Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Peoples’ reaction to your Evora - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Peoples’ reaction to your Evora

Frimley111R

Has anyone actually managed to squeeze an adult into the +2 seats of an Evora sitting in "proper" sitting position? I tried with a fairly average height ladyfriend (my partner's sister) at the weekend and she couldn't sit upright because the roof's too low. And to give her enough leg room the front passenger would have had to have his legs chopped off. I use the +2 seats as additional storage space, given the boot is so narrow!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Only possible for kids. As you say the roof height is the limiting factor. I'm a fraction under 6ft and there's still leg room for a child behind me when I have the driver's seat in the correct position. I'd say about 12 years old would be the (head) cut-off point.

Just arrived back from the doctors. An older guy with his camera phone was waiting by my car and asked whether he could take some pictures of my car. We chatted for about 10 mins about the car itself. Whilst he didn't know what model it was, he knew the engine was in the back. We then went on chatting about the Esprit and the Bond Esprit.

We then went on to talk about insurance and running costs, which I get asked about a lot. He was gob smacked when I told him that I pay a little over £300 for fully comp,11K a year, protected NCB, my wife to drive it, business use etc. It was £55 cheaper than my Audi A5!

When he was finished taking pictures, including the engine bay, he said that I should charged people to take pictures of my Evora!

It's brightened up my day which started off really crap!

£300 for fully comp? Christ, I'm paying £800 for fully comp social domestic pleasure only, 8K a year. But then I opted for private land rather than garage use - if you insure for garaged and then it's outside your house while you pop inside and it gets nicked, your insurance may well not pay up. I did get a quote for about £400 though - and others for around £1,000-1,200 and even over £2,000!

Only possible for kids. As you say the roof height is the limiting factor. I'm a fraction under 6ft and there's still leg room for a child behind me when I have the driver's seat in the correct position. I'd say about 12 years old would be the (head) cut-off point.

The Evora would be a great car for peados!! I popped to the shop the other day which is just down from a secondary school.  It was chucking out time so there were a lot of kids about.  As I got out the car & went to go into the shop, a lad said to me "nice car mate, can you take me for a spin".  So much for kids being more streetwise these days!!! 

(ps, I declined his request) 

I have insured my Evora being parked on driveway at night and roadside by day.

It's now actually cheaper to insure a modern on road at night as opposed to garage. I did compassions online to prove it!

I supposed because thieves know where your car is when they break into your house to fetch the keys for your car! 

It's now actually cheaper to insure a modern on road at night as opposed to garage. I did compassions online to prove it!

I supposed because thieves know where your car is when they break into your house to fetch the keys for your car! 

Makes sense I guess. Alas I live fairly remotely so if I park on the nearest public road near a house that's not obviously where the keys are, I'll be walking 3 miles home ;)

That said, the spare's with a friend and the main key is always on me, even if the car is at home. At night I sleep with the keys not too far from the bedroom; and almost as close as my chainsaw and an antique sword. So they're welcome to play the game. Muwahaha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A long life friend , who is an absolute car nut, popped over to see me last weekend.

He's seen pictures of my car, but on turning up he at first thought I had bought a McLaren lol. He did say the orange immediately tricked him down this route, but goes to show even a car nut gets it wrong sometimes.

• Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I've been told the same by several people but when I changed to "parked off-road" from "garaged" the cost went up on the comparison sites.

Presumably it wouldn't be insured if you moved it from its safety of being on the drive into a locked, alarmed garage.

I was once stopped at a pedestrian crossing in the Evora with both my children in the car and the windows down.

I overheard the women who was crossing, telling her kids to "not look, as that is what he wants!". She obviously couldn't resist and proceeded to look, noticed I was also a parent and ended up smiling and pointing at my kids and showing her children. Made me chuckle.

I overheard the women who was crossing, telling her kids to "not look, as that is what he wants!". 

In psychology, this is known as "projection." She obviously owns a Lambo.

• Like 2

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Just back from a trip to Wexford in Ireland.

Lots of people taking an interest in the car. Almost no one had ever seen one before, there was a small car show on the Saturday and while I was walking around it, I over heard someone saying "There's a Lotus Evora parked at the Hotel, why haven't the organisers gone and found the owner to bring it over".

Funniest reaction was that of the Groom at the wedding we were over for, bear in mind I have never meet him before, I was introduced as we exited the church and was doing the usual "Congratulations, hope you have a wonder life together " etc. etc.

I didn't even get a word out - 

"Ah you own the Lotus don't you, what do I have to do to get a drive in it?"

Spent a good chunk of the weekend taking various people out for blasts along the local back roads, but was totally out done by a  convoy which contained, "2 Jaguar E-Types, an XK140 and a Mark 2 Jaguar". Now they were stunning cars.

Tris...

• Like 1

I just bumped into a friend at a local petrol station. I moved my car to one of their spaces and stood chatting to him. All of a sudden he said "Everyone's looking, I bet you get this all the time?" I hadn't even noticed. Funny how blase you get about the car sometimes.

Filling up at a petrol station at the weekend, went to pay for the fuel and got back to the car and my better half was saying how many people were starring at the evora and taking pictures etc.. She was hidden in the back unnoticed while little one was in his baby seat in the front. People were hanging around to watch it drive off, so sport mode on and a boot full of revs down the road, rude not to really?!?!

• Like 2

This morningthe Station Master at my local station said

"Oh, so you own the Lotus its's lovely.  My wife likes Astons and said humph Lotus, so I brought her down to see your car and she thinks its fantastic"

:)

How many cars encourage people to take their wife into work just to look at one car parked in the car park!

Parked outside restaurant while having a meal out recently. 3 different groups of people stopped to pose with / take pictures of the Evora!

• Like 1

I was meeting a friend on the way to view the Brazil/Chile WC game--parked in a shopping mall garage so we could carpool. I'm in the driver's seat with the a/c on trying to deal with 44C heat. A couple walks by in the next parking aisle in front of me, I don't pay much attention as I'm busy doing important things on my iPhone. Then a few moments later I see something in the side view mirror with my peripheral vision, look up and the dude part of the couple has circled around to the back side of my car and is taking a picture while his girlfriend waits inside their sport utility. I know people take pictures of the car all the time, but that's the first time somebody did it while I was in it. I pretended I didn't see him, man-code style. Candy Crush or Fruit Ninja or something . . . 

Reminds me of the time a motorway patrol car pulled up alongside me when I was parked up in the Esprit in a service station car park. BIB gets out, puts his cap on and asks 'Is this your car Sir'. Er, yes I say rather timidly, trying to remember how fast I'd been going. He says, 'Is it the V8 or the 4 and can I have a sit in it please?' after which he offered his congratulations on owning a great British sports car and went on his way  :huh: 

Not that reminds me of an incident I had years ago with my Audi RS2. I got pulled over by the police and when the officer got out his first questions were is than an Audi RS2 and how does it drive? All I could answer was yes sir and it probably drives too fast.

Unfortunately he did give me the ticket anyway and I ended up taking the bus for a month. :huh:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Lately I drove the alps behind a truck and 3 ordinary cars, curve by curve, veery slowly... So I decided to take over and went throu all of them in a row.. 

10 Minutes later I was stopped by police and picked out. "Somebody called us saying that an idiot drives like hell towards the sky." Well, I said, there was a lorry followed by 3 ducks and nobody switched off aside to le quicker cars pass by. 

Phantastic car, the policeman said, with such a machine it is worth to take over "the ducks". 

• Like 1

Pulled in at Silverstone on Friday behind a newish 911. The guy got out and was all over the Evora. Said it was the first he'd seen. He looked confused after he asked how long I'd had it and I said almost three years. He thought they'd only been out around a year. I asked if he was confusing it with the Exige V6 but he said no. He was all over it.

Saturday morning same place, another 911 at the side of me this time and virtually the same conversation.

Lotus marketing clearly isn't working - with Porsche owners anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Neighbours nephew jaw dropped as I pulled out this morning... Stopped and said hello to my neighbour and she said he hasn't stopped talking about your car since he landed from LA yesterday..

Asked him if he knew what it was... "Sure man is a Loootus Evora" (apologies for the yank accent!).

With shock horror that he knew what he was talking about he earned my time and I agreed with the neighbour to take him out for a quick spin. As soon as I hit about 3500rpm and the Larini did it's stuff he burst out laughing!

I remember a neighbour taking me out in a TVR Griffith when they first came out.. I was about 13 or 14 then about the same age as this chap. Mitchell hit 100mph in his Griffith and I was truly shocked as we were in a 30mph, not advocating busting the law but I will never forget the brutal power of that Rover V8... "One day I will have one" he said "of course you will mate, but they will just be faster" :-)

A big smile and laugh of acknowledgement that "the British sure do know how to make a cool sports car"...

As always many looks and smiles around Hampton Ct, I've got used to it now but you can't underestimate what a special thing the Evora is.

When filling up with petrol today a group of young lads were in awe of the car, when one of the group asked if he could lick the car !!!

At first I thought he had asked if he could nick the car, but upon asking him what he said he definitely wanted to only lick it lol. Made me smile.

Lotus Evora.....good enough to lick !

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

To be honest, I'm still amazed myself whenever I look at my car so I can only begin to imagine how those not lucky enough to even know what it is must feel. At Silverstone over the Classic weekend it attracted loads of viewers but it was clear that an awful lot of people simply do not know what the car is although they know they like it. I caught one group avidly reading the Evora badges on the flanks and then pointed out to them the slightly clearer version on the backside.

Mike S