Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V6 to 400 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V6 to 400

Gashead1105

Has anyone made the switch from a V6 to a 400? Any regrets in doing so? I'm vaguely thinking about going down to one car and having driven a 400 on track it didn't seem to lose out much (or anything) to the Exige performance wise. I appreciate that the 400 is also louder which would be great most of the time! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@mcx went the other way. 400 to v6.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I really like the 400, was pretty good on track, I drove it at the 'ring, Silverstone GP, Hethel. As you say, great noise but that brings a lot of issues at most tracks and finding noisy enough limits is tricky. I think for one car that's very civilised on a run, great fun on a twisty road and will do track duty pretty well the 400 is a bargain.

I never drove my 400 on track and was never really tempted to, but those that have rave about it's ability. Certainly as a road car, it's superb with a genuine dual personality - pure sports car if you want, or sublime civilised cruiser if you want.

I'd never consider an Exige or Elise as an only car, but the Evora excels at this. I loved my 400, more so than my V6 Exige.

If you want to go a step sportier and more track focused look at a Sport 410. It’s a really strong package. Those hung up with the misguided notion that it’s ‘only 10bhp more’ are missing out big time.

• Like 1

Needs to be 4 seats to be justifiable - an only car basically. And second hand. Ideally I wouldnt be putting in any cash, both my current cars would be sold, so 410s would be out. And also the carbon fibre seats in the 410 are horrible, ridiculously uncomfortable. They are mounted too upright in my opinion. Sorry. 

46 minutes ago, The Pits said:

If you want to go a step sportier and more track focused look at a Sport 410. It’s a really strong package. Those hung up with the misguided notion that it’s ‘only 10bhp more’ are missing out big time.

NB. FWIW, it's not even 'only 10bhp more'. The engine and ECU are identical between the 400 & 410.

I don't doubt the hardware is identical, but the car is marketed as 416PS/410bhp on the website, are you saying the calibration is actually no different and therefore there's nothing at all to give a power uplift over the 400 (406PS)?

The GT430 also uses the same engine and ecu, are you going to suggest that it’s not really 430bhp? The 410 shares identical power characteristics to the 311, both are different to the 400. The difference is subtle but that doesn’t mean it’s not there. If you can prove that they are running the same engine map then let’s see that. Otherwise it’s just spreading unfounded rumour and cynicism. There’s a whole other website for that.

A lot of the confusion has arisen because of the difference between bhp vs ps as Arun has pointed out.

Everyone’s free to believe what they like. I can tell you that the 410 was performing  on track way beyond the 400 I drove. Exige V6 Cup is a sizeable step up as a track car but the 410 could match it. No mean feat for anyone who’s ever driven a V6 Cup on track. If the power’s identical then the chassis tweaks and weight loss are even more impressive. The 410 is a car that delivers in the real world, hence why I recommend that those interested in tracking an Evora try one. A few for sale used at 400 money currently. Unless you have very young children the 410 is no less practical either.

• Like 1

Of course the cars felt different on track. Different tyres, different weight, different suspension, different geo etc etc. But, the power outputs are the same, I'm afraid. I am totally confident with the sources of my info. (Yes, this has been confirmed by more than one person). And I'm not going to reveal my sources here, I'm afraid.

If you choose to dismiss this as 'unfounded rumour and cynicism' then I've got no problem with that. That's up to you. I'll just mark that up as a (small) victory for the Lotus marketing department.

No, power characteristics were identical between 410 and 311 despite far greater differences as cars and both felt different to the 400. Can anyone think of a good reason why Lotus should not just claim 400bhp for the 311 if that’s what it has? There was no need to add a 10 for one-upmanship there. Mystery sources just mean that’s what you’ve been told rather than what you know. I’m talking from personal experience.

Fairly pathetic arguing sbout 10bhp either way so I’ll leave it there but it only adds to the stupidity of dismissing the Sport 410 as ‘only 10bhp more’.

I’d never have swapped my Exige for a 400 but had a 410 on order until the 430 was announced. I think that’s what’s called putting your money where your mouth is. I would suggest that a 410 is a better choice for those coming from an Exige.

• Like 1

I need back seats (have to justify to my wife and have small children!), and a 410 is out of my budget - the cheapest I've seen is 70k, and 60k is the absolute, pushing-it-beyond-man-maths-into-the-unreasonable-having-sold-the-exige-already, limit). And I couldn't live with the seating position in the sport 410.

My wife thinks that I should sell both cars, buy a Civic Type R and bank the rest for the Caterhams (which is also tempting actually, but there's only so many times that I can drive @Gm77's 400 for a Lotus fix!)

Back seats are tiny aren't they? Could be a real struggle driving along as the little ones kick the crap out of the seats. Keep the exige and get a ten year old range rover for family duties.... will be good for towing the caterham too.

• Like 1

They are small. But so is a 911. It would only be occassional use, but they would be used. And having seen Greg's 400 and how his kids sat in it, (and mine have gone in it a couple of times as well) it should be fine. 

2 cars is not an option if I'm going to go for a 400. Another mate of mine has a 10 year old RR, it's costing him a fortune (re-furb'd engine last month!) to run so no thanks. Transit will be acquired as a tow van when the time comes. 

Have gone from Exige V6 to Evora 400 Auto to Exige Sport 350 to Exige Sport 380....and few more before then ;)

FD591A4B-AC76-4CC9-8DA2-AA0D6D94C075.thumb.jpeg.6d094b4f7b507634aa7438620b0cb8f6.jpeg

The Evora 400 is a stunning car which I loved.  The only reason I sold it was because Silverstone reckoned they could sell it for what I paid for it 10 months earlier, so the temptation to cash in was too much ;)

When I got the car I test drove both the manual and auto.  Both were excellent, but the fact the Auto was so quick to change gear with the paddles meant I preferred it.  The sound as you know, just blew me away.  I’ve never known a car with such a broad difference in loudness  between exhaust closed and open 

I took it on track at Donington, Silverstone and a Sporting Bears event at Rockingham.  At all, the car was excellent , giving you lots of confindence through the likes of craner curves fully loaded up.  The standard tyres however are hopeless for track as they quickly overheat.  I did run nitrogen in the tyres and never saw more than a 4psi rise.

I also joined the Supercar owners of S9S to their annual visit to the IOM , and enjoyed 140mph plus over the mountain.  Once again the confidence the car gives you, meant 100 mph bends were no problem.  One of the other owners in their 458 mentioned how fast the car was, as I filled his mirrors and plenty mentioned how good it sounded.  Great compliments from the owners of such exotica .  The car didn’t look out of place either ....ok maybe against the P1 it did ;)

IMG_1592.thumb.JPG.5abc47332731ea25422f61f38c7a0cf6.JPG

On one of my regular visits to Lotus Silverstone, I test drove the Exige Sport 350 and was very impressed with the improvement in front end bite and ride bs my old V6S.  At first I felt this feels faster than the Evora on the twisties.  However a quick back to back run over the same roads in the Evora showed how capable the car is.  Very similar speeds when looking at the speedo, but a much more refined ride meant it hid the speed well.  The 410 I test drove months later takes it to another level.  

So in summary, yes go for it.  You won’t regret it.  The car is stunning to drive, a great place to be inside that cabin (I loved my red leather) , will be great on track subject to different tyres and not getting black flagged for noise and depreciation is minimal once a year old.  

I’ll have another one at some point, most likey a 410 although I would want 430 style seats. 

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Wouldn't a NA feel a bit slow on track though ?  Although light versus the competition , the Evora is still a fair lump to propel around a track 

However if road use only, seems a nice car for the money.  

Didn't realise you were also considering S1 model.  Ran a 2011 S version as a daily runner for a year, including a trip to the Nurburgring.  Recaro seats are super comfy and ride is excellent. 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I’d say my 400 has been pretty good at depreciation.

£68,450 new, maybe £60,000 today? In almost 18months, not bad for a new car.

almost a £1 per mile in depreciation :lol:

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Your 400 was a cracking buy for sure @CocoPops Essex blue is lovely as well! Fancy swapping for my V6?! 

Not really considering an S1. But it does look to be competitively priced. Think it may have been a Silverstone demonstrator that I've driven actually! Recall it as being very nice as a road car but lacking a little out of roundabouts so probably a bit short on grunt for track use, even if I only did a couple last year. And I'm not sure I could inflict the back seats on my kids. 

2 minutes ago, DJW said:

Wouldn't a NA feel a bit slow on track though ?  Although light versus the competition , the Evora is still a fair lump to propel around a track 

My NA got around Silverstone GP in 2.36 a couple of months back, about the same as the lap record for a trackday trophy race car*. It's not that slow! 

*http://www.trackdaytrophy.co.uk/circuit-overview.aspx

Having had 7 Evoras now, the NA does keep up with the S in most circumstances, the extra power isn't that noticeable, I felt that the mid range torque was the biggest difference between the blown and NA cars. 

• Thanks 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I've driven a 400 on track. Wasn't pushing as not my car but seemed to be able to keep up with V6 Exiges without actually trying!