Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora GT430 - Page 92 - Evora Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora GT430

KAS-118

I've got the mat black, I'm not a fan of the glossy wheels.

My favorite was the one one my '10 Elise club racer un mat grey

Why be classic when you can be unique

Depends on the colour of the car as to matte or gloss but the gloss is easier to clean especially if ceramic coated.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

15 hours ago, anthonyyule said:

I’ve got Matt black wheels. I’ve never ever been a fan of turned edge wheels. All a bit 80’s for me 😉

oh I love the eighties and that silver rim to break up the black ;)  Think they make the alloy wheels look bigger by doing so

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I have all black wheels, but I prefer the silver rim on the black.

2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing (MT) ◄ 2017 Lotus Evora 400 (SOLD) ◄ 2013 Lotus Evora S (SOLD) ◄ 2005 Lotus Elise (SOLD) ◄ 1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 (SOLD)

@The Pits your write-up got me really intrigued to see the videos and get a proper review and comparison of the exige and evora 430's. 

I drove an auto Evora 400 on the track and I was taken away by it's amazing balance and feedback. I can only imagine what a GT430 would feel like.

You mention the exige 430 is faster on the straights and better on the brakes - I always wonder how that can only be worth 1 sec. Is the GT430 making up elsewhere on the track in comparison with an exige 430? 

Yes definitely, being more stable at high speed over Castle Combe’s notorious bumps meant you could be harder on the throttle and get on it earlier too. The Evora’s advantage might be less apparent on a smoother circuit but both cars could be improved with some suspension set up. Particularly the Exige with 3-way adjustment which would allow it to cope better with the sharper bumps. But the Evora could have gone softer too from its Hethel settings and perhaps carried even more speed. Downforce should be similar on both cars but the Evora inspired more confidence, it felt like it was generating more but might again be the better composure and body control. The Exige was more raw and wild and all the better for it. Makes sense to offer distinct characters. Exige is deliberately more raucous and the Evora is more refined. Even with a helmet on the Exige was very loud, earplugs stuff, and that one had sound deadening too I believe!

• Gold FFM

VERY interesting about the exhaust. I know my car static tested at something like 92db at 3000rpm but it's 110 at 4750 or so.

Are there any drive by meters at C Combe?

I agree with you on the visceral nature of the Cup 430 - it earns the "Cup" part of the moniker, for sure.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I peaked at 5,000rpm in the test but was trying to keep it under 4500rpm to stop the valve opening, still 102db.

Have to say though James, I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the Cup 430 after watching your video. I think you need your bum dyno checked. It absolutely was night and day quicker than a 350 Exige. I had one of those for nearly 5 years so know it well. I drove the same Liquid Yellow car as you drove and was left in no doubt about the performance step that has been taken. The passenger that was with me was absolutely blown away by it too. It came across a bit 'meh' (in a straight line) in your video when really it's 'FFS!'. That said, I find the popular view that the 430 engine doesn't have much more than the 400 also inaccurate. Much like this idea that a 410 is just a 400 on fast tyres. I can tell you that the Sport 410 and GT430 share the same spec tyres (MPSCup2). They're a bit wider at the back on a 430 of course but the gap in laptime with me driving was over 3 seconds. CC is a fairly short lap (1.85miles). Lotus has them 2.4 seconds apart over 2.2 miles at Hethel. Not bad for 20 bhp difference I'm sure you'd agree. Utterly miraculous unless the GT430 is considerably lighter and more powerful than the Sport 410 and Evora 400.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

You had the benefit of driving it on track, where I am in no doubt the car's extra power would come in mightily handy. The same with the aero - not really of massive use at road speeds.

Even my Evora unfortunately only seems to come alive around the national speed limit.

When it comes to Exiges, you are certainly the point of reference, not myself. If I find myself down at B&C again I will see about trying the 430 again, I need to find some better roads around there to test cars on. Too many with low speed limits, traffic, or both.

James Martin (JayEmm)

You were also underwhelmed by the GT430 in a straight line too I remember. I think perhaps there was some Evora 400 owner familiarity creeping in. Blatting it down an entirely unsuitable road, certainly some BMW driving style on show! ;)

As the owner of a trackday company is it unreasonable to expect some more track footage?

Credit where it’s due though, I don’t believe you used the word ‘insane’ once. On a YouTube car video!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

If Lotus' numbers are absoutely, 100% totally on-it, the GT430 shouldn't really feel that different to my car in terms of pure outright speed. As mentioned on here and I think in the video, my car is nicely run in at 20k miles and the car I drove was box fresh, it does make a big difference as you know.

And yes... as the owner of a track day company it pains me greatly that I can't take my own car on track! I may ask but I've discussed the Evora 400 with Blyton's noise chap and it was a very firm "no". As they get chucked off Silverstone I'm not surprised - I've heard the car on the road and it's VERY loud.

Getting good footage from tracks is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. If I have a camera come off a car when I am filming and it collides with someone else's car, I am going to be in trouble. Yes that can happen on the road, but at much lower speeds and it's much less likely - plus it's very bad form to mess up one's own track day.

You're quite welcome to join me on one though if you think the GT430 will get by the noise test!

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yet everyone thinks the 20bhp more, 10kg less 991 GT3RS is a big step over the GT3.

McLaren 650S - 675LT, 25bhp more.

Ferrari 458 - Speciale, 35 bhp more.

In percentage terms the Evora GT430 is offering larger gains than any of the above.

In power to weight terms, which continues to be ignored even here and continuously on your videos, the GT430 is 330bhp per ton versus the Evora 400's 286bhp per ton (based on Lotus' wet weight figures). I would expect that to be in the region of a noticeable difference. An Evora 400 would need over 460bhp to match that power:weight.

Lotus haven't helped themselves of course by annoying everyone with their speed of new model launches. When they go and release two models that really do move the game on, the reaction is muted and cynical. We're already looking past these 430 cars for the assumed 450. James has the only videos on YouTube about these cars and he's underwhelmed by both. My experience based on yesterday, was that the combination of uprated brakes, aero, dampers, tyres, weight reduction and the power increase really does add up.

• Like 2

Guys, 

who had gone for full PPF on his GT430? And how much it costs in average?

I have a Charcoal Matte paint (semimatte in fact) and the remaining in Glossy Carbon as usual. 

Would you advise full PPF or just front bumper? Cost average on matte?

thx for ur feedback

Matte PPF rarely looks great from the ones I've seen. Probably better off doing the whole thing if you can stretch to it then at least you'll have a consistent look.

I have full front, roof, all of the rear bumper and some interior done for about £2k. Still seems quite expensive to me for what it is but I thought those vents would eat the paint alive. They don't actually so you could get by with less PPF if you wanted.

It does offer some peace of mind. A bird let rip on my roof and I could relax knowing the PPF was there. Worth doing the carbon interior sills too, they will get easily scratched otherwise and they are no doubt very expensive to replace.

• Gold FFM

On other cars I have heard quotes of several thousand for a complete PPF.

Surely you can't really PPF matte, it won't look right?

James Martin (JayEmm)

They all 'come alive' above 5,000 to the limiter. That is I am certain where the real 'OMG' difference would be felt. But you need to get there to feel it!

This was the same in the S2 SC cars as well and I am sure the SC Evora is similar. You have to be pretty 'on it' to exploit that on the public highway where, as we all know, it's not really possible...

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

Matte PPF rarely looks great from the ones I've seen. Probably better off doing the whole thing if you can stretch to it then at least you'll have a consistent look.

I have full front, roof, all of the rear bumper and some interior done for about £2k. Still seems quite expensive to me for what it is but I thought those vents would eat the paint alive. They don't actually so you could get by with less PPF if you wanted.

It does offer some peace of mind. A bird let rip on my roof and I could relax knowing the PPF was there. Worth doing the carbon interior sills too, they will get easily scratched otherwise and they are no doubt very expensive to replace.

It will be Xpel Stealth PPF for matte

changes 4-5% of the original shades I think

2 hours ago, pete757 said:

They all 'come alive' above 5,000 to the limiter. That is I am certain where the real 'OMG' difference would be felt. But you need to get there to feel it!

This was the same in the S2 SC cars as well and I am sure the SC Evora is similar. You have to be pretty 'on it' to exploit that on the public highway where, as we all know, it's not really possible...

Ah but that is the absolute sweet spot of the S1 NA Evora. When that cam changes she really comes alive and is sweet and usable on uk roads. The S1 NA really is a sweet spot car...

• Like 1

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

12 hours ago, The Pits said:

You were also underwhelmed by the GT430 in a straight line too I remember. I think perhaps there was some Evora 400 owner familiarity creeping in. Blatting it down an entirely unsuitable road, certainly some BMW driving style on show! ;)

2010 Evora S 2+2 : 345 BHP @ 7000 RPM, 296 lb-ft @ 4500 RPM, 1437 KG  Kerb 

2018 Evora 400 2+2  400 BHP @ 7000 RPM, 302 ib-ft @ 3500 RPM, 1395 KG Kerb 

2018 Evora GT430 2 Seater* : 430 @ 7000 RPM, 325 @ 4500 RPM, 1299 KG Kerb * without options  (* AC, ICE, cabin insulation, Sparco seats etc all Optional, 2+2 seating unavailable )

Maximum torque has increased by 10% at the same RPM,  over 9 model years. 

Once typical options are added back to the GT430 (+50 KG?) torque : weight ratio has increased by 11% ( @ 1k higher up the rev range) compared to the Evora 400. 

Torque is what you feel as power most on the road, I'm not surprised JayEmm couldn't feel a step change, there isn't one.

Before I bought my '14 Evora S, I tried a 410 back to back (both manual). The 410 was better in many areas - gear change, clutch pedal feel, NVH, smoothness of power delivery.... but in terms of chassis, steering & power they felt equal on the road.  For track focused use, I wouldn't consider a 1.4 ton Evora anyways, that's what my S1 Duratec Elise is for. 

Torque.jpg

Edited by Cain-it

Don’t forget here you’re  comparing peak power and torque. Only meaningful way is looking at the areas under the curve. 

As to driving experience, then when I’ve driven each from an S through too 430 I found it pretty easy to see the incremental improvements. Whether they’re worth it is only something you can decide. 

• Like 2

Black n gold