Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dry Sump Register - Page 39 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Dry Sump Register

LOTUSMAN33

I don’t have either HTU355Xor WXJ1 so will have to get their chassis numbers.

I suspect HTU is 1196 and WXJ isn’t recognised on the system so the plate must have changed.

Wurzel has a October 1982 car so later than yours Jason, I share the register with Andy so not sure why he doesn’t recognise it.

Cars did hang around lotus, there’s 1976 S1’s registered in 1978 for example.

If you want a copy just PM me 👍🏻

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My car is 1220, registered in May 1982. I don't have a certificate of provenance but I do have a letter from Andy Graham confirming the car's identity as a dry sump. :) 

It's getting there......

It is my understanding that dry sump production carried on after the introduction of wet sump for cars with Air Con. I think I remember Sep/Oct 82 being the final one - but not 100% on this date.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

It is my understanding that dry sump production carried on after the introduction of wet sump for cars with Air Con. I think I remember Sep/Oct 82 being the final one - but not 100% on this date.

Yes, it must have been a lot of design work to fit AC onto a wet sump which took a while. Different aux housing, alternator, mounting brackets, cooling system plumbing etc etc.

Dry sump was easy as the compressor could go where the sump would have been.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, dr_jayhart said:

strong money!

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 22.44.03.png

it says in the ad. the only one yellow esprit turbo,

thats wrong, here in the netherlands there is a dry sump esprit in yellow with brown tobacco interior

that car still runs, and have a MOT.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 15:23, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I don’t have either HTU355Xor WXJ1 so will have to get their chassis numbers.

I suspect HTU is 1196 and WXJ isn’t recognised on the system so the plate must have changed.

Wurzel has a October 1982 car so later than yours Jason, I share the register with Andy so not sure why he doesn’t recognise it.

Cars did hang around lotus, there’s 1976 S1’s registered in 1978 for example.

If you want a copy just PM me 👍🏻

Dave :) 

I ended up buying the WXJ 1 car, which for your register is 1271, engine no. 20232. I did get the certificate and although the car is a dry sump, the certificate does not show this. It was signed from production in May 82, registered in June.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ice Blue (A15) with full silver leather and special request blue carpets

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 21:52, rs200evo said:

I ended up buying the WXJ 1 car, which for your register is 1271, engine no. 20232. I did get the certificate and although the car is a dry sump, the certificate does not show this. It was signed from production in May 82, registered in June.

Dave

I’ve got your twin!😉😎…….Congratulations on your purchase. I thought it would’ve budded higher with the plate but you got yourself a bargain there by all accounts👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Would love to see some more photos of your one👍

• Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 21:52, rs200evo said:

Dave

Dave just looking at the details of your car…what makes you think it’s a Dry Sump car? The advert says Wet Sump and the engine bay looks like a Wet Sump variant ie. without the tank on the right……

I’m sure yours is Wet Sump like mine (mine being the first one built) - pictured for ref and to show you how similar they are👍😉

IMG_3860.jpeg

20 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Dave just looking at the details of your car…what makes you think it’s a Dry Sump car? The advert says Wet Sump and the engine bay looks like a Wet Sump variant ie. without the tank on the right……

I’m sure yours is Wet Sump like mine (mine being the first one built) - pictured for ref and to show you how similar they are👍😉

IMG_3860.jpeg

Think you are thinking of a different car. Red Esprit Turbo similar to yours sold at auction with the private reg 'W 28'. Whereas the gentleman above has purchased the blue Esprit Turbo which displayed the reg 'WXJ 1' sold via a car dealership?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilWood04 said:

Think you are thinking of a different car. Red Esprit Turbo similar to yours sold at auction with the private reg 'W 28'. Whereas the gentleman above has purchased the blue Esprit Turbo which displayed the reg 'WXJ 1' sold via a car dealership?

Very good point well made Neil! I was in a hurry when I posted earlier as was heading out for the day….and something did trigger in my mind about the reg and something not feeling right, and now I know why. The blue Dry Sump purchased is a beauty and have admired it previously several times! Ignore me, and I’ll leave you all to get back on topic!🤦🏻‍♂️😉

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

found 10971

its a black and gold Esprit (JPS colours) and it has full essex spec, (compomotive wheels, one arm louvers, and ofcourse the roof stereo)

but it need a lot of work, connection rod broke down (more dry sump cars had that problem in the past)

i am on it, and maby it comes my way,

the interior is full black leather

• Like 2