Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Digital Photography Thread - Page 2 - Photography Matters - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Digital Photography Thread

Bibs

Bit late in on the thread, but I got myself a 400D in January and am very happy with it.

I was spending a LONG time deciding between the 400D, the Nikon D80 and the Sony Alpha 100.

In the end, although it had some nice techie features, I wrote off the Sony 'cause the lenses were a bit less easy to get and the picture quality seemed not as good (from the reviews).

I would have loved the Nikon, but it was a bit out of my price range and I wanted to get more than 1 lens with the camera, so I went for the 400D with the kit EF-S 18-55 and a Sigma 70-300 (non-APO, so real low-end lens).

After more than 3000 pics since January, I'm delighted with the camera. Yes, the grip is smaller, but it fits my hands fine. As for build quality, I look after things so it feels fine to me.

It's going to be quite a learning experience going from a point-and-shoot to the DSLR. I had a Fuji S7000 (prosumer) before, and I would say that after 3000 pics with the EOS I'm just starting to get the hand of getting decent pics.

Have a look at the EOS300D/350D/400D forum on www.dpreview.com - VERY useful resource with loads of hints and tips and advice about things.

One other piece of advice - get yourself the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens. It's a prime lens (i.e. it has a fixed focal length of 50mm (80mm equivalent)), so you zoom by moving your feet. BUT, it's optical characteristics are way above it's price point - you can pick one up for about

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Untitled-1.jpg

:unworthy:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

Untitled-1.jpg

:unworthy:

Your cat does not look very impressed :wallbash:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Took it back to Jessops today after I noticed it seemed to smell of rum, have colour match blue powder paint on it and the flash stopped popping up. Props to the shop, they did a straight swap for another new one without too much of a fuss :X

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Glad to see you bought a Canon Bibs :X

I've had a number of Canon DSLRs and always been very happy with them.

Looks like this thread is gonna turn into a Cat photo show now, so I'm gonna dig out my 20D and go find my cat ;)

BTW - how much polish have you been putting on your car????

Rob S

Bibs, I think I've spotted your problem...

This is for stroking:

Untitled-1.jpg

and this is for driving:

IMG_0078.jpg

From the look on the cat's face, and the shine on the car, I'd say you've got them mixed up!

More speed, less haste

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the Celebrity Soccer Six yesterday at West Ham and have just found out that The Sun are paying for a couple of my pics! They aren't gonna be in the rag, they are of the Showbiz Editor and his hero, Frank McAvennie but I've been paid for pictures!!!! :) :) ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Bibs.

Now you have had it a number of weeks and used it to the point of near destruction, has it lived up to your expectations? Is there anything that you know now that you didn't know before buying it that would in any way change your choice? Any other details that you think relivant to a potential buyer? Ta.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I'm very pleased to be honest. I also use Lightroom from Adobe and shoot exclusively in RAW so have a lot of flexibility with my shots once I get them on the PC.

There are rumours that the kit lens isn't amazing, but for my level it's more than good enough plus I also now have a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG and the Canon nifty fifty (50mm f1.8) so plenty of versality and the Siggy is very very sharp so is my most used lens. They is also a rumour that the 400D underexposes but once again I've not noticed it on my example and if anything that's better than overexposing and losing details, plus the software can correct this very easily.

I'd happily recommend the 400D and Abode Lightroom as your PP software. If you want one, pop to the shops and hold one, it's not suited to those with big hands but nice and light and as easy or as complicated to use as you want it to be.

:thumbsup: I agree. Also bought a new 10-22 to go with it and was able to take eg a whole car picture from about a foot away today at Bromley Pageant. Stunning! (Sadly it doesn't make up for a duffer behind the viewfinder tho. I still cant take pics like some of you guys even with all this great kit!)

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

• 2 weeks later...

This is now the official photography thread!

I had a press pass for the GLC (yes, they still exist!) gig on Friday night at NASS in Somerset, whaddya think? :)

http://www.glcforum.com/bibs/nass

1. The Maggot

IMG_3815_2.jpg

2. Eggsy

IMG_3822_2.jpg

3. Eggsy again

IMG_3849_2.jpg

4. Adam & Billy

IMG_3879_2.jpg

5. Mike Balls

IMG_3948_2.jpg

6. 2hats

IMG_3992_2.jpg

7. The crowd!

IMG_4000_2.jpg

8. Arms in the air!!!

IMG_4054_2.jpg