Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 12 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

Exactly. Maybe its not supposed to be there.

Later cars had a large parallel recess for a ball bearing thrust bearing. The picture Gotti posted above shows this and appears to have the wrong type of bearing installed. Waynes picture above shows the correct bearing on a later car.

But thats not the same as that rounded-off counterbore which looks suspiciously like its been worn away to that shape.

Hey Andy, been going over this all day in my head and I think you are probably right about the shaft eating the crank. What a pain, thanks for the info. Much appreciated fellas. 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

16 minutes ago, top-plumber said:

Hey Andy, been going over this all day in my head and I think you are probably right about the shaft eating the crank. What a pain, thanks for the info. Much appreciated fellas. 

That usually indicates that the circlip which retains the input shaft has rusted away. On my S1 the input shaft could be withdrawn from the gearbox completely because the circlip was almost non existent...

2rel4xd.jpg

Without the circlip the input shaft acts as a milling cutter and eats its way into the crank.

The spacer behind the bearing is not curing the cause of the problem. I bought the uprated circlip from Harry Martens and fitted that. With the circlip in place the spacer is redundant as the shaft can't move beyond where it's supposed to.

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Might leave them like this. Or colour suggestions welcome. ✌️

7ED56877-8CCB-4C29-930F-746E7D43B7D7.jpeg

4269FB62-0F4A-4D63-AA1A-E8B5B30CFF0B.jpeg

D409D16A-0339-4FED-A6B0-FA64C43224B2.jpeg

10DD0707-A8EA-434F-8122-11184BE3B94C.jpeg

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

I have bought black wrinkle finish also. Was having second thoughts but they look great. 

You show me yours I’ll show you mine. ✌️

487B1362-F5E7-4CA7-A1C4-0F62EE8F0158.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Carb rebuild

AC4A0058-F09A-4DC2-8D80-637FB4A233EB.jpeg

A620259B-D085-4981-89CA-A6BC6D4F1C68.jpeg

8CF3A926-D74E-4D4F-8927-439D704B015E.jpeg

21DA5A9F-8CC4-432A-8B08-4474B9097412.jpeg

744DA750-0E51-4026-A7FE-CD43E6D910F1.jpeg

8B7640B7-7DFF-4783-8A79-6DA91ACAA037.jpeg

• Like 2

White✌️

Might have to start a white wizard page. Getting a bit of crossover with the Red Devil. ??‍♂️

Ready for the constructive use of the Christmas holidays. 

Really not sure whether to upgrade the con rods or not. 

Any thoughts welcome. 

41A514E0-F790-47D5-8A90-0703E9C9F4A3.jpeg

4403AB6B-BBAF-43EB-9617-6C2812BF1162.jpeg

638F93CC-383A-40BC-B470-9D19E41D9F60.jpeg

30C1BBBB-0D40-4D08-A45A-880B3A0BE8C2.jpeg

7E31AB94-4545-45B3-A6C9-419E3BF46D9F.jpeg

879EC00F-752C-42C8-9B9E-6A468F4782F8.jpeg

• Like 1

Agreed chaps seems that the gains will be negligible for the out lay. Bigger fish to fry now..... lost some oil pressure on the red car and have knackered one of the ends on the way home today....arghhh...

pretty sure I can change them with the engine in situ... 

any other thoughts? 

?????????

You do love a challenge!

Changing them in situ might be possible (never done it on a Lotus myself), but if you've trashed a crank journal, or spun a bearing in a con-rod, then it's game over, and engine out anyway.

• Sad 1

Margate Exotics.

Trying to stay positive about the crankshaft. Only time will tell. ?

• 2 weeks later...

4992627D-7274-431E-BD94-EACEECEBD4B7.jpeg

1BD75E64-F6DC-4572-8293-D68D2F41F7B6.jpeg

CBA22FE7-FACD-41D8-9A70-2B017F8C612B.jpeg

C2820290-57FC-4EFB-906F-B56474EF3AC0.jpeg

8BF7446B-C7F3-4C74-80C1-CDF6FB1AB58A.jpeg

4802C706-F71E-4A22-9328-5DF8778FC43F.jpeg

226EBD7E-393B-45B8-B3DB-966DF034FCAE.jpeg

91BC329E-EC5E-446F-B21E-777E024CA5CB.jpeg

3CF3A530-0131-4C42-9AF3-D10FAA4BB5FE.jpeg

• Like 1

OK. Trying to get the white cars engine assembled so I can get the red car into the garage. 

Need to get the head machined so I can finish the build. Unfortunately the workshop is closed all over the holidays. 

Looks like I may have to push the rebuilt engine to one side for now. Red car is priority atm. 

Pete spoke to Gerald and he is of the same opinion as me. Blocked oil pickup. Or oil filter. Although I have a k&n filter. 

On 17/12/2017 at 09:37, Chillidoggy said:

Nice work, Wayne.

My two-pennyworth: I'd have the assembly dynamically balanced, and keep the standard con-rods unless I was planning on increasing the rpm at the top end.

Yeh I agree Ian, after some discussion with Trev and Stuart at brekkie last week I tend to agree. So I have gone back with standard setup. I’m polishing the ports myself on the head and have got new exhaust valve guides to install. Then skim. 

Just want to get done now as the red car has taken over my focus.