Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
My -hard- experience with Toyo R888R - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

My -hard- experience with Toyo R888R

Hi guys!

I have recently mounted a set of Toyo R888R on my v6 and am a bit confused and disappointed. I use to drive with a set of Yokohama A08R and my feeling is that the Yoko used to behave much better in high temperatures than Toyo. In deed, Toyo have very low grip when at very high temperature!!

Someone told me that Toyo R888R needed more tire pressure to work correctly but I tried to run them at higher pressure without success.

This is very strange to me because suposedly -or at least it is what I though- the Toyo should have higher performance than the Yoko A08R. I even got to think that my set of tyres have a kind of factory default or may be I damaged them at some point.

Do you have any similar opinion about this tyres?

With love, your frustrated colleague,

Dani.

:pizza:

Hey Dani, what hot pressures were you running it with? I'd imagine the Toyos would probably run best at the 28-32 PSI hot range - that's what some of the local Lotus fellas here run. They also tend to get a bit slippery once over-inflated. If you're on a track, try dropping 1-2 psi (hot) after every few laps to gauge how it behaves. I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot then.

And you are right: the R888R (as a R-compound) should definitely give you more grip over the AD08R. Good luck!

On 12/24/2016 at 07:03, Ray32 said:

Hey Dani, what hot pressures were you running it with? I'd imagine the Toyos would probably run best at the 28-32 PSI hot range - that's what some of the local Lotus fellas here run. They also tend to get a bit slippery once over-inflated. If you're on a track, try dropping 1-2 psi (hot) after every few laps to gauge how it behaves. I'm sure you'll find the sweet spot then.

And you are right: the R888R (as a R-compound) should definitely give you more grip over the AD08R. Good luck!

Yes, I tried from 28 to 34...

On 12/24/2016 at 16:41, NW76 said:

Hi Dani,

a friend of mine had the same experience on his V6 ... undriveable on track when at temp ...

Rg

Norbert

How is that possible?! I bought them thinking they would be great!

That's odd... 28-34 psi should be within the optimum pressure range AFAIK - what makes you think it's worse? Is it getting greasy at high temps or is it that you are getting lower lap times as compared to the Yokos? I'd imagine after getting a heat cycle into the Toyo it should start gripping like nothing else. I think you could certainly try 26-30psi hot and learn the characteristics of the tyre from there. The AD08R has a very gentle breakaway at the limits and perhaps that is something you are not experiencing with the Toyos.

Quite a few cars here in my country run the R888R, including heavier ones such as the GT-Rs, BMWs and whatnot. There's also quite a number of Exige S2s who run them as well and they seem to be very well-received. If it doesn't work well, as Norbert recommends, they are some other really nice R compounds available for the V6. My personal favorite is the Yokohama A050 or the Hankook TD Z221 (We don't get the Trofeo, ZZR, and Cup 2 here :( unfortunately).

Have them on my 211 and the V6. They are OK on a light Car...but 2 sec. Slowwr than a V70A on a 1.10min short Track. They are totally shit on a V6...buy Trofeos and you will be happy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ray32 said:

That's odd... 28-34 psi should be within the optimum pressure range AFAIK - what makes you think it's worse? Is it getting greasy at high temps or is it that you are getting lower lap times as compared to the Yokos? I'd imagine after getting a heat cycle into the Toyo it should start gripping like nothing else. I think you could certainly try 26-30psi hot and learn the characteristics of the tyre from there. The AD08R has a very gentle breakaway at the limits and perhaps that is something you are not experiencing with the Toyos.

Quite a few cars here in my country run the R888R, including heavier ones such as the GT-Rs, BMWs and whatnot. There's also quite a number of Exige S2s who run them as well and they seem to be very well-received. If it doesn't work well, as Norbert recommends, they are some other really nice R compounds available for the V6. My personal favorite is the Yokohama A050 or the Hankook TD Z221 (We don't get the Trofeo, ZZR, and Cup 2 here :( unfortunately).

Totally grasy when very hot, specially in the rear wheels. 

10 hours ago, Win911 said:

Have them on my 211 and the V6. They are OK on a light Car...but 2 sec. Slowwr than a V70A on a 1.10min short Track. They are totally shit on a V6...buy Trofeos and you will be happy. 

Nice to know that more people had same feeling. 

I am going to put again my Yokos AD08R and compare times and tell you differences, but my forecast is that Yoko AD08R will be faster or at least I will be able to drive more laps without loosening grip.

Probably my next tyres will be michelim sport cup 2... IMHO Michelin and Yokohama are the most realiable manufacturers for sport/track day tyres