Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Lotus Elite simple guide to brake drum removal - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Elite simple guide to brake drum removal

I think it does, although I'm still unclear what role then the adjustability in the flexible mounting strap is for.

It sounds like from what you're saying once I adjust the non self adjusting side then the handbrake cable should tighten up and modernity should go down quite significantly. Will try it out this weekend.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannot source the oversize wheel cylinders assume people are fitting those with smaller pistons . My pistons just had some surface rust on the stainless and some 600 grit sandpaper lightly on it and inside cylinder has meant it moves freely. Have cleaned thoroughly with brake fluid . Sj rtscars had new seals  which i will fit and reassemble. Avoids removing cylinder potential diff etc. Worth a try , seems like this was a common repair method in the old garage days. If it doesn’t work i will see the leak and just be out time some brake fluid and £8 for the seals. I will update 

Just about to put back brake shoes luckily I put a sheet of paper under the work area, something dropped a small H shape piece of metal. I think it comes from brakeshoe and I have inserted it, pic attached. Workshop manual not clear assume it strengthens contact to lever evenly. Anyone confirm thanks

FEF5C2EC-2064-47F4-B8A6-3EF8EE447FCE.jpeg

• Gold FFM

Yep Rob, thats exactly where it goes. You would be surprised how many are missing then people wonder why they are difficult to get adjusted and shoes slipping.

Thanks John , more by luck than judgement could easily have lost it. Putting shoes on they spring outwards then slipping right out of position , then i start again. Obviously  the pins / spring retainers will hold them if I can keep shoes from falling down. Havnt succeeded yet in getting them seated in place first. Is this just a tricky business or is there a correct order of fitting shoes. Mind you havnt tried with the H part in the shoe that may help stopping shoes springing outwards.

Brake shoes fit easily if you put retaining pin in one side first . Hopefully final problem to solve , Does the lever pins sit in front of the cylinder two prongs  or slide on top of it . Pic attached showing pins in front of cylinder prongs .If only had taken a pic beforehand.

149DBA18-CB4E-4787-B332-F16456C49249.jpeg

0E1B4A90-3D86-4EB6-8BB3-9A5D8A448E3F.jpeg

Edited by Robbie
Another pic

Re post 10th august can anyone remember where the handbrake lever sits in relation  to the cylinder. Above photo post shows lever pins which stick out each side  in front of cylinder  prongs. If I pull the  leaver out further  I can get the pins to sit on top of the cylinder prongs. Neither feel right and I suspect the cylinder needs to be reseated or the lever is bent. However just knowing pins  on top of  prongs of cylinder or in front would help. The cylinder does slide to and throu and has some lateral movement.

The cable adjusters I know are difficult to access but on the off chance is there any further release of overall tension at the handbrake lever (in car) ratchet even when off ,which could reset tension to allow work on drums  I know some some cars can.

Thanks rob.

• 3 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this topic but the rear brake pistons were seized on after 15 yrs parked part of it outside. I finally got the drums off with crowbar etc but I found one of the H section spacers but not on the other side. I assume they just act as a sacrificial pad for the parking brake lever to act against. Guess I will have to make one before reassembling?

Hopefully I can free the pistons using WD40 without them leaking. Does anyone know what car or cars they may have been fitted too?

Thanks

Ivan W

9DF0E530-7203-486D-BF18-014AE6181011.jpeg

Edited by Ivan Wood

You can still buy the wheel cylinders new but the only ones ever available are the ones which were fitted to the automatic with a diameter of 3/4".  The manual cars were 7/8".  Not sure why.  Not sure you'd notice any difference in normal running.  

The little H-shaped bit does indeed act as a pressure pad - easy to fabricate.

Does the diff seem oil-tight at the output shaft seals?  Any oil leakage may quickly ruin new brake shoes.

Pete