Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Freescan help please - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Freescan help please

tribetype40

Righto... I finally got a chance to plug the car into freescan and run scan but..

I didn't get far. I couldn't get it to connect using the connector under the dash so used the one in the boot. It connected but I only got a few things actually giving readings. heres what worked

Status messages window went nuts! constantly running messages down the window with things like ' head recieved from ecu' etc

In the freescan window I only got reading for the following:

RPM worked,

Coolent temp worked

Bat voltage worked

nothing else gave readings.... TPS, nothing!

What does this mean? I was using a cable which came with the car when I bought it. Serial connector on one end (connected to my desktop Pc) and the lotus connector at the other which, on inspection, only has 3 wires going to it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Doug

If you are getting 3 data streams then I think the comms have been set right and the interface cable is OK

As Sanj said click on the force data button top left hand screen.

You should then see the "bytes sent" and "bytes received" counter on the top right increease rapidly.

Dermot

post-13-1172768277.jpg

Right, 'some' success.

I managed to get it to stream information but a few things happen.

Ignition on and engine off.

readings come in and get TPS reading going up and down with throttle pedal. hangs after a while.

Still with freescan running, start engine = freescan hangs.

Start Engine (with freescan off) then start freescan. starts to stream readings, try to log to file and hangs after a few seconds.

I got the following screen grab:

and the freescan log that managed to grab before it hung: wont let me up load..?

Basically everything is working.

I have found that Freescan is not indefinately stable on any machine. If fact, I think the faster the processer the more likely it is to stall for a bit or even hang. Normally with an "illegal operation" error code. However, you should be able to log for 10-15 mins without problems. Don't start the car with it running that does tend to upset it.

I have never really tracked down any obvious conflicts but it does help to disabled additional comms like wireless and other stuff. As a general rule try to turn off as much other background programmes as you can.

I also don't know the origin or design of your interface cable. Is is a good interface circuit, does it use high quality shielded cable etc...

Dermot

Ahhh I see, well thats reassuring. Thanks Dermot.

I will try again soon, probably not till sunday now but will turn everything off that doesn't need to be on and see if that helps. The cable I have looks very basic and all the wires look a little 'weedy' I doubt they are sheilded in anyway.

Cheers again.

• 14 years later...

This is an old thread but I'm trying to get Freescan 2.07 to work on my 90 SE.  I have the appropriate ALDL cable and the FTDI adapter with the correct drivers. The program will open on Windows 10 and it is configured properly. However when i press start I only receive bytes , nothing is sent so it it just keeps running . When the engine is running I get zero data. Dont know if I need the newer version 2.10 to run correctly on Windows 10.  I'm getting no error messages.

Any thoughts ?

• Gold FFM

One thing I noticed is that I can’t swap between one program and another without rebooting - one of the programs hangs the com port for some random reason 

Only here once

On 08/11/2021 at 03:16, Bibs said:

@ScottyB, can you take a picture, that'll really help (and welcome to TLF!) :)

Windows won't boot so there's no screen to the take a picture of.  Trying to recover the HD. This has been a frustrating last few days . I have everything I need to run diagnostic software but none of it works. I bought a laptop, ALDL to FTDI USB cable/converter, proper drivers installed but doesn't communicate thru the rear connector. Best I could get on Freescan 2.07 was byes received only, nothing sent and it just kept counting. Nothing else showed data. I cut it off at 126000. It's just too old. 

Sorry to hear that,

I ran espritmon v6.3 yesterday on my homepc (win10) without any problem. I also used it on my older Panasonic "garage" laptop with a PCMCIA serial interface (also win 10) without any problems. It communicated fine with my SE.

Esprit Freak

On 12/12/2021 at 06:07, Barrykearley said:

One thing I noticed is that I can’t swap between one program and another without rebooting - one of the programs hangs the com port for some random reason 

It seems that EspritMon is the culprit. Rebooting shouldn’t be necessary. If you go into the Task Manager program for Windows you can select EspritMon and choose “End Task.” That should release its grip on the com port.

• Thanks 1