Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How much would you pay to store and swap trackday exhaust - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How much would you pay to store and swap trackday exhaust

DJW

So the 380 has a great sounding exhaust but will be too loud for track days. So I know I will have to invest in a track friendly exhaust, but don’t want to spoil the soundtrack for road use.  

Luckily enough I have a friend who has his own garage business in Redditch, who can quickly swap exhausts over before and after each track day and store the spare exhaust on my behalf.  I suggested he might want to offer the service for others , as I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting the flexibility to flip between exhausts.  

So question is , would others be Intereted  and what do you feel would be a fair price for swapping and storing exhausts ?

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A fair price would be the cost of the labour, wouldn't it? 

I'm not sure how much more (or less) involved an Exige is but I'm pretty sure that I can get my Evora on a lift, diffuser & rear undertray off and silencer swapped over within the hour. And I am pretty rubbish and untrained, to be fair.

Storage should be free (because the whole process is bound to lead to extra work).

So, in summary, an hour's labour?

• Thanks 1

Had my old V6S fitted with a great exhaust from Scotland :) I would say a two hour job for a garage (including on/off a lift). Everything is easy to get at, its just being careful not to scratch the inside wall of diffuser. Just make sure you have lots of gakets though :)

cheers

Mark

• Gold FFM

I would have thought you would still have to pay something for storage if the mechanic is going to keep them at his premises?

Let's think of this. If he takes this stock (essentially) on board and gets broken into and all of the exhausts go, who is liable for them? If he has to increase his insurance to cover, should he wear that cost himself?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 07:00, Mark030358 said:

Had my old V6S fitted with a great exhaust from Scotland :) I would say a two hour job for a garage (including on/off a lift). Everything is easy to get at, its just being careful not to scratch the inside wall of diffuser. Just make sure you have lots of gakets though :)

cheers

Mark

The QT back box I've got is a sleeve joint, not a flange one, so no gasket. Haven't done a swap yet, still thinking about doing a Dzus replacement for most of the fasteners.

@MartynB If putting a 2bular on a V6S then its a box and an intermediate pipe which replaces the one piece OEM unit, a gasket is used at the flanged joint. On my 380, as it’s an Evora exhaust with a bigger bore, the intermediate pipe needs to be modified for diameter and the fitting of a sleeve.

cheers

Mark

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:22, DJW said:

So the 380 has a great sounding exhaust but will be too loud for track days. So I know I will have to invest in a track friendly exhaust, but don’t want to spoil the soundtrack for road use.  

Luckily enough I have a friend who has his own garage business in Redditch, who can quickly swap exhausts over before and after each track day and store the spare exhaust on my behalf.  I suggested he might want to offer the service for others , as I’m sure I’m not alone in wanting the flexibility to flip between exhausts.  

So question is , would others be Intereted  and what do you feel would be a fair price for swapping and storing exhausts ?

Would it just be a lot easier to buy a 2bular track system which sounds better than stock one anyway and stick the add on silencers on yourself when required?

Edited by RedViper
  • Thanks 1

Just checked their website and no price as of yet for the 380. Will drop them an email. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

3 hours ago, DJW said:

Just checked their website and no price as of yet for the 380. Will drop them an email. 

Doesn't the 380 use the same exhaust as the 400?

And it's not a 'them'. It's a 'he'. And, wow, what a 'he'. Welcome to the wonderful world of Jim Valentine.

• Confused 1