Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Aerial Replacement - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Aerial Replacement

My aerial is missing, I didn't notice when I bought the car as the top fitting by the driver's mirror had a bit of black filler hiding the problem.

I've removed the filler and it looks like the aerial has broken off at some point and I can see the stud of a cable looking into the small hole. I may be able to pull the cable out a bit with nose pliers?

I want to replace it, but it looks to me like a pain to access?

Does the driver's door need to be removed to gain access, just the inner panels or worse?

Would it have been an electric operated aerial or manual pull out?

Thxs  

Stevens S3 1988 N/A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure but I think from the 88 model onwards, there is a removeable panel in the drivers footwell to access the aerial. It would have originally been electrically operated.

:) 

It's getting there......

One thing you should check before buying is the size needed. (Measure the depth required...I recall that the depth in the Esprit is a limiting factor that narrows your choices.

if there IS an access provided, take a look and post back!

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks Tim, Gents, 

I will remove the trim and check. IT will likely mean removing or loosening the handbrake trim and perhaps seat for ease of access.

Has anyone experience of changing their aerial?

I removed my aerial years and years ago as it was broken, but I'm afraid I can't remember how I did it. I don't remember there being a special access panel though I'm afraid.

Are you keeping the car standard? If not, I fitted an aerial strip that sits above the headlining trim where the rear view mirror is and blanked off the hole on the wing. Worked well for the last 20 years, although I don't really listen to the radio to be fair! :)

One of these things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Convertible-Classic-Car-interior-radio-AM-FM-aerial-internal-vintage/300937193481?hash=item4611412809:g:zsUAAOSwYVlaHFb3

Edited by Glyn Harper

That sounds like a great idea.

I have to remove the headlining fixings because my driver's side sun-visor is too floppy - kill 2 birds with one stone!.

• 2 years later...

I didn't get around to replacing my aerial 88 Stevens, but the cavity/height appears more than sufficient for most alternative replacements. I just listen to the engine sound track or use the USB nowadays. 

I did try fitting a windscreen aerial that I hid under the roof lining behind the sun shades, running the lead down behind the side pillar, but removed after trying as the reception was poor and also putting a grommit in the wing panel hole looked shabby - it needed to be filled and sprayed properly.

Let me know if you find an access hole in the drivers footwell as I still haven't removed the carpet/trim to see if one actually exists? 

i recently removed mine.  it wasn't much fun.  it was working fine but I didn't like it...too 70's looking.  PM me if you are interested in it.  cheers

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

On my '89 there was access,  not sure I'd call it a hole. From the Lotus position I could just reach the bolts and take out the aerial. I have replaced it with a wire antenna under the frunk with an amplifier from an old Range Rover. It works OK, but reception gets worse when the engine is running, probably because of the proximity of the fusebox.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.