Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
LED headlights.. - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

LED headlights..

3 hours ago, nordschleife666 said:

@hamks18psigreat, the 85mm diameter cap fits ok?  What's the depth size of the cap I should get? 

Yes 85mm diameter but they dont look exactly round shape. After put it on, then it works fine.

The depth from the seller description was 68mm but actually just about 61-62mm, I thought they would fail to fit.
In the end, I managed it well. Not sure whether the cap would fall off or not in long term, need to test for a while.
I believe the top back of wheelarch would stop the dust cap falling.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After road test at nightm, I found the IPF headlights are not bright as I thought, and they are too fused, while high/main beam aftermarket are fine. Then I have checked the LED facing position then figured out why. I have found that our headlight housing is not designed for LED directional, so the flange made my IPF LED light at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position, which is wrong. After today adjustment, LED are facing 9o'clock and 3 o'clock, then everything works well. They are so bright! I am very happy to say I got what I paid for.

Before and After pics are attachedGOPR1070.JPG.b76dc1d881ed5cca18a6d1ae904e5019.JPG

20210402_205226.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hamks18psi said:

If you click on page 2, you would see that I bought IPF HB3 LED which has integrated driver and fan, from Japan, where I got the info from another member @nordschleife666

Then I bought aftermarket dust cap, so everything is covered by the dust cover.

Which one did you buy?? Did you buy it on eBay??

This is very challenging part, because I have tried two set from eBay, and those seller keep saying "0.5-1 inch" difference from their description, so it is really difficult like trial and error games,

In two set I purchased, one of them are not suitable. The suitable one is from UK eBayer seller. However, I MUST SAY that the depth is just ok for IPF, it is not easy to push the dust cap fully, but 1/3 to 1/2 around the edge, I need to keep pushing and turning clockwise to keep the rubber cap feel tight (not 100% tight) to the light house. If the depth can be longer few more mm, it would be perfect.

If you want to buy, please help email this eBay seller and tell them his product can be great to Lotus community LED light upgrade. Thanks! 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-85mm-Inner-Diameter-Rubber-Housing-Seal-Cap-Dust-Cover-Fits-LED-HID-Headlight/333858168185

Thank you :), sadly I'm going to have to try with another seller as this one does not ship to Spain

What did you do to adapt the spades connectors of the main bean bulb to the new ones ??

Regatds 

If you click on page 2 , scroll down to bottom, you would see how I did it.

I bought something like this, then used plier to lightly press the factory female spade termial, then push the adapter with male spade terminal into it to secure.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-H11-H8-Wiring-Harness-female-Socket-Wire-Connector-Plug-Extension-PigtaW9H/333919116987

• 1 month later...
On 04/04/2021 at 19:12, cuprapw said:

Thank you :), sadly I'm going to have to try with another seller as this one does not ship to Spain

What did you do to adapt the spades connectors of the main bean bulb to the new ones ??

Regatds 

Hi Daniel,

You said it was hard to push the dust cap in fully, does it mean a slight larger diameter or a slightly smaller diameter one would be better?  Or it has not enough depth ?

• 2 months later...

Hi all, hope everyone is well.

Bump...to resurrect this old thread once more. I was out in some windy roads at dusk yesterday evening and I must concur that the OEM headlights are rather poor!

Ideally, I'd like to go down the plug and play route in replacing the OEM headlights with something that gives a bit more brightness, which I think may mean white halogens as it would appear the LEDs will require work to get them installed (whilst recognising that LEDs are going to give the brightest light). Has anyone found anything they'd recommend?

• 2 weeks later...

Added comment:

Sorry to bang on about this guys. Been looking into options and have spoken to a number of bulb manufacturers and body shops. It would otherwise appear that retro fitting HIDs are not road legal and that the same applies to LEDs due to a lack of legislation/LED bulbs cannot be marked as 'E'/have British Standard mark as a result. Apparently this is all down to the fact that  headlamps designed for halogens, should not house any bulb other than halogens. Is this your understanding too?

If halogens are the only road legal/will pass MOT option, then the choice seems rather limited. Having looked around for halogen replacements (ideally emitting a whiter and brighter light than the stock Sylvania ones), bulbs from Osram and Phillips pop up. HIDS-Direct offer a HB3a (which @MAGtested ), though I'm struggling to find anything else. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Interesting....

Would you mind advising which model of HB3 from Twenty20 you went with please @MAGas can see a few variants on their website.

I'm not as handy as yourself and so thinking I may go with the halogens from HIDS-Direct that you tested. I think I'll be content with a slightly brighter and whiter light when compared with OEM, rather than the whole hog with LEDs.

• 3 weeks later...

I also did an LED upgrade earlier in the summer.  It's transformed the headlights and made the car much safer to drive at night.

I used these bulbs which are quite a bit cheaper than the Philips Ultinon Pros (but maybe won't last as long?): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MGQ4QVS/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_B7JHQWQSCPZMQAV30EJV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm afraid I don't have before and after pics, but the effects are very noticeable and definitely worth it imo.  Just make sure the LEDs are oriented correctly (3 o'clock and 9 o'clock).

• 1 month later...
On 02/04/2021 at 22:47, hamks18psi said:

After road test at nightm, I found the IPF headlights are not bright as I thought, and they are too fused, while high/main beam aftermarket are fine. Then I have checked the LED facing position then figured out why. I have found that our headlight housing is not designed for LED directional, so the flange made my IPF LED light at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position, which is wrong. After today adjustment, LED are facing 9o'clock and 3 o'clock, then everything works well. They are so bright! I am very happy to say I got what I paid for.

Before and After pics are attachedGOPR1070.JPG.b76dc1d881ed5cca18a6d1ae904e5019.JPG

20210402_205226.jpg

What was the adjustment you made?

Referencing this comment:-

After today adjustment, LED are facing 9o'clock and 3 o'clock, then everything works well.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2021 at 09:45, Paul_D said:

If anybody is thinking about an LED upgrade, I've just done a short write up on the Philips Ultinon Pro 9000 bulbs. 

Hi Paul, what tool did you use to change the orientation of the bulb please? Thanks

There is a small allen headed screw either side of the bulb, which locates in the plastic 'teeth' around the holder.

Use a small allen key to screw those inwards, and you will be able to rotate the bulb in relation to the holder. Because of the way the teeth align, you won't get perfectly 90 degrees rotation, but its close enough.

Adjustment.jpg