Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
2bular, is it a crappy exhaust? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

2bular, is it a crappy exhaust?

Hi Gekko

Good to know that your exige is back on track

I would like to know who tuned your ecu and if they could raise the oem rev limiter and also I don t seem to find anything about that new exhaust brand on internet any link?

Please send me a message if you go at the Tazio Nuvolari race track as I would like to see your car.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The 2GR-FE will not survive a higher redline .. the Lotus MS and even Lotus Cup racing programs have proved this.  The VVT -i system limits. 

6 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

Hi Gekko

Good to know that your exige is back on track

I would like to know who tuned your ecu and if they could raise the oem rev limiter and also I don t seem to find anything about that new exhaust brand on internet any link?

Please send me a message if you go at the Tazio Nuvolari race track as I would like to see your car.

Hi Maxi,

My car has been tuned by Lotus Cerini at Castelletto Ticino .

Recently , following complaints from some 380 owner about the Rpm limit, Lotus has released an upgrade to take it to 7k rpm, as you know 380 and Cup stop at 6700.

HRT, as you remember was an F1 team, they don't make any advertisement on the Internet , a friend of mine has connections with them .

I don't like Cervesina , I prefer Cremona  longer straight and more twisty , if you like I can drop you a message when I'll go there .

4 hours ago, Julian73 said:

The 2GR-FE will not survive a higher redline .. the Lotus MS and even Lotus Cup racing programs have proved this.  The VVT -i system limits. 

Hi Julian,

As written up above Lotus released an upgrade to raise the rpm limit to 7k, if I'm not mistaken the 350 sport arrives at 7k normal mode and 7,2 in sport or track.

3 hours ago, Gekko the great said:

Hi Maxi,

My car has been tuned by Lotus Cerini at Castelletto Ticino .

Recently , following complaints from some 380 owner about the Rpm limit, Lotus has released an upgrade to take it to 7k rpm, as you know 380 and Cup stop at 6700.

HRT, as you remember was an F1 team, they don't make any advertisement on the Internet , a friend of mine has connections with them .

I don't like Cervesina , I prefer Cremona  longer straight and more twisty , if you like I can drop you a message when I'll go there .

Hi Julian,

As written up above Lotus released an upgrade to raise the rpm limit to 7k, if I'm not mistaken the 350 sport arrives at 7k normal mode and 7,2 in sport or track.

What do you mean by upgrade? So the Lotus dealer can increase the RPM limit of my cup to 7K with a software update?

Same question Gekko so you are saying that when you bring a 380 to the dealer for service they can load the softare update and get the rev limiter at around 7000 rpm?

Would you recommend Cerini to do this and are they usually quick and good to deal with?

I would like to see the Cremona Circuit so yes let me know by message when you go there.

Cervesina is I agree a bit twisty and might not be the best for the manual gearbox and destroy the front left tyre quickly but still I like it as it s still technical and fun and you can often be there either with almost no other cars on the track or with nice cars.

Let us see pictures of the exhaust

Re ROMlimits on 380just been to KOMO-TEC for an upgrade. I was reliably told that Toyota modified the valve train for emission purposes. Thus the reduced red line . Even after my upgrade I was told DONT hold the car on the limit. 

I suspect the earlier cars have a better/stronger valve train and can take the higher RPM . My 380 is now 7000 rpm. However with the extra grunt you probably don’t need the extra 200 rpm.

cheers

Mark

7 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Re ROMlimits on 380just been to KOMO-TEC for an upgrade. I was reliably told that Toyota modified the valve train for emission purposes. Thus the reduced red line . Even after my upgrade I was told DONT hold the car on the limit. 

I suspect the earlier cars have a better/stronger valve train and can take the higher RPM . My 380 is now 7000 rpm. However with the extra grunt you probably don’t need the extra 200 rpm.

cheers

Mark

I also think that something was modified on the later engines from toyota but still no one want to say what are the modified parts or settings and if those parts could be replaced or adjusted with older ones or aftermarket ones.

Also many lotus tuners seem to think that the standard pistons are let s say ok if there is no detonation at all but a weak point if there is any detonation and that even on a standard car is a nice to have upgrade if the car is mostly used on track.

Also the oem restrictive and fragile catalyzers and the heat from them is not to good as well as the extra heated air from the 1320 compressor spinning faster on a 380.

The 430 is already better as the air is cooled even if many things are the same.

Mark

What Komotec kit did they fit on your car? EX390 or EX430? Are you still using the oem airbox or Komotec one?

Gekko

I spoke with Cerini today and they really sound very nice and competent

I wanted to go there to upgrade the software but in fact we found out that I already have the latest version that do not go to exactly 7000rpm but higher than the older version stil at maybe around 6850 rpm

Thanks

12 hours ago, mark248am said:

What do you mean by upgrade? So the Lotus dealer can increase the RPM limit of my cup to 7K with a software update?

Yep, as stated before some Swiss customers complained as their 380 s stalled at 6700 rpm.

Lotus sent to the dealer an ECU update to raise the rpm limit to 7000. 350 sport has the same engine so it was a nonsense to stop the limit at 6700. Apply to you dealer   he will confirm this 

9 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

Same question Gekko so you are saying that when you bring a 380 to the dealer for service they can load the softare update and get the rev limiter at around 7000 rpm?

Would you recommend Cerini to do this and are they usually quick and good to deal with?

I would like to see the Cremona Circuit so yes let me know by message when you go there.

Cervesina is I agree a bit twisty and might not be the best for the manual gearbox and destroy the front left tyre quickly but still I like it as it s still technical and fun and you can often be there either with almost no other cars on the track or with nice cars.

Let us see pictures of the exhaust

Hi Maxi

There's no need to wait the service to get the ECU update , you can have it anytime. 

Cerini takes care of my car since he sold it and followed me with the mods I did. To be honest I still didn't get the ECU update  but I can recommend this dealer , they're reliable , serious , they sell lotus since 2004

37 minutes ago, Maxi_z said:

I also think that something was modified on the later engines from toyota but still no one want to say what are the modified parts or settings and if those parts could be replaced or adjusted with older ones or aftermarket ones.

Also many lotus tuners seem to think that the standard pistons are let s say ok if there is no detonation at all but a weak point if there is any detonation and that even on a standard car is a nice to have upgrade if the car is mostly used on track.

Also the oem restrictive and fragile catalyzers and the heat from them is not to good as well as the extra heated air from the 1320 compressor spinning faster on a 380.

The 430 is already better as the air is cooled even if many things are the same.

Mark

What Komotec kit did they fit on your car? EX390 or EX430? Are you still using the oem airbox or Komotec one?

Gekko

I wanted to go there to upgrade the software but in fact we found out that I already have the latest version that do not go to exactly 7000rpm but higher than the older version stil at maybe around 6850 rpm

Thanks

Happy to have been useful 

1 hour ago, Maxi_z said:

Mark

Gekko

Thanks

Hi, Fitted the 2bular EPK kit and did a 460 upgrade.  Speak with Daniel at Komotec and he will explain the differences between the 350 and 380, engine and ECU. It’s an interesting story. If you go on Derore you can see the differences by looking at the part numbers.

cheers

Mark

27 minutes ago, mark248am said:

Interesting but not sure I'll have them raise my RPM limit to 7000 since an engine already blew with me previously (Exige V6s) and would rather have the lower 6700 limit if it means it will last longer.

Hi Mark,

This ECU update has been released by Lotus itself so I imagine it has been investigated,  tested and validated 

This I a chat I had with Lotus last January,  I think this can help 😀

Screenshot_20190223-095130_Instagram.jpg

5 hours ago, Dan.G said:

Can anyone confirm the limiter being raised to 7000 on the 380, officially by lotus?? I've just had my first service and was not made aware of this? Is this in keeping with the lotus warranty?

@Hangar 111

@Bibs

I called a dealer in Italy and I could supply them the ecu software number that was on my car already and they replied that it was already the latest version

They suggested that the latest version would not rev to 7000 rpm but a little more than the older version at around 6850 rpm but don t know if Gekko got some different info about it or there is an even newer software version

14 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Hi, Fitted the 2bular EPK kit and did a 460 upgrade.  Speak with Daniel at Komotec and he will explain the differences between the 350 and 380, engine and ECU. It’s an interesting story. If you go on Derore you can see the differences by looking at the part numbers.

cheers

Mark

Do you think that these parts could be replaced with the older version or with aftermarket parts to get better reliability?

Edited by Maxi_z

On 23/02/2019 at 08:40, Dan.G said:

Can anyone confirm the limiter being raised to 7000 on the 380, officially by lotus?? I've just had my first service and was not made aware of this? Is this in keeping with the lotus warranty?

Not that I am aware of...

Dave

19 minutes ago, Gekko the great said:

Do you track your car?

Yes. Not regularly but 1 or 2 a year. Had 2bular exhaust on about 3 years and run the add on silencers for quiet days. No probs ever. 

Did you get your car mapped for the decat?

out of curiosity why did you go for valved exhaust in first place. Jim is very vocal about not liking valves in track systems and hence the reason track system exists. 

Did your 380 have the metal baffles on the diffuser as others had them melting with stock setup 

20 minutes ago, RedViper said:

Yes. Not regularly but 1 or 2 a year. Had 2bular exhaust on about 3 years and run the add on silencers for quiet days. No probs ever. 

Did you get your car mapped for the decat?

Yes, of course

out of curiosity why did you go for valved exhaust in first place. Jim is very vocal about not liking valves in track systems and hence the reason track system exists. 

I live in the city centre and I thought a valved exhaust would have been more appropriate in order not to frighten people, moreover I had the possibility to open or close . With the valved opened its 129,4 DB

Did your 380 have the metal baffles on the diffuser as others had them melting with stock setup 

NO, I removed them 

Everybody can look at the pics of the exhaust I uploaded , Jim can say whatever he wants but the pics speak themselves .

Welds and exhausts are  made in China , that's why the delivery time takes so long and  the quality got worse.

https://www.2bular.co.uk/news

Quote:

24/02/2019: "2bular, is it a crappy exhaust?" I was somewhat intrigued to see this heading on a TLF forum post! Mind you, when I saw it was posted by 'Gekko the gypit' my immediate response was "Luca Morelli, is he a crappy driver?"

Now, it's possible that Luca's Exige 380 is a bit above his pay-grade and he's not the "Driving God" he thinks he is - but it is actually a pertinent example of the damage that a high-speed spin can do to your exhaust. Of course, Luca didn't mention that bit - and I don't expect any of the TLF massive to have the 30+ years performance exhaust/motorsport experience that I have to be able to ask the obvious questions. The violence needed to wreak that amount of damage to the exhaust must have been incredible. It's definitely the worst I've seen - and I've never had anything like that reported to me before or since.

I've just finished the annual round of repairing/re-furbishing/re-packing various race exhausts before the season begins. ALL of them exhibit the damage caused by excessive engine-movement to an exhaust held by the cheap, rigid, kit-car mounts that Lotus use. When 200+ Kgs of engine/transmssion try to push the exhaust out the back of the car and the exhaust system cannot move - there's only one result. Bear in mind Lotus actually REDUCED the amount of resilience in the exhaust mounts of the supercharged V6 installs - incredible.

I do like it if I can actually look the owner in the eye as I point out to him the damage to his silencer. "Ah - I see you spun off!" Erm, how did you know that?

Those soft engine/transmission mounts coupled with rigid exhaust mounts on all the Lotus installs ( + 30 years experience!) compelled me to be VERY clear in my T&C's;

"I build exceedingly robust exhausts but I will not be held liable if you burn/blow out/break your exhaust during track use. IF YOU TRACK THE CAR YOUR 2BULAR WARRANTY IS VOID."

2 hours ago, quantum2000 said:

https://www.2bular.co.uk/news

Quote:

24/02/2019: "2bular, is it a crappy exhaust?" I was somewhat intrigued to see this heading on a TLF forum post! Mind you, when I saw it was posted by 'Gekko the gypit' my immediate response was "Luca Morelli, is he a crappy driver?"

Now, it's possible that Luca's Exige 380 is a bit above his pay-grade and he's not the "Driving God" he thinks he is - but it is actually a pertinent example of the damage that a high-speed spin can do to your exhaust. Of course, Luca didn't mention that bit - and I don't expect any of the TLF massive to have the 30+ years performance exhaust/motorsport experience that I have to be able to ask the obvious questions. The violence needed to wreak that amount of damage to the exhaust must have been incredible. It's definitely the worst I've seen - and I've never had anything like that reported to me before or since.

I've just finished the annual round of repairing/re-furbishing/re-packing various race exhausts before the season begins. ALL of them exhibit the damage caused by excessive engine-movement to an exhaust held by the cheap, rigid, kit-car mounts that Lotus use. When 200+ Kgs of engine/transmssion try to push the exhaust out the back of the car and the exhaust system cannot move - there's only one result. Bear in mind Lotus actually REDUCED the amount of resilience in the exhaust mounts of the supercharged V6 installs - incredible.

I do like it if I can actually look the owner in the eye as I point out to him the damage to his silencer. "Ah - I see you spun off!" Erm, how did you know that?

Those soft engine/transmission mounts coupled with rigid exhaust mounts on all the Lotus installs ( + 30 years experience!) compelled me to be VERY clear in my T&C's;

"I build exceedingly robust exhausts but I will not be held liable if you burn/blow out/break your exhaust during track use. IF YOU TRACK THE CAR YOUR 2BULAR WARRANTY IS VOID."

Wow, 

Mr.Jim Velentune,  long time lurker now poster, I thought you were holed up in your den 😁😁

By the reading your reply everybody can notice you're an arrogant person ..

What's that got my driving experience to do with the exhaust ???

I could be the best or the worst driver but you provided the exhaust that opened like an apple ...you say that the damage is always caused by excessive engine movement , the hanger rod welded to the end plate transmits the stresses caused by engine -movement and the end-plate twists and breaks.

You wonder why Lotus use such soft engine/transmission mounts, so if you know that why you manufacture such exhausts ???? IMHO your products SUCK, in your disclaimer you should say" 2bular exhausts are appropriate for people  who drive in the countryside, go to the bar or enjoy revving " Track exhausts are another story and you still need to open the book 

In my previous cars even more powerful than the Lotus,  always track focused, I've always fitted aftermarket exhaust and this is the first time that happenS something like this.

If you would have been another person , if you would have admitted that maybe this time something was wrong with the material I would have stopped messing up , but you still keep talking about engine movement and so on .

Stop blaming Lotus for this , that and those and take charge of your mistakes but this happens when you give them in outsourcing  

他們是中國窮人啊哈哈哈 Chinese language 

Awe, Armytrix, Akrapovic, these are top notch firms, they can provide inconel exhaust and this is the best material for racing , your material is so thin that it breaks if you fart on it

It's not possible to place an order and receive the exhaust after 5 or 6 month ( not my case fortunately) you know I'm telling the truth as I can prove it 

Take a look at the pics , just to remember yourself what marvellous item you sell 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Everybody can purchase your products , but NOT FOR TACK USE

bye bye little mouse

That speech from 2bular is plainly unacceptable way of treating your customer however right or wrong (s)he is. Just petty, undignified and arrogant. Also clearly expressing superiority over the broad group of people that he does not know anything about and many of whom are also his customers. Meh.