Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Essex blue dry sump on ebay - Page 2 - For Sale - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Essex blue dry sump on ebay

LOTUSMAN33

I have seen the this Ad. also on Ebay, and there where complete NO radio fitted from factory,

so i think, there where a couple of options, at that time, No radio, or a Panasonic roof radio,

later they change the middle console, so they could sell normal radio's to make it cheaper to buy a esprit turbo with a Radio???

thats how i think it should be around that time,

we all waiting for a real Essex pops up for sale somewhere, one day i will have one, and hopefully a LHD (1 out of 10 cars)

9 hours ago, Dan E said:

Dont worry the black one is still getting pampered currently looking at a Carcoon anyone got one, thoughts?

Dan

Yes I've got an outdoor Carcoon - wouldn't buy one again!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The Essex cars are a numbered series recognised by the factory (in their day they were a flop as they were too expensive and not to every ones taste) They were supposed to build 100 Essex cars first before producing the standard Turbo using an option list which meant you could spec the car for a lower price. However they started to sell standard cars before the 100 were produced because orders for the Essex were not as anticipated. Even MPW71V which was an Essex coloured dry sump prototype development car and promotional vehicle is not recognised by he factory as an Essex Ltd edition along with NCL---V which wears the OPW bond reg. while on display and is the official recognised copper fire bond car started life as an Essex prototype development car and is also not recognised as a Essex Ltd Edition Esprit by the factory.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

That always amazed me with both those cars, when I was hunting for an Essex a few years back and nearly bought MPW my intention was to return the car to Essex colours. I was told the same about lotus cars so left it, looking back I wish I had done just that as to me it will always be an Essex only extra special being one of the first.

I do like the idea of development cars being sold hence why I bought my Elan, how many other manufacturers sell on their development work?

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

23 hours ago, The Pits said:

Yes they're good Dan. Get the veloce one with the frame inside it then you can drive in and out relatively easily. You need quite a large one to fit an Esprit in, they are very wide!

Going back to the Carcoon.  I have a Veloce with my Esprit in.  Width is not problem, I got the longest I could allowing for the up and over door and its only just too short for the Esprit.  I use it with the end permanently open, which does the job of protecting the car for me as my garage is not the best.

Can put some photos up if needed.

I am going to guess this car will re appear as an Essex replica or Bond replica.

I wonder if Stocks bought it to make another Bond replica at least this time the interior would be nearer the Bond colour the last one they did converting a red car to Copper Fire while leaving the original black interior looked in my opinion terrible? To be honest when I owned MPW71V it looked stunning when clean and in bright light but a film of dirt coupled with a dull day made it look a very uninspiring turd brown. If it had been wearing a non contrasting interior it would have been very very dull.

Just my opinion but given a choice of colours when I bought MPW71V I would not have chosen Copper Fire the Bond link was not known at that point in time it was the only affordable way I could get into Esprit Turbo ownership from owning an S2 by buying a car needing a lot of work converting back to Turbo spec.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazza 907 said:

Neil

If you leave the end open doesn't that negate the point of a Carcoon where the dry air is circulated?

Yes Barrie it does and I am aware of that - I am generally using it as a "garage within a garage" and have not been running the fans.  It was purchased with my Elise in mind which I don't have any more and that fitted in there perfectly.

I did slightly lie earlier - I can do the rear section up with the Esprit in there but it does put some strain on the zips.  I have just had power fitted in the garage so was going to trial running it over the winter and, as you say, use it how it was intended.

57 minutes ago, PhilW said:

Mike, I now own the Stocks car with the terrible interior.  Probably if the bond car had a black interior in the film I expect a beige interior would look terrible!  Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but after adding further cups to my trophy shelf this year I can assure you you are a part of a very small minority. 

Phil I remember when yours looked like this.......B-) Lovely now too in Copper Fire though:)

IMG_2555.JPG

• Like 2

Like I said my opinion only and no offence intended to anyone. Sorry Phil I am sure it looks Fab, all Esprits do. 

Even though I owned the Copper Fire pre production Essex prototype repainted to Copper Fire & re-trimmed with the then unique trim combination to show case this newly developed colour and trim scheme to the Bond film producers.

This colour and trim combo was developed purely to make the car stand out on the snow scenes. That's why I said in not so many words I felt that in day to day use and covered in UK dirt thus not set against snow it would not have been my first choice of colour combo. I would have rather had a red car with black interior as I remember as an impressionable young boy reading my older brothers car mags featuring a red turbo with black interior this was 1 of the early road tests that set me on my Lotus ownership quest. So my views expressed were JUST MY OPINION, and in no way a comment on the standard of workmanship put into your car.

Photo of MPW71V's modified chassis braced to take the all Lotus 4 litre V8 with freshly made adapter plates I fitted to convert the engine mountings back to standard turbo spec . Then next photo with the brand new HC engine just fitted. This was an incredibly fast car due to its lightened body shell.

Regards Mike

img008.jpg

Edited by G_Reaper2
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I could not find any photos with the V8 installed. 

I was told by Patrick Peal they initially had the 4 litre V8 running on 4 Webber down draft carbs that must have made an fantastic induction noise. After the Etna project was canned Lotus Engineering started working on an engine for the new Corvette. MPW71V was hauled out of mothballs and a injection system was fitted and tested, the Corvette engine of that era was based on the Lotus 4 litre V8 and the systems tested in MPW71V.

Cheers Mike  

Edited by G_Reaper2
spelling
  • Like 1