Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 29 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

A new base model Elise, or whatever they're gonna call it, with the Volvo 1.5 T2 engine, Volvo sourced infotainment system, easier access and a bit less raw interior could definitely sell well, surely it would improve sales considering the current entry level Elise isn't exactly a sales success and is about to be discontinued (or at least so I've read). Hope it will still be mid engined and that they can still keep at under 1000kg, as JMG said.

Edited by Sport220
  • Like 1

So we want them to keep it under 1000kg whilst loading it with several cup holders, a fridge, a rear bumper mounted bbq, intelligent cruise and a 42" oled display for the infotainment.

I mean. May as well go the whole hog to ensure it sells well in 'murica where everything is bigger than it needs to be...

How about the same lightweight underpinnings. But one stream stripped out and pure, and the other with an options list as long as your arm to attract German car fans. Best of both worlds and something for everyone. That way you have the ultimate drivers Elise and the soft Elise.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

Toyota GT86 flat four longitudinally mounted would do me. Ally tub, carbon tub, makes no difference unless the kerbweight is much lower (which is unlikely).

Elise is a chicken and egg problem. Making it in such small numbers means it needs a high sticker price to break even. Producing it in larger numbers will help introduce economies of scale. Hopefully access to Volvo parts will help get the ball rolling. Nothing at all wrong with the way it drives but the base Elise needs to be cheaper. At the moment too many, quite reasonably, jump to the Exige once they price up an Elise.

• Like 1

Personally I think if you’re going to pitch it directly at the MX5 then you’re going to have to price it at roughly that amount (maybe a bit of a premium) and then you could get away with the 1.5 engine.

But if you’re going to keep it st £40-45k then I think you’d need to increase the engine- perhaps the 2.0 T5 (if you don’t have access to a 1.8)

I don’t see the issue of increasing the comfort levels a bit for the standard - because you can always then produce ‘Cup’ stripped out versions 

Edited by KAS-118

25 minutes ago, The Pits said:

flat four longitudinally mounted would do me.

Nothing at all wrong with the way it drives but the base Elise needs to be cheaper. At the moment too many, quite reasonably, jump to the Exige once they price up an Elise.

@The Pits

See to believe. A Lotus enthusiast, one of the die-hards nonetheless, asking to have a flat four engine in a Porsche Lotus. :shock::P

Seriously: I agree. If the Elise was a little cheaper it would be much more competitive in the accessible sports car market. And I also agree that it is much harder to achieve than to say. Some choices will have to be made. JMG seemed to suggest that the Elise may as well be left as it is, with no further investment, as a wink to the company's roots before they go upmarket.

That is where you seem to be trying to take us, too, Mr Pits.

Would that allow to make it cheaper, though?

I just cross my fingers that they will keep it. IMO it is now part of Lotus DNA, just as much as the fibre glass in the first Elite.

Handling comes first in an Elise. In theory a normally aspirated Toyota flat four could lower the cofg and improve that. Compared to the existing Toyota inline four the soundtrack could be improved, unlike the move from na flat 6 to turbo flat four in the Boxster.

I'm actually in favour of promoting and developing the current range because I still see the potential both in the cars and in terms of sales. I fear that for an all-new Lotus to be a success it will have to be less appealing to those of us crazy enough to buy them now. I'd definitely rather Lotus developed a car closer to the MX5 (which was heavily inspired by the Elan after all) but with sports car sales in steady long term decline it would be a very bold (some would say foolish) move to go that way instead of the inevitable SUV. I would personally be in favour of a model above the Evora and one below the Elise, so I'd look at both ends, scrap the SUV and keep Lotus as a dedicated sports car maker. But what do I know? I would have fired the guy at Porsche who suggested the Cayenne!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silverfrost said:

If lotus had produced the concept cars of the Danny Bahar era,   It would of either made or broke lotus,  personally think those concepts captured the lotus ethos

really well,   I think lotus needs another model,   and hit me with a stick if you do not agree as i have necver owned the newer model lotus, but to me the elise is a weekend car, the evora may be a bit to fancy for some folks even if it is 2 plus 2.     I think lotus needs a happy medium, a new look,  The elan, elite and elise concepts had a fresh and powerfull look imo.    One of these designs at least should of made it into production :cry:

2010 elise 

01lotuseliseparislive.jpg.f700fdc0d53e68f2b935504caf6f9db1.jpg

2010 elan 

01lotuselanparislive.jpg.4a6ee5291ee19b0d58148bb3dbf374f2.jpg

2010 elite ... lovely design 

01lotuseliteparislive.jpg.a0adb789bfa8d0ae95967e3b743ff70c.jpg

And the failed esprit, which to be honest  just looks like a lambo, which is not a good thing.......  pleased this got canned 

leadlotusespritparislive.jpg.0b2adfc081a4adf632fa8b734471458d.jpg

The elite, elan and new elise design would of been warmly welcomed imo,  great looking cars that sadly never made production, such a shame. 

• Like 1

No one would argue that Lotus are lucky still to be still here after Bahar time with the company, but the Concept cars looked great and with the workforce that was employed at the time would have been great road cars. I sometimes wish the company would have kept him at the helm of the ship until we had one or two of the concepts into production, especially the Elise. Yes a dark time for Lotus, but don't put down everything he did, his concepts could go into production today and still be as fresh as anything coming to the market as we speak all these years after they where first shown.

• Like 1

My ideal next gen elise would be:

- VVA based (tweaked evora "evolved" platform) because VVA is a global platform, allows for smart airbags... 

- VVA tub means the car will be a tad wider so more shoulder room, easier ingress and egress and better NVH but can remain below 3.90m in length

- 1.5L 3 cyl turbo 180 bhp (entry model),  2.0L 4 cyl turbo 250 bhp (mid range), 2.0L cyl turbo/supercharged 320 bhp (top end) I don't see the point of Keeping paying Toyota for the 4cylinders when the group's are just as good if not better.

- a Volvo sourced /and or derived loom for all the electronics (improved perceived quality, design, ergonomics, durability...)

- it doesn't need a 42" OLED panel but  a 7" to 8" IPS display with decent 2.1 stereo sound and nav (because it needs to sell but it doesn't need 5.1 or 7.1 surround)

- available in cloth, alcantara and leather (or vegan leather if must be) trims

- a slightly bigger boot, it just need enough space for two 40L duffel bags or two standard size carry on luggage

- a glovebox ( no need it for it to be heated or cooled I just need a glove box to stash things out of sight.

- two cup holders which can hold my Contigo mug or 50cl water bottles  because it doesn't add more than a kg if they do some clever engineering.

I believe some of these improvement could be made to the current Elise but without the US market (California) to support it, it is sort of a wasted investment. However if indeed the next Exige is VVA based, which means is for all intent and purpose a shortened strict 2 seater Evora, I don't see why it Lotus would not apply the same strategy further down the road to an entry model car. Lotus is doing better at the moment because I think commonalities between all three models have never been higher. Having all sports cars except for the halo model share the tub and a maximum of parts in the future would not break the bank and would actually lower the cost across the board.  

• Like 1

The ubiquitous cup holders and fancy non essential bits will push it beyond that slightly. But hey, we'll have a clone german spec car built in Norfolk. Whoopee...

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

A "clone german spec car"? Just because it will get a bit heavier and more appealing to the market?

The entry level Boxster has a kerb weight of 1335kg, if Lotus can keep the new Elise at under 1000kg dry it would still be very light.

An Evora 400 weighs 1415kg and I don't see people going on about it.

Edited by Sport220

@Sport220 I was being sarcastic! Referring to all the comments about how to sell a sports car in the US it seems to need to be specified with luxury that would have befitted a Bentley or a Roller only a few years ago.

Apologies if my sarcasm was misplaced and also the Evora is a hell of a lot more car than the Elise that we were actually talking about so the comparison is invalid. The original Elise S1 was 713kg with a full tank of fuel so even a comparison with a 1000kg new car would make the new car a lardy arse by comparison. The original S1 was almost half the weight of the Boxster that you refer to.

S2 Elises were around the 800kg mark with the latest fully kitted out cars almost reaching 1100kg!  Some 350kg or 50% more than the original S1.

Yes, i know that safety equipment and stuff has resulted in heavier cars, but still the ethos of light is right is in my mind what Lotus must continue to ruthlessly pursue as its differentiator in the market place. It is after all what all the original Lotus cars was about so is inherently a part of the DNA. We need the Motorsport team put back together more than Jake and Elwood needed The Band! B-)B-)

My Evora is a great car, but my VX220 is awesome on the track. It has the same power as my Evora but weighs some 450kg less (900kg with SC and intercooler) and you really do feel that difference.

I do believe you could find 1,000 people, in a country of 260m people, who would appreciate the raw ultimate driving machine that a new Elise model could be with 260bhp and around 850kg in weight minus the obligatory cup holders and 42" OLED TV and concert quality surround sound hifi with extra seat and trim foam cushioning  :devil:  Shit, there goes that sarcasm again.......   Gotta catch it.......

• Like 1

The small print.

There's no two ways about it. We've all gone soft.

Yesterday I took my recently acquired 1991 Ferrari Mondial T cabrio out for a quick run, just to give it some winter exercise. Now this is the model that was always regarded as the Boulevardier/Family/Poseur/Hairdresser Ferrari. However, you still need thighs the size of tree trunks to operate the clutch and stamp on the effective brakes, and a left arm as strong as Popeye's to change the upside down gears. Sure it's got power steering, ABS, adjustable dampers, air con and electric windows, but it's still a true visceral work-out to drive. It's got just enough cabin stowage for a wallet and a (small) mobile phone. Hood-up the roof's as noisy as hell over 60mph. Hood-down and it looks like the tonneau cover's going to fly away at anything over 70mph. In fact you feel like you're doing 100mph, when you're only at 70mph.

I then stepped straight into my Evora GTE for a similar run. Honestly it's as easy as driving your mum's super-mini in comparison. Simple and slick operation of the gearbox and pedals, comfortable cabin, planted handling, terrific brakes, ample performance. In complete contrast to the Ferrari, you feel like you're doing 70mph when you're actually doing 100mph (like JMG!). In fact anyone could drive it.

So all this is a round-about way of saying that it would be a great shame if Lotus discontinued the no-frills model range offered by the Elise. Believe it or not, we really don't need any luxuries to enjoy the rewards of a basic sports car.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@Sport220 I was being sarcastic! Referring to all the comments about how to sell a sports car in the US it seems to need to be specified with luxury that would have befitted a Bentley or a Roller only a few years ago.

Apologies if my sarcasm was misplaced and also the Evora is a hell of a lot more car than the Elise that we were actually talking about so the comparison is invalid. The original Elise S1 was 713kg with a full tank of fuel so even a comparison with a 1000kg new car would make the new car a lardy arse by comparison. The original S1 was almost half the weight of the Boxster that you refer to.

S2 Elises were around the 800kg mark with the latest fully kitted out cars almost reaching 1100kg!  Some 350kg or 50% more than the original S1.

Yes, i know that safety equipment and stuff has resulted in heavier cars, but still the ethos of light is right is in my mind what Lotus must continue to ruthlessly pursue as its differentiator in the market place. It is after all what all the original Lotus cars was about so is inherently a part of the DNA. We need the Motorsport team put back together more than Jake and Elwood needed The Band! B-)B-)

My Evora is a great car, but my VX220 is awesome on the track. It has the same power as my Evora but weighs some 450kg less (900kg with SC and intercooler) and you really do feel that difference.

I do believe you could find 1,000 people, in a country of 260m people, who would appreciate the raw ultimate driving machine that a new Elise model could be with 260bhp and around 850kg in weight minus the obligatory cup holders and 42" OLED TV and concert quality surround sound hifi with extra seat and trim foam cushioning  :devil:  Shit, there goes that sarcasm again.......   Gotta catch it.......

I don't believe the comparison is invalid.

What the Elise is supposed to be to a Boxster, the Evora should be to a 911. Which isn't true, at least in the case of the 400, which undercuts a 991.2 Carrera S by just 25kg (and a Carrera by 15), if carfolio's data is accurate.

With today's safety requirements, there's no way an Elise could weigh as much as the original model, yet a 1.6 Sprint can have a dry weight of less than 800kg, which is as or even more remarkable today than an S1 22 years ago. Don't think it could get any ligther without getting even more expensive.  

Interesting snippet from Caterham CEO.

MacDonald also believes that last year’s sales of 667 units, equating to a 51-car increase on 2016, illustrates a growing global market for driver's cars that Caterham can tap into. He revealed that in some markets, dealers are taking “10 or 20 deposits” for Sevens as buyers want to secure their build slot as quickly as possible.

“Our team recognises that the US market is a big opportunity, because while we currently have to send cars there in kit form [to bestow them with kit-car exemption from federal regulations], there’s talk of them opening up to historical classics, which we’d fall into," he said.

"And I’m also convinced there are more markets for growing our motorsport [championships], such as China, Russia and emerging countries where wealthy entrepreneurs want to go racing."

The small print.

On 1/31/2018 at 07:28, Sport220 said:

The production of the Lotus Elise Sport 140, as well as the automatic versions of the Exige Sport 350 IPS and Sport 380 IPS will be stopped.

Not really surprising. 

The entry level Elise was probably not the the best seller in the Elise range but did exist in order to get Lotus emission low.

If the Elise is set to survive a little while longer it may not mean that it won't get a raft of upgrade including a new entry level powertrain from within the group to save money.

The Exige IPS models were not high volume sellers either. The Exige is not by any measure not the most "auto" sought after car especially with its absence from the US market.

I may also take this as a sign that one of the two future cars is actually the Exige replacement.

• Like 1

I hope that a new sequential/automatic gearbox will be provided with the Exige.

Gales has said that the current toyota engine can generate more power, but the manual gearbox can not follow. So manual or automatic, something has to evolve.

On 30/01/2018 at 17:08, The Pits said:

Handling comes first in an Elise. In theory a normally aspirated Toyota flat four could lower the cofg and improve that. Compared to the existing Toyota inline four the soundtrack could be improved, unlike the move from na flat 6 to turbo flat four in the Boxster.

I'm actually in favour of promoting and developing the current range because I still see the potential both in the cars and in terms of sales. I fear that for an all-new Lotus to be a success it will have to be less appealing to those of us crazy enough to buy them now. I'd definitely rather Lotus developed a car closer to the MX5 (which was heavily inspired by the Elan after all) but with sports car sales in steady long term decline it would be a very bold (some would say foolish) move to go that way instead of the inevitable SUV. I would personally be in favour of a model above the Evora and one below the Elise, so I'd look at both ends, scrap the SUV and keep Lotus as a dedicated sports car maker. But what do I know? I would have fired the guy at Porsche who suggested the Cayenne!

The Toyota FA20 is a bit of a pig. At 210kg it weighs significantly more than the V6 in the Exige. Also, with the stock headers and tune it has a horrible torque dip right around 2.5-3.5k rpm, I.e. the range you tend to be driving it in. They either needed to keep the GT86 to 1000kg, or supply the car with forced induction.

I wouldn’t chose it for the Elise. To sell the Elise in the states id give it a little more interior refinement, and a 300bhp, light 2L turbo. If numbers sell cars in the states, this would be a 3.5 seconds 0-62 and still have great handling characteristics.

If that's the case then a Volvo sourced turbo four might be a better solution after all. No idea what they weigh but the lighter the engine the better for an Elise, naturally.

I bet within the next 12-18 month (prior to the new Elise) we will see a Exige/Evora that is superior to the 430s  that will have a Volvo Turbo charged engine. The engines are already in Hethel arent they? ;-) 

Cheers

Norbert