Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Future of Lotus - Page 35 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Future of Lotus

Well I was about to say I bow to your superior factory contacts Bibs but someone is telling you fibs about the parts. It's just as bad as ever. They don't even have CDL modules in that have been out for 24 months plus! 

I have it on what I thought was pretty good authority on the Elise so we will see. Same info from a handful of sources too. Clearly it cant be arriving in 2020 as it would surely have been spotted testing or there would be some kind of detail on what to expect? They could be getting an order book filled up. I think I'd stick a desposit down for the business I don't think I could stand the stress of a personal purchase again :D

A120E0167F

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I'm certainly not privy to any inside information, but there has been a lot of talk of the Elise being 'for the chop' based on the the fact that Lotus haven't announced any plans for a replacement. It seems quite possible to me that they'll just stick with slowly evolving the existing model. No need for reinventing the car entirely.

Surely a cheaper version of the Elise to get people driving a Lotus before they bring out the new models?

That market has gone though. Alfa 4c also canned. 

The Alpine is the nearest thing a manufacturer has done to properly supersede the Elise.  Even Renault with the scale of economy they have still lumbered it with a 50k price tag which is just too expensive. Again aiming for the 718 which is a bit of a daft thing to do. They could have almost totally owned a sector of the market at 40k but maybe these days it's just not possible to build them cheap enough. 

Bibs can you please send me 2 CDL modules :D

That part has only been on back order since 21st June (for me)... so I suppose one month isn’t ... bad :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Hi Bibs, any chance you can tell me about that part: A132U0969S

I feel like I may need to complain to my dealer..

On 15/07/2018 at 10:51, jonnyboy said:

McLaren show the way that a brand is the car. They are pretty and go quick but the fact the brand is out there in front of a billion people winning races is the top thing that will sell a McLaren.

When did McLaren last place on a podium, let alone win a race.

10 hours ago, Brendonian said:

...No need for reinventing the car entirely.

It needs reinventing to be able to sell  in the North American market

8 hours ago, Julian73 said:

When did McLaren last place on a podium, let alone win a race.

I also think winning races in F1 is/was important to launch McLaren street cars. They have no heritage. They came "naked". They had to rely on F1.

But maybe some people still think if Hamilton wins in the Mercedes their street McLaren is a part of that 😉  

I think you are right in that Geneva 2019 will tell us everything we have been waiting to hear for all this time. Will they or will they not attend would be the first hurdle to overcome imho.  Lotus to me still don't look like a company that are gearing up to launch 2 or 3 cars. I really hope they are but time will tell. 

11 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

Lotus to me still don't look like a company that are gearing up to launch 2 or 3 cars. I really hope they are but time will tell. 

They did just recruit well over 100 engineers to work on internal projects. Can't think of a better way of looking like a company about to do that kind of thing? 

• Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Well the thing is they didn't go out into the market and buy Lotus. Lotus came with a bunch of other stuff they bought. I would imagine they have spent the last 10 months digging through the  books and seeing what they have actually got. 

The positive thing for these far eastern companies is that they really do value brands and heritage as you can do things with an old British brand that you simply cant't do from scratch in Korea (look how long it's taken Kia to get where they are literally a generation). The question is what they want to do with it. It's not about negativity its about realism. The fact is the sector has shrunk and the sector we are daydreaming they might go for is a tad crowded already and occupied by those pesky Germans. 

In ideal world I think we would all love to see an all new £30k Elise that would sell 20000 units and a GT4/3/McLaren rival that comes the top of all the group tests but the reality is that to do all that and make money is a much harder challenge in the world we live in now than it was in the mid 90's when the S1 came along and Lotus had it's best period. 

We are certainly entering an interesting period in the company's existence but I have a feeling it may transpire to be interesting for different reasons for different people. I personally think Lotus are a bit of a victim of the sector shifting on them and obviously the legislative barriers that make producing a new new car such a big ordeal. It's not an easy task and all us as Lotus fanatics (and I am!) can do is order their products. And look where that fecking got me! Maybe just praying could be a less stressful contribution :D

Well let's hope so. All I have been saying is that to make progress in this modern market is very very difficult almost impossible in fact but hopefully they will kick out some decent cars trying. 

As a Lotus buyer of 50 years and having seen them close to the brink of bankruptcy numerous times through that period, I agree with Bibs that this is potentially the beginning of a golden era for the company. Geely have the necessary financial clout and if they have the determination for Lotus to go toe to toe with Porsche, it would be a very brave man who would bet against it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonnyboy said:

I think you are right in that Geneva 2019 will tell us everything we have been waiting to hear for all this time. Will they or will they not attend would be the first hurdle to overcome imho.  Lotus to me still don't look like a company that are gearing up to launch 2 or 3 cars. I really hope they are but time will tell. 

They just attended Goodwood with a full line up of cars including a tribute car and 2 specials.

They have been gearing up quietly but we have to realize that they now have a lot more might (not to say brute force) at their disposal. It is pretty much invisible as it is mostly not in England, yet they have now access to staff and ressources from LEVC in Coventry, Volvo and CEVT in mainland Europe and Geely in China. Lotus was down to around 800 staff to I think 1000 right now (@Bibs correct me please) and over 10,000 engineers scattered around the globe. They have access to quality components (Volvo) and a very solid supply chain (Geely). Higher ups at Geely have already mentioned the fact that the SUV will be partly engineered in Coventry at LEVC before being possibly made in Chengdu (Geely's main campus) So we may never even see a prototype before it hits the show floor if they don't willingly leak images of said SUV, when it will undoubtedly go for winter test at Volvo's facility in Trondheim.  

I'm not even talking about the financial aspect, but Geely is bullish on establishing Lotus on solid footing but taking their time to do things right in a similar but not identical way to they did with Volvo.

https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/lotus-under-geely-whats-the-plan_id183501.aspx

That above, is a fluff piece as many people have more questions than answers and Lotus may keep us guessing for a while. which is not a bad thing. What i think we don't want is a repeat of the DB debacle, if we see a refreshed Evora next March it won't be a surprise it might be a very mild thing, just enough to keep us wanting for more.  

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1