Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Elite 1980 - Projects & Restorations - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Elite 1980

Hi,

Not sure if my car is really a project, but I suppose most of our cars are projects in some way or another? A little job I'd been meaning to do since I got the Elite was change the insulation under the bonnet. After a lot of thought about some nice shiny modern options (even the gold which I almost went for) I settled on something that looked as close to original as I could find. After removing the old matting i discovered someone had left an interesting drawing on the underside of the bonnet. i assume this was done in the factory ( I think I've seen other drawings else where on the forum?). I've no idea what it signifies. Looks like a 50 to me ? Maybe just M50 bonnet? 

Photo 1 before, Photo 2 bonnet with matting removed, photo 3 completed (minus inspection light which was melted and disintegrated....)

WP_20170622_19_28_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20170622_19_50_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20170623_17_32_23_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work Paul.

Not sure if Car builder Solutions may be able to assist with an LED alternative to the problem of the inspection light.

Similar issues with the roll bar mounted illumination for the central console. My Skoda Superb (surely the best named car in history! - other than the Ital of course!) has 2 tiny LED down lighters to illuminate the central console bit by the handbrake - it has got me thinking about smarter alternatives - surely better and neat beats original (and a bit crap!) - I'm sure Colin Chapman would have been fully behind this approach.....:sofa:

I'm seeing 50/20 with ears!

Maybe 50% of the effort for 20% more problems lol

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Looks great. :thumbsup:

Would love to see more pictures of the car.

• 1 month later...

We just used an appropriate holder for one of these type of bulbs

501 LED SIDELIGHT BULBS ICE WHITE XENON T10 W5W 194 HID WEDGE LAMP LIGHT 12V

image.jpeg.b8d810334a2a997d04601e7e4e701db8.jpeg

As Dave said, nothing was bypassed, just connected the new holder into the existing loom, and as far as I know it's still working ok.