kind enough to send over the data for the wing and the CAD file which meant we could get on with the design for the uprights.  I personally didn’t like the look of the uprights that Reverie already do, and I already work with a very good engineer who does my mirror stalks, so I know I’m in good hands for a one off exactly to my design and spec, every time he’s ever done something for me it’s exceeded expectation, which very few people manage!

• Like 2

On 09/09/2021 at 17:43, GFWilliams said:

@Paul_D - For the calipers I think I'll do the new Lotus Logo like they have on the Emira. It'll match up to the other logos on the car which will all be the new logo (but tweaked to work with my colours).

Are you sure you will pass MOT with that wing? It seems to extend behind the car, which at least in Germany would not be allowed.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

@TBD - Luckily the UK is much more relaxed than Germany.

This is the only thing which could be used against me, and it seems to be at the discretion of the MOT tester.  If it were to fail (which I think would be incredibly unlucky), I could easily just remove the uprights. I plan on making some covers for the slots anyway so I can also run the original 350 wing when I want to.

(d) Body:
(i) has an unsafe modification
(ii) modification likely to adversely affect braking or steering

Major
Dangerous

• Like 1

Lots of little jobs at the moment, realised there wasn’t an easy place to tow the car from, so attached the rear tow strap (which I had previously got powdercoated).

C880C896-D056-4C91-99CF-7DD744E23756.thumb.jpeg.86aeb288e9c7257716fcc851bf4ad777.jpeg

then gave the subframe a coat of high temp anti rust paint to protect it.

Next job is replace the coolant reservoir.

BCAC36EC-1B28-4087-A268-A608B0818991.thumb.jpeg.736ebe0cc2b5b0c5e1b06ec6704cc526.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey George.. following your project on here and YT, keep at it mate it wont be long before your enjoying the produce of the hard work.

Quick question for you, would you be willing to post the results from your sizing up and replacement of corroded bolts? the undertray bolts and some other bits are a bit tired and its always been on the list to remove them and measure mine.. when you said you was doing the same I thought it might save me a job :) 

It would be handy if lotus or a reseller just made a pack of everything so you didnt have to order individually.

Also, your address is on show in one of the above pictures, just so you know.

Take care mate.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is at the bodyshop, it’s a bit of a waiting game now.  Ken will make a start on it in the coming weeks hopefully. I visited and we ran through everything that’s being done and it’s scary how many things there are to do.

I am pleased that the ducts for the front clam have now arrived, the Lotus factory weren’t able to give a date these could be delivered so I was a little nervous about them arriving before the car was completed… 

F8C97708-D14E-414C-A7D6-0AB4241EF4DC.jpeg.0e915661b773d6f07829310ce8e61774.jpeg

also ordered the battery tray from the newer exiges, the one in my car was steel and weighed a lot, the new one is aluminium. 

0848968F-53A6-463D-8780-8F790ABF8F4A.jpeg.544ac5ff588516fe5465b285e251994d.jpeg

on the subject of battery stuff, I’ve ordered a new battery charger, and while I’m at it, I wanted to add magnetic plugs to the car. I think I’ll try to hide this in the drivers side intake. Lots of supercars now have these as it means you can charge a car without needing to run the wire through a boot or bonnet.

4495E801-9A0D-4E08-AA3C-022AF04BC991.jpeg.50d5b880a0a084a5f196dc9d6591aa35.jpeg

Onto some bad news, the front brake bells were off to be blasted and then anodised, the place doing it stopped after the blasting stage as the corrosion was quite bad on them. I need to decide which direction to go now, whether I stick with KT brakes or change to floating brakes.  I think in future I’ll be avoiding salty roads unfortunately, if the trips in the snow weren’t so amazing, I’d regret it, but it was worth it!

C0032202-E3FF-49FF-BF2B-655F3BB032A8.jpeg.36d803171f9626d4b8c94a38140bf723.jpeg

• Like 1

Also V interested in magnetic charge point.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

A good day today, the new Michelin Cup 2 Connects arrived.  I originally ordered through Demon Tweeks and the expected delivery date kept getting pushed back. A call to Camskill and they were very helpful and explained how they have stock and others don’t…. A few days later and these have arrived.

I wanted these ready for when my new wheels arrived as I knew it might be hard to source Cup 2 connect in the middle of winter.  I have gone for 215/45/17 and 285/30/18 which are 430 Cup sizes and I ran those sizes on my old @SeriouslylotusForged wheels.

I think it’ll be so long between drives that I’ll struggle to give feedback between the old Cup 2 and the new Cup 2 connects…

48F8DD39-883B-45ED-AA45-80E2EC2D9373.thumb.jpeg.776ccf56ab7ca0d71a2df77e7b7d8544.jpeg

1A9B40DD-AD93-4FEC-B7D4-9AA98EE0B215.thumb.jpeg.15cc0f2a8a937d49971cf423e77d2e25.jpeg

I also forgot, steering wheel is undergoing a little makeover. Bit of a risk, but if it works, it’ll be unique and a bit different…

3180922C-CB14-4091-854B-399FB3F10FE3.jpeg.04b2809d14634daeca64f73b8ffd4188.jpeg

• Like 2

Good story - keep the updates going George. Intrigued to see the new colour, full on doubts you can top LY but I'll be very glad if I'm wrong:)

Can you pls share some info on the battery tray? Never realised that the later ones are made from aluminium - I've got a Li battery with a decent 13kg weight saving, wouldn't say no to some more.