Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 13 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

6 hours ago, gbowick said:

No, but you do need a stepped drift of the correct dimensions to avoid damaging the guides during installation.

Got them out with a drift and heat. Real b#%<~*d 

having the head skimmed and new guides and seats recut. 

Think heat might be required to get the new in. 

5 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Presumably it's a different process to the later heads in that case.

Be interested to learn what the cause of the pressure loss is, Wayne.

Yes Ian. Will post my findings. Should be this week I hope. 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

11 hours ago, top-plumber said:

Got them out with a drift and heat. Real b#%<~*d 

having the head skimmed and new guides and seats recut. 

Think heat might be required to get the new in. 

Yes Ian. Will post my findings. Should be this week I hope. 

Just looked in the service notes Wayne. Not sure which one yours is, but the '93 onwards cylinder head should be heated to between 100 - 150C before removing/installing valve guides. Top tip - Best to wait till the wife is out before sticking cylinder head in the oven, I've heard they can get a bit niggly about that kind of thing.

Margate Exotics.

On 28/12/2017 at 09:02, Chillidoggy said:

Just looked in the service notes Wayne. Not sure which one yours is, but the '93 onwards cylinder head should be heated to between 100 - 150C before removing/installing valve guides. Top tip - Best to wait till the wife is out before sticking cylinder head in the oven, I've heard they can get a bit niggly about that kind of thing.

My pals workshop had the calor gas heater fans running while I was there so I stood the head in front of it. I was blazing hot and I had to wear leather palm gloves to do the job. I can’t see how they would come out without heat to be fair. And the reverse is the same. 

Gosnays is the workshop where I’m going to get the work done as I don’t have access to a spare machine any time soon. 

Confidence is high....✌️

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

27 minutes ago, top-plumber said:

My pals workshop had the calor gas heater fans running while I was there so I stood the head in front of it. I was blazing hot and I had to wear leather palm gloves to do the job. I can’t see how they would come out without heat to be fair. And the reverse is the same. 

Gosnays is the workshop where I’m going to get the work done as I don’t have access to a spare machine any time soon. 

Confidence is high....✌️

Gosnays? They still in business? I used them about 40 years ago for some engine work, but thought they'd gone under. They should have an oven for heating the heat for valve guides, in that case. Let us know how you get on?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

A5DF9B22-CDE4-4B53-9A36-DBB2D7820E01.jpeg.20b56fff80e3affdb2ed703fe48311af.jpeg

5797626C-6089-40E8-97D2-9DB4C97DD769.jpeg

72F889DB-085F-4B4D-819B-0FB8EE5533B4.jpeg

1DCBDC01-8B76-466C-95A0-895C42C79597.jpeg

A5ABFECA-A56D-4EF2-B8FC-C3E4853A4CDE.jpeg

EC39B5B3-D80B-408A-BD15-4CC5C200DFB9.jpeg

EDE90AC0-6D09-47D7-BBDB-00383375DC23.jpeg

5910BE3A-F379-4C83-8456-E6F7000D3CD2.jpeg

D3340406-8DE8-41CC-B8A9-371555C400F3.jpeg

E39D0FE5-F209-46E7-A4AC-E87E16B01B1E.jpeg

F479324F-3C86-4F89-90C0-2F2FF52F42B4.jpeg

• Like 1

Polishing the head before installing the valves in the new guides. Helicoiled the 8mm bolt holes all over. Nearly ready to replace valves and grind. 

34 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Those photos should be on the top shelf, under a plain cover.;)

Good service? How long did it take them?

I did all the polishing and helicoiled the holes. 

They replaced the guides recut the seats and skimmed the head and faced a flywheel in 2days. Must have been quiet after Christmas ✌️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-plumber said:

Polishing the head before installing the valves in the new guides. Helicoiled the 8mm bolt holes all over. Nearly ready to replace valves and grind. 

I did all the polishing and helicoiled the holes. 

They replaced the guides recut the seats and skimmed the head and faced a flywheel in 2days. Must have been quiet after Christmas ✌️

What was the damage for the work?

Margate Exotics.

58 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

What was the damage for the work?

£320 inc

was ok I thought...✌️

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Engine out of the red Turbo again. Doing a rebuild of the bottom end and new rings with head rebuild also. 

Should have done it in the first place really. Oh well live and learn 

2DDD9E6F-26D9-4A9D-9B19-D22101D6DDCA.jpeg

7233BF13-C5CE-4CF4-A423-464610524E2C.jpeg

BE6B69EE-29BA-4865-981A-D9918CF8BD07.jpeg

Good luck with the rebuild Wayne,   

Yes it is east to say you should of done it during the resto,  but it could of gone on for plenty more miles,  just murphys law.   Anyway another project on the car now to keep you busy,  keep the pics and updates coming. :thumbup:

A

• 3 weeks later...

89BF6C6C-B30E-4973-A673-510D0B51DCEE.jpeg

F3C07375-DFCD-4A21-9491-CA3A9E527BB4.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The red Turbo had a broken lug where the cam carrier bolts down. Drilled it out and had it welded. Dressed the area and tapped out ready to accept new 8mm helicoil. 

2BFD9928-60D5-4A86-8730-E2FD4CD2FD50.jpeg

A81099BD-2FDA-4DD6-8C0D-A9A7EE86D17B.jpeg

7B5BA328-74F9-4E8B-9F17-A81322991910.jpeg

5494A438-2DA0-464C-996E-174B8967944B.jpeg

732946BC-C3AF-4238-888B-BCB0A599A664.jpeg

30DF6938-5E07-4B79-B3C4-054CE4DBFAD8.jpeg

BF51DCDE-096A-491C-8038-1B52E0E9EBA6.jpeg

58B639FE-B073-4A68-AF1C-B42B1586B218.jpeg

ADF60947-3F1C-46AB-9766-6F058A4B8B00.jpeg

33F63EC1-3DD9-4044-9E48-4E462C4D2033.jpeg

70451332-ECD8-454D-97BC-77A714C2A5FA.jpeg

• Gold FFM

Lovely stuff.  May need to do much the same shortly...

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Also the head is now sitting on the block of the white Turbo. Slowly but surely getting there

7D58C544-9B02-4BED-9D4B-56CDA1B7F329.jpeg

C356F80C-F6DF-4BE9-B170-DE52219B662B.jpeg

B022409E-6AC6-4658-9AAD-9E82C1C8117B.jpeg

4DB798FD-3D95-4138-A385-E20E7DC3E497.jpeg

CA00A65C-17F5-4991-9CD3-38393F2ACBD1.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sparky said:

Lovely stuff.  May need to do much the same shortly...

Cheers sparky, only £42.00 to weld at gosnays. Dressed it by hand with files in the garage. Hope I got it flat enough. Reasonably confident. ?

• Like 2