Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Transforged Racing Afterburners & GRP Halo Lights - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Transforged Racing Afterburners & GRP Halo Lights

Any updates to this from people who have ordered either GRP or Transforged units?

What were the ultimate costs for getting the units from the States? I know the exchange rates will vary, but the $379 for the GRP is tempting, but what is the price-to-the-door for here in the UK?

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’ve got a set of the GRP lights and they look great. I’m going to post a thread about them when I get around to it. 

They cost me a total of £343. The biggest faff was that UK Customs decided to hang on to them in Coventry for 12 days. Grrr. 

3F3D59B2-7E4D-47A8-ABB9-D5034BC7659D.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep, I went for the ‘Euro’ spec with turn signals and reflectors so there shouldn’t be any problems come MOT time. 

You could always try asking Greg @ GRP if he has considered doing a set of reverse & fog lights in the same style. He seems to be very open to discussion and suggestions. Be aware, however, that changing the main lights is a 5 minute job each side (undo plug, 2x 8mm nuts). However, changing the reverse/fog lights is a rear bumper off job. 

:lol: cheers!

I still can't decide. :(

Which I guess means I don't love them enough to want to spend money. I guess they'll be the obvious answer if I ever have any problems with the factory units.....

Edited by mik

Fear my Photoshop skills!!

Or laugh at the lack of them. Either way i'm not fussed.

I'll probably got for it, and leave the fog / reverse lights as they work with my general colour scheme.

59fb07be9326d_Rear-Original.JPG.3cde5bbae228a991f90df46dbcf18a78.JPG59fb07c3629e3_Rear-Smoked.JPG.23d8c3dca3cad5a1f9253fa7de436548.JPG

Dr Rick

2009 Evora NA in Quartz Silver, black interior, Tech Pack, Sport Pack, 2Bular 3rd cat bypass, Kenwood head unit, black anodised ali bargeboards, GRP Halo rear lights

On 02/11/2017 at 07:56, Bravo73 said:

Yep, I went for the ‘Euro’ spec with turn signals and reflectors so there shouldn’t be any problems come MOT time. 

You could always try asking Greg @ GRP if he has considered doing a set of reverse & fog lights in the same style. He seems to be very open to discussion and suggestions. Be aware, however, that changing the main lights is a 5 minute job each side (undo plug, 2x 8mm nuts). However, changing the reverse/fog lights is a rear bumper off job. 

I hadn't thought of that with the reversing/fog lights - thank you. Both the GRP and Transforged lights look great!

My fog/reversing lights have the old silver surround (slowly wearing off), as do my main outer clusters so they'd be a mis-match with the black surround of new lights. But at this rate I'll get a long enough list of jobs to make it worthwhile taking the bumper off - change the reversing lights, adjust the reversing camera, sort out the change in shut-line width running down to the wheel-arch (assuming the fit of the bumper can be adjusted)...

• Gold FFM
On 9/29/2017 at 17:22, Bravo73 said:

Someone quoted the MOT regulations in an earlier thread and apparently stick on reflectors aren’t sufficient. 

@Brendonian, even if you swap the lamps over for the test each time, it doesn’t avoid the fact that the lights are technically illegal for the rest of the time. Like someone said, if you to get rear ended, an observant plod could take a very dim view on that. 

Insurance over here would drop you like a hot rock if you were involved in a collision and 'technically' your car is not roadworthy.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

5 hours ago, Chris J said:

My fog/reversing lights have the old silver surround (slowly wearing off), as do my main outer clusters so they'd be a mis-match with the black surround of new lights. 

The surrounds aren’t part of the GRP lights. Your’s will still be silver/‘chrome’ (although they are easy enough to paint). 

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2017 at 13:23, mik said:

How about something like THESE ?

Black, so could potentially mount on diffuser? (Trim lugs off and stick them on?)

I've just ordered a pair of these. Should get them before the lights arrive. Thanks for the suggestion, Mik ?

Well, the "reflectors" arrived yesterday. They're a bit shiny, but far from being effective reflectors. They're also too wide for the location I wanted to fit them on the diffuser surround, but at least it's given me something to think about. Also, I've now had a look at the MOT regulations, and they do require them to be red in appearance.

IMG_4439.thumb.JPG.bd1735ffff63af72de17300e09a17535.JPG

The good news is that Mick messaged me to say my Afterburners are in assembly, and should be shipped by the end of the week :D:D 

Disappointing. :(

I was hoping they might fit on the upper edge of the diffuser. (Edit : which is higher up, wider and pretty much a vertical face on the S diffuser - doh)

Stupid question alert - I take it you did shine a bright light at them in the dark and confirm whether they return a red reflection?

Edited by mik

I shone a torch on them in a dark room. Just saw a reflection as you'd expect from shiny black plastic. I might try with car headlamps tonight, but I don't expect much.

Since MOT regulations specify that they must be red in appearance (no mention of shining a light on them), it's a moot point anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

GRP's in smoked with red / amber turning + reflector - ORDERED.

:thumbsup:

Dr Rick

• 3 weeks later...

GRP's in smoked with red / amber turning + reflector - RECEIVED.

:thumbsup:

However, I have an MOT tomorrow, so should I try my best Xmas restraint and hold off till tomorrow evening to fit them, or go out and fit them today on the premise that they should be MOT compatible and all will be fine.

Cost me £11.75 in VAT and £11.25 in ParcelForce Handling Fee.

Grand total: £305.66 for the lights, plus £23 for the fees, so I'm all in for £328.66

Dr Rick

He did, and he said he would fit them prior to shipping (at no charge to me :D).

Without disassembling the unit, I can't see them. Presume the resistor is to stop the hyperflashing of the indicators? I might try to fit one and see what happens.

Dr Rick

Great. When I fitted mine, I had the 'hyper flashing' issue so I had to retrofit a couple of cheap resistors. Good to see that Greg is using the feedback to improve his products.

(The lights are easy enough to fit. It's a 5 minute job to remove one and replace it with another).