Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

On 06/12/2016 at 08:23, PhilW said:

Hi Wayne

I have an engine out at the moment and am unsure if the turbo bearings are Ok.

- Do you know how to measure the play?

-  If I find it needs rebuilding I assume it is just bearings/oil seal etc so relatively simple as long as great care is taken and the area is kept scrupulously clean?

-  Where do you get a genuine rebuild kit?  I have read somewhere the eBay China kits just don't last.

I am just aware of this thing spinning at 100000rpm or so so any intervention by me could easily upset the balancing.

Any advice. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

IMG_1303.JPG

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I feel like I ought to follow this thread because it's you Wayne but haven't got a clue what I am looking at

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Hey Phil, 

this is the 4th Turbo I have built and all of them have been successful. You can get the parts on line easily at a reasonable price. Balance is crucial as you have stated. The first one I did I marked the compressor wheel and nut on the shaft and just lined them up again. However the rest I have sent away just the CHRA and had it balanced for about £50 if I recal. If you have broken studs or bolts it becomes a different beast. I have access to a machine shop which really helps. It's not the toughest job you will ever do on an esprit that's for sure. Good luck. 

Wayne

1 minute ago, pete said:

I feel like I ought to follow this thread because it's you Wayne but haven't got a clue what I am looking at

Here's a petrol tank Peter. 

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

That's right but most of my parts come from PNM engineering. Pete and John are also top blokes. 

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1341.JPG

The tanks are out and the condition is very good. I'm going to remove the rust and then treat with POR 15 paint. 

Stainless steel engine bolt kit arrived and I'm waiting on new gaskets and other kit. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2016 at 16:17, edge said:

Hi there.

I find the best place to get bits is Sj sportscars they just do lotus.

Steve is very helpful.

That's right but most of my parts come from PNM engineering. Pete and John are also top blokes. 

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

The body work has gone into the paint shop now. Have coated the tanks with POR 15 and I can only say what a fantastic product. Started to change the Engine Bolts to stainless last night and will continue with bits and pieces over the Christmas break.

As the Red Turbo is out of the garage for the next month it means I can bring the S4 back in out of the cold. I cant believe how guilty I felt for leaving her outside.

Wayne

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2016 at 16:17, edge said:

Hi there.

I find the best place to get bits is Sj sportscars they just do lotus.

Steve is very helpful.

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

Ok so the engine is cleaned and the carbs are polished. The st steel bolts are all in and looking good. Started to paint the trim and mirrors etc ready to go back on the car. 

IMG_1408.JPGOk so the engine is cleaned and the carbs are polished. The st steel bolts are all in and looking good. Started to paint the trim and mirrors etc ready to go back on the car. 

IMG_1405.JPG

• Like 1

Glad this project is moving along at a good pace, owning two esprits with one garage is always going to make anyone feel guilty about leaving one out in the cold.

However you will soon learn  to love the G esprit more than the S4, don't fight it, its just a natural progression :P

Look forward to seeing some pics when she comes back from paint.:)

A

Body work is being prepared and ready for paint this week. Excellent news

IMG_1408.JPGOk so the engine is cleaned and the carbs are polished. The st steel bolts are all in and looking good. Started to paint the trim and mirrors etc ready to go back on the car. 

• Like 2

Thanks Fellas, I'm spending a lot of time around the car ATM as I agreed with the paint shop that I would paint the bolt on stuff like Mirrors and trims etc. Just glad I have such an understanding girlfriend. The cups of tea and fry ups are a god send. I have high expectations of the paint work so cant wait to see the finished job.

Wayne

• Like 1

Good way of doing it Wayne, and extra special that your friendly with the painter,  nothing beats the feeling of seeing a fresh paint job done to a good standard.

When they know its a special car to someone and its not the normal boring Mondeo they paint from day to day, the extra effort they put in shows a lot in the end result :)

Exciteing times !

A

Caylpso Red is the spec. L42 I believe. My pal Steve is charging £2.5k which I think is a very good price. I'm painting the trims myself, i.e. Door frames and wether bars, door handles etc. Steve used to work for wilsons in romford so he knows his way around our cars. I'm very confident. 

• Like 1

thanks very good! Will look great. I've just had some fun trying to get the pax side fuel tank out, it's still stuck! Will have to take the seatbelt reel off☹️️☹️️☹️️

2.5 k is a good price Wayne, but like anything it depends on the finish, and if you know your painter and his work which you obviously do then it sounds a bargain. 

Some people pay  well over 6k for paint on an esprit, I know some people that have payed 1k for paint.

• Like 1

A

I have just been quoted £3k to do mine and £4K for the interior so soon adds up, going to get a couple more quotes then decide. Both involved me stripping the car and putting back together after, my car has no cracks or spider lines to sort either so should be simple enough.

I will only go with someone I can trust so sounds like Wayne has been wise, can't wait to see how your car comes out as will make me decide which way to go.

Are you going for gold strips again Wayne?

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

21 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

thanks very good! Will look great. I've just had some fun trying to get the pax side fuel tank out, it's still stuck! Will have to take the seatbelt reel off☹️️☹️️☹️️

Yes you do have to.  I have the glass out as well which also helped. 

21 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I have just been quoted £3k to do mine and £4K for the interior so soon adds up, going to get a couple more quotes then decide. Both involved me stripping the car and putting back together after, my car has no cracks or spider lines to sort either so should be simple enough.

I will only go with someone I can trust so sounds like Wayne has been wise, can't wait to see how your car comes out as will make me decide which way to go.

Are you going for gold strips again Wayne?

Dave :) 

Yes Dave all gold again. However I think that many of the pinstripes were added. I have some old photos of the car I can refer back to. 

Wayne

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

Thanks Mike.

happy new year also.

Wayne

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG