Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Gearbox woes - Page 3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Gearbox woes

Hi  Glyn 

I have same  Esprit as yours  Esprit Turbo 88 and a  few years ago, I  swap with  later type Gearbox  (I can't remember it's UN 26), So  Gear change  cables has connected to rigt side without translater.  At the  time  I don't have  the  new type  gearchange cables  incl. Gear change lever assmbly.

So, just swap  the old  Rear Cover  and re-used gearchage cable  without any problem. But another issue  I had  there was no speed drive on  gearbox, So I need to replaced  mecanical  speed  to  electric one. 

I think  it's  rather  easy to re-bild a gearbox,  I replaced sychro rings and bearings  many years ago  but parts are expencive.

Good  luck  

Yasuo 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Or could it be that it's more like someone putting needles into a model-Esprit of Barry's...

I think running a supercar was never going to be cheap. I look at it like this: all maintanance I do mysef if at all possible. Ask for help if anything else comes up. Every season without severe expenses is a "free" season. But in theory the same amount of funds should be left as a savings for when something heavy breaks down. For me so far, 4 years of no problems, save a clutchmaster, clutch slave, a few rubber hoses, a lightswitch (blinkerarm) and a single Little contact point on an electrical connector, which needed to be tight Again to make popper contact. Everything else have been on my own initiative like upgrades and a fre changes.

As a small token of comfort, a 911-996 is most countries cost the same as when the cylinderwallsurface Wears out (quickly). Or the IMS. The same as a whole car...

I think our Esprits are still very cheap in comparison. Fortunately.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Still can’t get hold of Chris Cole.. although I did get a quote for cryo treating a new crownwheel and pinion. Only £95 which sounds very reasonable to me. Quite pleased with that so will be getting a new set and getting it done. Want to speak to Chris first though before I buy even an O ring in case he convinces me I should be getting a V8 box (or not).

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering reading the posts if there is any merit in adding something like Lucas gearbox oil  additive compounds to protect or quieten the unit?

If so, what brand/type? and is 1 Litre enough? I've seen some advertised on eBay at about £15 per Litre.

Has anyone tried adding such and noticed any discernible difference or is it all spin - no pun intended?