Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 time to go but where to sell? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 time to go but where to sell?

philleech

OK so after 15 years of ownership its time for my S1 to go. Id love to keep her but Ive just bought a new project and Im going to need the space. The question is where is the best place to sell it? Ebay and Pistonheads would get maximum viewing probably along with maximum hassle from dreamers and hopeful joyriders. I will definitely list it on here along with the Club Lotus mag to reach the enthusiasts but I thought Id ask what avenues others have been succesful with. 

Phil

IMG_20170921_164026_resized_20171123_075929302.jpg

• Love 1

On 23/11/2017 at 22:33, philleech said:

Thanks guys how could I forget LEW and car and classic looks good too. Theres already an S1 on c and c so will hold off for a little while as mine will be cheaper than that one.....Wouldnt want to flood the market with two for sale at once!!

In answer to your question Alan Im afraid Im leaving Lotus ownership after 30 years (Sunbeam, Elise x 2 , Exige , Esprit) to tick the next bucket list box which is a 2+2 E type. I just hope my two kids will still be small enough to fit in it by the time its finished. 

s-l500.jpg

Good choice Phil, I'm currently restoring a RHD 1965 FHC e-type. I hope you've got very deep pockets hahaha

I suspect your biggest problem with the Esprit will be working out what it's worth.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Paul, I knew you had an e type too in fact Ive just seen a Paul Coleman on the etype forum and guessed it was you. Im going to advertise mine for £50k and see if I get any interest. As with anything its worth what anyones prepared to pay. My biggest problem will be being at home long enough to meet any potential buyers as Im not at home much for the next few months.

Phil

12 minutes ago, philleech said:

Hi Paul, I knew you had an e type too in fact Ive just seen a Paul Coleman on the etype forum and guessed it was you. Im going to advertise mine for £50k and see if I get any interest. As with anything its worth what anyones prepared to pay. My biggest problem will be being at home long enough to meet any potential buyers as Im not at home much for the next few months.

Phil

Yeah that'll be me :) I've been a member on the Jag Lovers forum since 2003 - that's the best e-type forum imho. If you think Esprit bits are expensive you ain't seen nothin' yet! Have you got the bonnet? If not it'll be about £7,000 not including fitting and paint. A professional paint job on an e-type will run you £15,000.

If you get anywhere near the £50,000 mark for your Esprit you'll have the funds to do the e-type :)

I'm replacing the bottom 12" of mine!!

3 minutes ago, philleech said:

What this bit? Yep got a shiny new one.s-l500.png.e37bc364fc260dc4434a9e70b4a06fc9.png

Yeah that's the engine cover ;) I've just finished buying all the panels for mine. Every time I placed an order it seemed they'd gone up by about 10% :cry:

38 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Have you thought about a reputable classic car auction? They seem to attract enthusiasts and decent examples of any classic seem to do well.

I looked at putting my S1 into the auction at the NEC but they put a price on it of £35k to £40k and wouldn't allow a reserve above this. I turned down an offer of £70k on it a while back so I think they were a little out of touch!

3 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

I looked at putting my S1 into the auction at the NEC but they put a price on it of £35k to £40k and wouldn't allow a reserve above this. I turned down an offer of £70k on it a while back so I think they were a little out of touch!

Disappointing. I was there and it seemed a very good quality auction. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...