Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Help design my livery for Carl the Exige - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Help design my livery for Carl the Exige

Hey guys and gals!

Having watched Gumball a while back I've been wanting to splash my car in a livery of some sort, but something classy!

I posted on the Exige owners group on FB but figured some of you might not have or like FB. 

The plan is to design a livery that is simple and any wrapper can install with minimal to no dismantling of my car. The only critera I have is that is must be mostly orange ( my cars colour ) to help reduce the cost and complexity of the wrap. I wanted to smother the car in "sponsors" but obviously I'm not sponsored so they're just decals. They would ideally be for brands found on the car, or associated with Lotus - think AP Racing instead of Brembo for example, and Pro Drive as they do the carbon if I'm not mistaken.

I'll post some ROUGH images, taken from a quick look on Forza 7, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get to play with the designs and see. 

Can anyone recommend a vinyl company in the south that are competent and fairly priced? 

Any help or criticisms are welcome, after all it is the internet! 

N.B - the Exedy car would be flipped, so white/blue top would be orange and orange bottom would be black, and the 69 Sandtler car would obviously have a solid black rear end.

The Oakley car idea would be possibly a solid black rear end, fading into the pattern as you go forwards, stopping as the window starts

20190109_005452.jpg

Screenshot_20190109-004330_WhatsApp.jpg

20190109_005417.jpg

20190109_005444.jpg

20190109_005400.jpg

18 minutes ago, vd9 said:

I think you may be interested in this topic as well - good taste guide. No judgement. :stuart: 

I've already replied to that topic, and have tyre writing on my P zeros currently. Giant headache trying to explain to tyre places that I want the tyres, but I want to take them home to do the writing them bring back. They dont understand!

Agree with bibs, it’s a bit civic crew unless it’s a real race car! They tend to cover their cars in stickers for no reason. 

however I do like the moustache, I think I will add one to mine for Movember.

I would say save your money, spend it on getting some race grade brake fluid into the car, book a track day and get either David pittard or jack layton to spend a day teaching you how to drive properly.

😀

It's alright, not to everyone's taste but being stickers its easily reversible! 

I like it, even the mrs likes it, but we'll see. Forza is hugely limiting for me and designs so I'm going to have to find google images of various things and hope for the best.

The moustache is universally liked though hahha every race car has a quirky thing.

9 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

My mum tells me if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  I'm not very good at taking her advice, but on this occasion I will.

Fair play hahaha I won't be offended if it was constructive, not just "that's shit" 😂

9 hours ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

First concept bashed out tonight. Tried to keep to Lotus themed sponsors, or products I personally rate. Any criticism is welcome, I feel any random black added almost takes away from the design, what do yo think? 

20190110_012632.jpg

20190110_012606.jpg

Cool! A shopping list, can you add bread and milk to it I think we're running low.

As others have said, unless its a race/time trial car, it looks a bit, Fast and Furious . It would be better starting with an actual livery (as a wrap), then throwing a load of stickers over it. At the moment it just looks like a bunch of random sticker slapped on.

If you are determined to do it, look towards Mclaren GT livery such as:

preview-jpg.194314

Or

0000ae6d4dcc-cb91-4699-b.jpg?mode=max&qu

But it's your car, if it makes you happy and you can stand telling people you don't actually race, then crack on.

12 minutes ago, MrP_ said:

Cool! A shopping list, can you add bread and milk to it I think we're running low.

As others have said, unless its a race/time trial car, it looks a bit, Fast and Furious . It would be better starting with an actual livery (as a wrap), then throwing a load of stickers over it. At the moment it just looks like a bunch of random sticker slapped on.

I figured I'd see what it looked like with all the decals in place then add the wrap ( it's easy with a layer system ) I thought it looked alright but clearly I was wrong hahaha luckily its just a concept and easy to change with ideas. 

But you are right though, we do need milk

0436217e94df0c3e9371736235782618.jpg

3 minutes ago, vd9 said:

This came in from Alastair @BatMobile a few posts earlier. :dizzy:

I didn't say it was shit, just that there were better things to put his money towards.  :) same same but different you see. 

I think he is referring to George's wonderfully blunt opinion on the thread about making your wheels have white writing - the OP has that done too you see. 

• Like 1

I actually quite like the white writing on the right car :sofa:

It might be good to start with stripes and then layer up, adding little by little. An off centre twin black stripe - one thick and one thin would look great. 

I had thought of stripes, but sadly my dad's mustang has stripes and I don't want to have matching cars!

4 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

I actually quite like the white writing on the right car :sofa:

It might be good to start with stripes and then layer up, adding little by little. An off centre twin black stripe - one thick and one thin would look great. 

24 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

I didn't say it was shit

Exactly, I was referring to your post as "constructive,..." :thumbup:

In fact doing some trackdays over the winter may be not a bad idea - costs are low to book, slippery conditions will be gentle on the tires and brakes (DPM would have to be off), while also not letting to get to silly speeds and giving plenty of opportunities to play with the car's balance. I'm almost convinced by now I should try and get some booked.

Edited by vd9
  • Like 1

I've taken your ideas on board, and tried to mash it together a bit better. Sponsors are now black where possible which made a big difference, and I've added mclaren style black/white. I've tried to design it so its easier to wrap, note how the window surrounds are left orange so they won't look odd without a roof and saves wrapping them! I'm trying to use natural edges so the design flows better. Unfortunately I can't make the gloss black into matt black, game won't let me - but I quite like it!

Does this look less chavvy now lads?

20190110_175143.jpg

20190110_175130.jpg

Sorry, but that looks horrific. Only my opinion of course. Why would you want to stick all those stickers on a car that has no relevance to it in any way?

whats next, rally lights ?! 😂🤪

each to their own. If you like it go for it 

Edited by Edinburgh 111s

10 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Sorry, but that looks horrific. Only my opinion of course. Why would you want to stick all those stickers on a car that has no relevance to it in any way?

whats next, rally lights ?! 😂🤪

each to their own. If you like it go for it 

No problem, your opinion is allowed, but only because of the rally lights joke 😂

I tried to keep the stickers Lotus themed, but I'm limited by my tools and don't fancy designing every logo myself as there is no font tool, so all the letters are a pain to do. 

A lot of this was to see if sticker placements worked rather than their actual design - but using designs I liked helped a lot too.

For reference, these to me are relevant to Lotus

Quaife

Nitron

Clarion (sadly)

Bosch (they do the DPM/TC right?)

Momo

Ohlins

AP Racing

Recaro

Pro drive (do OEM carbon I believe)

Schroth harnesses

Bp Ultimate, cause lets face it, Shell is an ugly logo

Lastly Michelin, because Pirelli sucks. 

• Like 1

I think a few more stickers are needed...

WRC & Subaru (because they’re involved in ProDrive right?)

FastCar 

Durex

... joking aside each to their own... we’re all different but I think adding the sponsor stickers just takes it too far.

www.alias23.com

• 3 weeks later...

If your going to have sponsor names maybe do funny versions of the word that look similar, at least then it looks a bit less fake racer and more of a humorous p*ss take.

To get the ball rolling see the pictures below.

Martin S

logoparodies.jpg

What-They-Should-Be-Called1.jpg

Edited by MARTIN_S
added an extra picture
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

If your going to have sponsor names maybe do funny versions of the word that look similar, at least then it looks a bit less fake racer and more of a humorous p*ss take.

To get the ball rolling see the pictures below.

Martin S

logoparodies.jpg

What-They-Should-Be-Called1.jpg

Reminds me of the DDE R8. Has Ferrari badges, and lambo badges on it hahaha

I'm not sure I could rock those, probably feel even more tacky