Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Roads on the Isle of Wight - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Roads on the Isle of Wight

Nathan Pitman

So I’m taking my GF for a few days away on the Isle of Wight in the summer and wondered if there are any notable roads worth traversing while we are there. 

Is there a record for lapping the Island???

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unfortunately my Evora is not ‘bond’ spec so has no outboard motor. 

The Military Road along the south side of the island is well worth a drive. There's a fantastic viewpoint just above Blackgang Chine where you can look right along the island down to the Needles. From there it's a nice fast drive down to Freshwater Bay with some lovely coastal views along parts of the way.

The Downs Road from Brading to the Hare & Hounds is also spectacular. Up, down and bendy and high up so you get glimpses of the mainland on one side and a panoramic view of Sandown Bay on the other. Another fab viewpoint towards the Brading end.

Plenty of country lanes criss crossing the island, which are lovely to drive too. Only a mile of dual carriageway though and most of that is 40 limit now I think!

It's a lovely place. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

The Military Road along the south side of the island is well worth a drive. There's a fantastic viewpoint just above Blackgang Chine where you can look right along the island down to the Needles.

Yea I read online that this was a rocket testing base in the 50’s and 60’s!

• Gold FFM

Some good roads. My only caution is that they seem happy with a some pretty steep gradients and i managed to clip the front bumper of my Golf a few times, which never happened on the mainland at the time. (this was 4 years ago)

Did the island in my E400 and enjoyed it,  no idea where I was half the time mind you ;)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

9 hours ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Yea I read online that this was a rocket testing base in the 50’s and 60’s!

Yes, I think they tested rockets from the Needles Old Battery. 

There's free parking at the Needles pleasure park and an opportunity to get a photo of your car with the Needles in the background I think.

as @DJW said, it's a lovely place with some good driving roads but sometimes you're just between hedges and thinking 'I wonder where this road comes out'...

Culver Down is the best view on the island in my opinion. It is on the far east coast. There is a monument on the cliff top. There is a pub up there. You can see Portsmouth, right across the Solent and then in the other direction Sandown and Shanklin. On a nice day it is just beautiful 

Yes, +1 for Culver Down, great views and cracking spot for a picnic or evening barbie. You can park on the grass overlooking Sandown Bay.

It's  the Yarborough monument up there. There's a pub up there too, The Culver Haven but it's never been great when I've been in. A few years ago now so it might have improved. There's always the coastguard hut tea counter if you're after something more casual..😐