Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora Sport 410 Reviews & Videos - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Sport 410 Reviews & Videos

CocoPops

Pitts, I'm more than willing to agree to disagree and let the 410/911R comparison go.  However, the cut against JMG as the wrong person to run Lotus is ridiculous.  Like it or not, the 400 was produced under his stewardship.  Had the car been a dud, Lotus would likely not be here.  He turned around the company and made it profitable for the first time in ages and he deserves a great deal of credit for this.  

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'm with others on here. I think mentioning a third car in a two car test is just odd.

Have a three car test if you want.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

So we all have to have the same view do we? Let's ignore any dissidents and 'not react'?

I'm merely offering an altenative view which in my opinion is fairly balanced. If you can't deal with that then may I politely suggest the issue is not with me, it's with you.

Your reply in your first paragraph was quite interesting and you might have had a point, probably one worthy of a few forum inches, shame it came with the second paragraph. 

I hadn't realised this forum was called the lotus fanatic forums, I'll make sure in future I only offer opinion which strengthens the fanaticism. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

In our modern world post Brexit. Frankly - I'd not be buying anything german if I could help it. Buy British or buy the jap car.

• Like 1

Only here once

Agreed. I come on here to talk about Lotus cars not Porsche ( or other German cars ) and to vent about politics in the general section.  Lol.....

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 09:57, JG220 said:

I do think that Lotus are picking the wrong fight. £20-50k elises and Exiges is where they shine, .

They do shine there, but there is no profit margin, so no cash to develop future models and no long term survival without being under the umbrella of an automotive giant. How many small British sports car manufacturers have to go bust to prove that?

As for the Evo twin test, there was just no need to mention the 911. Yes it is a 'better' all-round car, more comfortable, as fast, good perceived interior quality etc, (& more expensive...) but there was absolutely no need to bring it in to a twin test between a Nissan and a Lotus. Just leave it as there's no outright winner, the Nissan is faster/more brutal and the Lotus has better feel or whatever they said, and stop right there.

• Like 1

I know we are straying off topic a bit but my last comment on the subject concerns Porsche interiors, which people seem to salivate over:

Surely I'm not the only one who finds the matching colour of seats, dashboard and steering wheel as vomit inducing!!!!!!, . Usually red,brown and beige being the worst. 

Oh and the Evora 410 interior is much improved over the standard 400 offering in my view, although the original Sports Racer interiors were the best.

2 hours ago, Chris J said:

They do shine there, but there is no profit margin, so no cash to develop future models and no long term survival without being under the umbrella of an automotive giant. How many small British sports car manufacturers have to go bust to prove that?

As for the Evo twin test, there was just no need to mention the 911. Yes it is a 'better' all-round car, more comfortable, as fast, good perceived interior quality etc, (& more expensive...) but there was absolutely no need to bring it in to a twin test between a Nissan and a Lotus. Just leave it as there's no outright winner, the Nissan is faster/more brutal and the Lotus has better feel or whatever they said, and stop right there.

Funny, but was it not £20 years ago that the cheaper, more basic, slower Boxster model cam along and totally rejuvenated and saved Porsche?

My understanding now is something like 60-70% of Porsche's total profit comes from the SUV's...........

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

Agree about the SportsRacer interior just looking at one online a few minutes ago. Gorgeous! 400 is not an improvement inside. Love the wrap around original dash and sci fi instruments. Door handles were particularly nice too.

I'm very seriously considering a Sport 410 at the moment. However I'm also struggling to work how I could ever part with my Exige. Evora SR plus Exige is a mighty tempting option.

I was saying to a mate who is considering Evora ownership I would go sr and komotec and pocket the difference over a 400 so understand your thought process. 410 is a different animal though in terms of what it offers. 

26 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Funny, but was it not £20 years ago that the cheaper, more basic, slower Boxster model cam along and totally rejuvenated and saved Porsche?

My understanding now is something like 60-70% of Porsche's total profit comes from the SUV's...........

As I understand it the front half of the 996 and Boxster were more or less identical so the cost to build either shouldn't be hugely different. From this site:  http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/ Porsche in 1999 (year or so after introduction) sold 12000 996's in Europe compared to less than 8000 Boxsters (or 2800 Elises, almost the peak of sales). Given the profit margin on the 996 would be a lot higher than the Boxster you would have to say if anything the 996 gave the bulk of the profit that then let them develop the Cayenne (which then shot their bank balance in to the stratosphere and led to Porsche becoming an SUV company with a sports car division...). It's hard not to conclude Lotus have been at the wrong end of the market to make money for the last 20 years.

10 minutes ago, Chris J said:

As I understand it the front half of the 996 and Boxster were more or less identical so the cost to build either shouldn't be hugely different. From this site:  http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sales-data/ Porsche in 1999 (year or so after introduction) sold 12000 996's in Europe compared to less than 8000 Boxsters (or 2800 Elises, almost the peak of sales). Given the profit margin on the 996 would be a lot higher than the Boxster you would have to say if anything the 996 gave the bulk of the profit that then let them develop the Cayenne (which then shot their bank balance in to the stratosphere and led to Porsche becoming an SUV company with a sports car division...). It's hard not to conclude Lotus have been at the wrong end of the market to make money for the last 20 years.

One of many similar stories is here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/car-design/features/a28621/a-look-back-at-the-car-that-saved-porsche-20-years-of-the-boxster/

• Like 1

The small print.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Reading that I would take away mostly that going to Toyota to learn how to produce a car cost efficiently saved Porsche...  I'd suggest there is a certain amount of hyperbole in that article given they were promoting the latest Boxster (the 4 pot with the crap soundtrack...) and working through the sales figures on the website I linked before suggest that other than in the year 2000 the 911 has consistently outsold the Boxster/Cayman by quite a margin. But anyway, even the cheaper, slower, more basic Boxster was still a £35k base price (I think, struggling to find official prices) which is a different ball game for profit margins compared to the Elise at ~£20k(?) in the late 90's...

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, JG220 said:

So we all have to have the same view do we? Let's ignore any dissidents and 'not react'?

I'm merely offering an altenative view which in my opinion is fairly balanced. If you can't deal with that then may I politely suggest the issue is not with me, it's with you.

Your reply in your first paragraph was quite interesting and you might have had a point, probably one worthy of a few forum inches, shame it came with the second paragraph. 

I hadn't realised this forum was called the lotus fanatic forums, I'll make sure in future I only offer opinion which strengthens the fanaticism. 

Hi James,

I am not sure if this answer was to me, but it is after my reply. I have no issue whatsoever with the replies that you have made about this. I do find it odd for them to mention a car in a test about two other cars. I would have thought a test between two cars was to find the better of those two cars? Not throw a third car in that was not on the test on the days and so can't be objectively compared. By being mentioned as it was, it is more of a subjective comparison by the author.

Michael.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

No, sorry Michael, my reply was to @The Pits' comment. 

Appologies for not making that a bit clearer. 

BTW, a fourth and much better than the third winner of the 410/ GTR duel would have been an exige v6 cup and Evora SR S. :)

6 hours ago, The Pits said:

Absolutely, in an ideal world I'd have a 410 for daily use but at near £90k the Exige would have to go. Not an easy thing to type, let alone go through with! The 410 is an inspirational thing to drive though. Then again, the ride and steering are even sweeter for road use in a Evora S/SR. I suppose that the ultimate Matt Becker magic ride experience belongs to the NA!

Which do you think would be more satisfying around mountainous roads, the 380 or 410? Enjoyed your videos. Is there much of a performance difference between them? 

12 hours ago, pickle said:

I like meat, doesn't matter if it's beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey or whatever else. I'm just glad that there are chefs out there that can cook it well. If a critic has a different palate than me I won't lose any sleep over it. 

Let's face it, at least they're not vegetarian.....

I like meat too. The thing is though a Porsche has no meat in it. It is one of those wet, sloppy, bland, quiches so beloved by veggies.

It's a bit like vegetarian bacon. Looks like bacon, but just so isn't like bacon.

The 410, fully specc'd at £90k is a full english breakfast. Full of meat. Compared to a £90k new 911 in my eyes which is like a bowl of cold old porridge.

The r10 is a full on beef sausage. The 911 a limp and soulless vegetarian substitute.

Right, off for my full english in my hotel in Dublin this morning. I need to face up to day 3 on the Guinness...... :thumbup:

• Like 1

The small print.

Thanks Pitts. I'll be seeing the dealer at SSC tomorrow. Thankfully they are 2km from where I live. I will ask them if they can put an intercooler on  the 380. 

I went out with a few friends, one with an exige V6. The day was 42degC and the exige suffered heat soak. The aircon shut down and the poor guy was soaked in perspiration. When I drove it, I could feel it was down on power. It felt slower than the focus rs, which had no issues with power and the aircon was blowing cold all day.

Heat soak should not be a problem on a car costing 190k. Hopefully they have a solutuon for adding the intercooler. 

42C is pretty extreme in all fairness, for any car. If you're hitting temps like that then I'd be more inclined to look at a chargecooled car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...