Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New cambelt rubbing - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

New cambelt rubbing

Steve4012

Hi all. I've noticed a mark on my new cambelt that looks like it is rubbing against something on the inner edge toward engine (see pics). I've checked the clearance of the upper snubber on inlet cam pulley and it's fine. I know there is another snubber on the tensioner but can't remember if this was adjustable or not... I didn't think it was. Can someone advise please, it's the one circled. Many thanks, Steve. 

rps20181126_165303.jpg

rps20181126_165558.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Gotti. 

1 hour ago, Gotti said:

Ther are only shims between the snubber and tensioner.

Would these have an influence on the gap between snubber and belt? I'll have to try and get in there and measure the gap. Apart from the snubbers I can't see what else could rub the belt. 

10 hours ago, Steve4012 said:

Hi Gotti. 

Would these have an influence on the gap between snubber and belt? I'll have to try and get in there and measure the gap. Apart from the snubbers I can't see what else could rub the belt. 

No Steve.Look on deroure.com.Its part no.041 what i mean.

8 hours ago, gvy said:

I had a worn "hing" bolt thing ( exuse my english🙄) from my alternator rubbing the brand new belt. Happy I noticed it on time. Small repair and all fine.

I had the alternator hinge bracket split & tub a groove down the middle of the belt of an S3, like Geert I spotted it & replaced both belt & alternator before any harm was done.😀

If the tensioner was just "rebuilt" that's what I'd be looking at. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

The auxiliary pulley snubber is adjustable. It moves within the bolt holes. It should be adjusted to 0.4 mm (Service notes section EA. 9).

That makes sense.The same happens with my auxiliary housing.There was a little play within the holes.We had to align the aux. housing to match with the other pulleys.So it should be an easy job...

That's really helpful, thanks for all your replies. I'll start with the tensioner/ snubber area and check on any tweaks with a chalk mark across the belt to indicate whether I've been successful or not.