Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora S IPS shift paddles random(?) failure - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora S IPS shift paddles random(?) failure

Hi all,

after selling my Esprit S4 i treated myself with a 2012 Evora S IPS last year. So far I'm very happy and all minor issues were either "features" or quickly solved. 

But - there is one issue that starts bothering me, as it occurred already 3-4 times, and I currently can't reproduce it, as it happens rather randomly. When in Sport mode and using the paddles, the car sometimes suddenly ignores any paddle input from one second to the other. Only a restart (turning off and on the engine - or better said: software reset...?) can solve it (until it happens again, which may not even be on the same day...). Shifting in "Auto"-mode is unaffected and works either in "sport" or "normal" mode as intended and flawless, even if the paddles are dysfunctional.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Should I check for any errors inside the ECU? 

Cheers & thanks!

d

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No - it's just completely ignoring any input from the paddles from then on - without the usual warning triangle or any other dashboard lights...

Edited by casewolf
typo

• Gold FFM

While I have little knowledge of the systems involved or what should show up on the dash, I was going to suggest a paddle switch as well.

Is it always the same paddle that 'misses' a shift or both? (same paddle, switch possibly. both paddles, software possibly or the solenoid on the gearbox itself?)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

If it is the software, surely the error will be logged somewhere via the ECU?

I'd note the date and time it happens in the future to be giving to a repairer or Lotus themselves.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

If its both then I would think either a loose earth/neutral (try the other buttons on the steering wheel for cruise control) or software/tcu.

Gav

Funnily I don't have cruise control on the steering wheel! As I wanted to update that, I'll have to let it check (the earth) - thanks for your ideas. Also noting the time when it happens is a good idea!

• 1 month later...

My 2014 IPS had a sticky paddle, that was fixed under warranty.  It wasn't ignoring paddle input but just wasn't operating smoothly, so I guess its not the same problem as yours.

I would start by getting a dealer to re-flash the gearbox ecu to see if that helps.

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, sorry to bring this topic up after so many years, but I still got this problem. Since it hasn't got worse and my dealer (Komotec, btw.) hasn't found a solution I'm still living with that issue. At one point I thought it was gone (changed the battery), but the success was short-lived (or not there at all, hard to say). I can't reproduce the error, so it may come up right at the beginning of a drive or not at all. Therefore it's very hard to diagnose. The OBD says there is an issue with the paddles, but the presumably faulty one has been changed with no success. Has anybody any ideas to track the error down?

Thanks for your reply, I will ask the workshop to check for that. In earlier days I would wrench by myself, but I got tired of that recently. My car is in for scheduled service in May, I will create a checklist for them.

The paddles are just a simple switch on a two pin plug with a couple of resistors between the terminals, possibly to check the switch is present. Holding both paddles together engages neutral, so if one switch sticks on, the other will appear unresponsive. When they fail try holding one on for 10 seconds and then the other and if you get neutral you know that's the issue. If not, then I'd suspect a onnection issue with the steering wheel or weird software or ECU problem Given the resistors must be there for something I'd expect the car to know if it couldn't see the paddles though 

20220525_110556.jpg

Hello Spanky, thanks for your reply. The paddles - when the error occurs - both fail instantly and there is an error code put into the TCU. The switches will then be de-activated entirely (by TCU) and "put out of order" (that is the programmed behavior of the TCU, at least, that's what the workshop told me) until the car is re-started. So there is no way I can check it the way you described. I may be wrong though (and will definitely give it a try, every hint is much appreciated!). The car will in the meantime be "stuck" in Manual mode, so if this happens while in an overtaking-attempt, it can be very dangerous (no manual upshifting, possible danger of running into limiter!). You can override it by pressing the "D" button on the center console (I got quick in doing this 😁 as I can sense the error quickly enough) and the car then falls back into full-automatic (but still sport-) mode.

Mind: If I re-start the car instantly, the paddles are still shut-off. I have to wait a few seconds, close the car by key (while sitting inside), opening up (key-button), then re-start (there will be a wrench displayed in cockpit). After that, there is no guarantee that it's "cured", sometimes it will work for the rest of the day, sometimes not and the procedure has to be re-applied again. It's driving me crazy (no pun intended).