Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Invisible to other road users - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Invisible to other road users

DrTroy

Hi all, since getting my car I cant believe how many times I've nearly been driven into. I'm presuming because its low and white (maybe)?

Have DRLs but guessing that arnt bright enough, do you guys swap out your lights for something brighter? Run round with a traffic cone stuck to the top?

I fear down to the law of averages someone is going to run into me soon and I'd like to try and prevent it :cry:

Thanks in advance

I read an interesting article on this subject a while ago in a motorcycle magazine. It’s all to do with perceived threat. Our brains are hard wired to react to things that we perceive to be a threat, so even if our conscious mind is not fully paying attention to our surroundings, our sub conscious will pick up on the threat.

When we’re driving, large objects will appear threatening - other cars, vans, lorries etc. Smaller objects - pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes (small plastic sports cars!) won’t, so unless drivers are fully paying attention they’re less likely to pick up on the presence of non-threatening objects. It isn’t just down to visibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's also a thing where you only scan when you look around and the brain fills in the bits you don't see to make your vision appear continuous. Watch someones eyes as they look left to right and you'll see a series of jerky movements rather than one smooth one. If your scan doesn't register the bike, your brain doesn't register it exists. As you said Neil, that's down to the size of it in your vision. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Stick a Honda Jazz badge on the back and everyone will give you a wide berth. 

You can have the brightest lights or the loudest paint job, but there will always be someone stupid enough to miss you. Neal's advice of absolute vigilance is the best attitude to take. 

22 hours ago, Neal H said:

I read an interesting article on this subject a while ago in a motorcycle magazine. It’s all to do with perceived threat. Our brains are hard wired to react to things that we perceive to be a threat, so even if our conscious mind is not fully paying attention to our surroundings, our sub conscious will pick up on the threat.

When we’re driving, large objects will appear threatening - other cars, vans, lorries etc. Smaller objects - pedestrians, cyclists, motorbikes (small plastic sports cars!) won’t, so unless drivers are fully paying attention they’re less likely to pick up on the presence of non-threatening objects. It isn’t just down to visibility.

Which is why a beat-up old Range Rover with a loud V8 makes a perfect city-car. :devil:

Still doesn't stop me from taking the Esprit to work in Brussels, the rare stretches of open road are enough reward to offset the extra vigilance needed in traffic. :)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Suprised re white car not being noticed, as I could understand  with black .  In my black Exige I always ran with dipped lights.

B-) In the Evora I run with side lights,  but that's more because I reckon the front lights look better that way ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

I always taught my kids that driving their own car had to be almost completely an automatic function. Then use your wits and nouse to drive everyone elses car. I taught them never to trust any other driver.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Being a motorbike rider too,  you gain spider senses.  I find it makes you a much better driver in terms of reading the road and other drivers. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

Absolutely. I trusted no vehicle or other bike when I was riding mine. I still find it amusing how I can tell that someone is going to change lane before they do. Of course, indicators are optional.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

My old VX220 was matte black and I can't count how many times people nearly drove into me.   Exige is yellow and never had a single situation where someone nearly drove into me...

Also because you're so loud :)

www.alias23.com

The Lotus DRLs are very bright. You could add some more color to your car and also a loud exhaust helps. 

But it’s true, a Lotus will still be a low and small car and some stupid people can’t imagine how fast it accelerates. 

Like said: You must drive it like a biker 

I sometimes habe the feeling people don’t know what “this thing” is, so they’re unable to see it.

Edited by ArthouseCompany

Since my first few weeks when everyone seemed to be out to get me (it was so bad I fitted a new bigger horn!) people now, seem to just move out of my way which always amazes passengers.

Martin S