Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Supercharger rattle and car feels slower? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Supercharger rattle and car feels slower?

Hi Gents,

I purchased an Exige V6s very recently and overall I am loving the car.

However, i went out yesterday and the car felt slower than it did originally.  I took the car out again today and again the car didn't feel as silly quick  as it did over the weekend and I noticed some noise coming from the engine bay that I hadn't heard originally.  There seems to be some non-supercharger whistling and some supercharger rattle.

When I got home I opened the engine cover to have a look and the supercharger sounds like a bag of spanners at idle.  Can anyone report whether this is normal or not?

Car is still in Warranty and is due to go back to Silverstone in a couple of weeks for some work that couldn't be completed prior to sale.  There are no fault codes on the dash to speak of.

Grateful for any help you can give.  

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Michael. :welcome:

You should show us some pictures of your car. I would say that something has gone wrong in the supercharger. They should not make a noise other than the obligatory whistle that they make. Have not heard of anyone else having this issue. I would definitely be letting Silverstone know about the issue ASAP so it is recorded with them.

You should also go over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Welcome. It's not the first time this issue has been reported.

Disheartening for you of course, but don't worry, your warranty should cover it. Fingers crossed Silverstone will resolve it quickly. 

It is definitely not a normal noise and it won’t get better on its own. 

I’d ask silverstone to collect the car on a trailer. They will be able to tell you what the issue is, fix it and hopefully you won’t have a bill. 

Sorry to hear about your plight. If the internals disintergrate the shrapnel is only going to go in one direction. Sound advice to get it picked up. 

Best of luck with the repair.

Mark

Had a similar noise on one of my previous cars and raised it with Silverstone, who got a Lotus engineer out.  They recognised it didn't sound like other cars and was coming from supercharger, but refused to sort it under  warranty.  wasn't impressed at the time .  hope you have a better outcome 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

As identified by the lotus engineer it was the super charger but they felt it didn't need repairing.   Must admit it wasn't losing any power,  just sounded as per video at tick over , especially when hot

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I though so, Guglielmi Motorsport has my car right now, he said maybe there is a service for the supercharger, as it has its own oil system and so on .. 

Edited by chumaxa

• 5 years later...
  • Gold FFM

I thought about this a bit and you may get some rattles from the gears that drive the rotors, but it would only be at idle and would be really intermittent. It would be from the backlash in the gears.

However, it should have always been there. It shouldn't 'develop' a noise.

Get in contact with Eaton and show them the video. Nothing like going back to the manufacturer.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)