Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
America's Finest Lotus Collection - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

America's Finest Lotus Collection

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've used up all my forum "memory" on this post and don't have a convenient hosting site so that's all I can post to this thread but I have many more including many rare motorcycle images from this amazing museum.  I would say it's the finest motorcycle museum in the world.  And, I remind y'all that I'm in Nashville, TN, a great place to visit in fall or spring and a short hop to the museum in Birmingham.  We're central to Florida, Alabama and the coastal regions of the south and the music really is on all the time.  And it's good stuff.  So it  can be worth a visit if you're looking for exotic locales in America and have the time.  You know, alligators, rednecks, banjos, gumbo, bar-b-que and all that! 

In October of every year, Barber hosts "Vintage Days." Thousands of motorcyclists ride in.  There are races at the track all weekend, acres of every kind and vintage of bike  to enjoy (many for sale), the museum,  and a party atmosphere.  Camping on the grounds is encouraged or you can take a room as I usually do.  That's the time to come to the mid-south as by mid October, the weather is reliably fine.  Of course, you need to stop in Nashville and visit with us. Nashville is probably the most music-centric city in the country and one of the most cosmopolitan and diverse in the mid-south.  But you don't want to be here mid-summer.  Even we don't want to be here then!  But you're welcome anytime of year and if you have a  good forum rep and have at least a minimum number of letter (a lonely L will do), you can stay with us!  The south is hospitable in a way only a 19th Century attitude can support!  And don't worry about the gun owners.  We'll lend you one to defend yourself!  :D 

• Like 2

'17 Evora 400 MT 

I'm so glad you're all enjoying this and as I haven't responded to each post, please think of this as a group hug!

It would be such fun for me to visit the factory in Hethel but it's as far away from me as Barber is to all of you.  I've been to England a few times and there's every reason to believe I may do so again.  In my trips I never thought to visit Lotus probably because it never dawned on me  that some day I'd  buy a new Lotus.  Now I have a mission to visit the factory when we one day make it back to England. Something we always enjoy.  

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

• Like 2

'17 Evora 400 MT 

6 hours ago, Loquacious Lew said:

Now I have a mission to visit the factory when we one day make it back to England.

Let me know when and I'll make that happen for you :)

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

There are cars in that collection which I don't even recognise. When I was small I lived in the NT of Australia. Car racing was not on our TV (recorded) or the ABC radio.

I always liked the Esprit because of the TSWLM and only ever saw one in the flesh in about 1990. I'm not even the full bottle on the models since my S4.

Actually, I just thought about that. Is anyone the full bottle on the lineup? :P 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Just one bike to suggest the depth of the collection.  They have two of the four extent Porcupines and not one, but two Brittens.  Unfortunately, my bike photos are on another computer that is currently not to hand. I concentrated on the Lotus collection on my last visit but there's always another time!

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

And thanks, Bibs. Don't be the least surprised if we take you up on that offer one of these days!

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

Of course, Steve. I have them on another computer and will need to recover them.  Give me a day or two and I'll add to this as I dig them up.  All the images on this page were taken about six weeks ago at my last visit.  The bikes are from a previous visit and on another  drive.  I'll get cracking on it.  

These were all taken with an iPhone 6 so you get a sense for how well the displays are lit.  The most basic skills and equipment can result in acceptable photos because the museum is so adept at setting up their displays. 

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT 

Thanks for posting these, Lew.  It's a few years since I've been to Barber.  They had a few Lotus on display then but nothing like as many as you've shown us but I can vouch for the museum.  The setting is great and the displays really well thought out and well lit.  You can get a direct flight from London to Atlanta and it's not too long a drive from there, if my memory serves me well.  Th track is worth taking a look at as well with its giant insect scupltures.  Not your normal racetrack at all.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I’ve been lucky enough to visit Barber on many occasions and can’t speak highly enough of the venue.  Last year it opened an extension and has a glass bridge going over the track.  Also look out for Mr.Barber, a really lovely unassuming gentleman who loves to have a chat....and a keen Lotus man.  He has a wonderful home that overlooks the city of Birmingham with a real Ferrari F1 hanging on the wall.........

• Like 1

Indeed, Steve.  A machine that failed to meet its potential on track but certainly does now in respect to rarity value! Look at those quills! As a wall hanger, I would have either but if I recall, there was a point in time (I think since surpassed) that an AJS Porcupine was the most expensive motorcycle ever sold at auction.  I'd need to do a bit of googling to confirm that, but however you slice it, the Porker is a fabulously rare and valueable artifact.  To have two of them is the definition of obsessed!

*The hard drive I had to extract them from refused to cooperate  last night so I googled up my own images as I had posted them to another forum previously.  I had to grab my own pictures from off of the net!  That felt bizarre....and I'm feeling silly  for never having backed them up!  

• Like 1

'17 Evora 400 MT