Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Alpine INE-W990BT USB dead. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Alpine INE-W990BT USB dead.

I've looked hard but I've failed to find any info about this - the USB connection on my Alpine INE-W990BT seems to be dead.

Any iPhone I plug in isn't recognised by the headunit and the phone doesn't charge. I've had the headunit out to check the USB connection at the back, and it's all plugged in OK. I plugged an Apple cable straight into the headunit and still no joy, so it's looking like a software issue. Strange... It was fine up until a day or so ago. I'm wondering if the cause is that my iPhone may have updated automatically and now no longer plays nicely with Alpine.

So my next thought is to try a firmware update and/or a factory reset, but does anyone know if that's a bad idea? Will my reversing camera setup and 'Evora 400' startup logo get trashed? Has anyone else with a INE-W990BT had their USB connectivity die?

On my early Alpine unit the usb connection has died. I now just use the BT for both music and phone connection. 

There is an error message that occasionally comes up if I try the usb, can't quite remember it but something about no driver found.  I haven't tried any firmware reboot, but did search for an update, but failed to find anything.

Thanks @Bruss. Has anyone flashed the firmware on the Alpine INE-W990BT? Does it create more problems than it's worth or do Alpine do a decent job of elegantly maintaining user settings, for instance for the rear view camera?

I updated the firmware on my INE-W990BT just after I got the car and don't remember it causing any problems.  I think it did loose some settings, but nothing that couldn't be reconfigured easily enough through the UI.  It takes a little while for the update to run, so don't start it when you're planning to go out somewhere.

I've since replaced mine with a Pioneer head unit, and it's sitting in a box at home.  Was fully functioning when I took it out a couple of months ago, and would be happy to sell it at the going rate if a firmware update doesn't fix your problem (ebay probably a good place to find the going rate?).

Also worth mentioning that the main harness plug for the INE-W990BT looks to be identical to the IVA-W505R I took out of my previous N/A, so they should be a good candidate for an easy upgrade on the earlier cars.

Thanks @nigelh. My Evora is under Lotus warranty 'till April, so I'm going to see what Lotus says first. I tried a firmware update yesterday, but the headunit failed to detect the USB drive. Something screwy definitely going on. 🤔

Try a factory reset. My 920r unit lost the reversing camera last summer while on holiday. Thought I was going to have to pull the unit and look for a loose connection but tried a factory reset first. That sorted the issue. No adverse affects to settings.

13 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Try a factory reset. My 920r unit lost the reversing camera last summer while on holiday. Thought I was going to have to pull the unit and look for a loose connection but tried a factory reset first. That sorted the issue. No adverse affects to settings.

Interesting... I shied away from hitting the factory reset button due to fear of creating a tedious job of setting everything up again. But maybe that's worth a go. Thanks @100th_Idiot.

• 2 months later...

Can someone advise where the factory reset button can be found? My ipod connection/USB has frozen while disconnecting and the only solution I can think of is the IT classic 'turn it off and on'... 

Thanks @Bibs There's a remote control sensor - who knew! 

I want to try to update the firmware as well