Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Stratton Evora GTs - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Stratton Evora GTs

C8RKH

3 hours ago, 21gg said:

The attitude of the owner would put me off personally dealing with them unless I had to

Gav

So he’s not changed in 17 years then. When I was looking at buying a new Elise back in 2002 he refused to let me sit in one in the showroom, let alone a test drive, unless I was committed to buying that day.

I swore then that I would never give them any business despite them being my nearest dealer & have never been back since.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think the owner must be in his 70's pr 80's now. I don't think you'll find him at the dealership anymore day to day at least. I had a really good chat with one of the service guys and it was very interesting indeed. I have a new respect for them and what they can do. Very talented lot there, with some serious depth of knowledge (especially around Aston Martin). 

Roger still works, I stood talking to him only last week in their showroom. 

Didn't look at the 5 cars they have in any detail but the frosted white one looked lovely from what I could see.

Btw, age discrimination is just as bad as race or sex discrimination in my book. Just because someone's in their 20's doesn't mean they're incompetent. Next time you watch Formula One, take a good look at the technicians working in the garages on multi-million pound cars. 90% of them are in their 20's....

Okay so the chassis are old but the car is essentially new. What else can you buy for 85k that has the road presence, power and exclusivity of 1/30 cars?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

So 6 months on and with summer drawing to a close it looks like Strattons still haven’t sold any of their five reworked “GTs”. All are still advertised on their website at their original March prices (four at £84k and Swizzy’s at £89k). I would have thought they might have sold a couple abroad with the LHD layout and weak Sterling. I also notice they advertise 18” and 19” wheels, rather than the 19” and 20” of the Lotus Motorsport cars. I wonder what the future holds for them: they’re about 8 years old already and still haven’t found an owner yet.

I have only seen 4 advertised seems to be one missing somewhere i think it must be the one that was at the 70th at Hethel in green I seem to remember it definitely was in a shabby condition. 

• 2 months later...

Just checked Stratton’s website again. All 5 are still advertised for sale at the original March prices. Winter’s now fast approaching and Sterling has since strengthened against the Euro to help put off any potential continental clients, so these cars could be standing idle for a lot longer now. I am amazed that they seemingly still haven’t found a single buyer. Maybe buying up all those parts and building these cars wasn’t such a good business venture for SMC after all? Apart from their own website, they could have perhaps made a more widespread marketing drive, so that more people know they exist. For example get them featured on Pistonheads, in magazines, post a video, lend one to a youTuber or something.

8 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Apart from their own website, they could have perhaps made a more widespread marketing drive, so that more people know they exist. For example get them featured on Pistonheads, in magazines, post a video, lend one to a youTuber or something.

I had no idea they existed until I stumbled upon them a week or so ago. I would have loved one if I had known, but none are IPS it seems. Still, that green one is gorgeous to my eyes, I have always loved the GTE widebody shape. 

I'd love to do a back to back comparison video with the GT430 if Stratton were interested.

Used GT430 or a new Stratton GT? Impossible to call without driving the GT but best guess is that it would be close.

The thing which marks out the Stratton cars as a complete no-no to me is that they appear to use a simply massive hub spacer on the rear rather than the longer wishbones. That is surely going to knacker the rear wheel bearings in short order and I'd be concerned about the possible impact on handling. On an 84 grand car? Eh, no, I'll pass thanks! I fully expect these cars to be still for sale come the spring with a much reduced price tag.

I think it would be worthwhile Stratton getting some new wishbones cast. The moulds must be around and current GTE owners would I am sure be relieved to know some spares existed for the future. Maybe a motorsport outfit could take on?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 12/11/2019 at 19:00, The Pits said:

I'd love to do a back to back comparison video with the GT430 if Stratton were interested.

Used GT430 or a new Stratton GT? Impossible to call without driving the GT but best guess is that it would be close.

much wider track of the gte makes it far more stable under braking and cornering.  

3 hours ago, freefall_junkie said:

The thing which marks out the Stratton cars as a complete no-no to me is that they appear to use a simply massive hub spacer on the rear rather than the longer wishbones. That is surely going to knacker the rear wheel bearings in short order and I'd be concerned about the possible impact on handling. On an 84 grand car? Eh, no, I'll pass thanks! I fully expect these cars to be still for sale come the spring with a much reduced price tag.

They never used longer wishbones on the rear only the front (which strattons have a pair to copy if needed).

The spacers they are using on the rear are because they ran out of the GTE wheels with lower offsets and have used a set of standard evora wheels. 

A bespoke set of forged wheels with the correct offsets will come in around the 4-5k mark. The Stratton GT's have been for sale for a while now, i bet if you haggled you could get the cost of a set of bespoke wheels off the purchase price... 

On 12/11/2019 at 16:26, BatMobile said:

I can't see these selling, as I stated before their release. too many red flags for anyone to seriously consider - if they were cheaper then you'd take a punt but at this price, add £10k and find an original.....

these are the original GTE cars, they still have their Swindon engines in them... you mean one of the factory re-worked cars 

• Like 1

@TheKevlarKid Have you ever tried/driven a car with the Swindon V6? I'd love to know how they compare to the standard V6 SC and indeed the GT430 if you've been out in one yet. Stability under braking is absolutely superb in the GT430 so any improvement on that would be quite something. While we're at it, did anyone ever weigh a GTE?

Someone has put one of the 3.8 Cosworth V6 GT4 NA engines in the back of an Exige V6 CupR. Sounds absolutely glorious, as good as you'd hope. It competes in the CSCC series, I've raced it a few times. Very quick car, usually gets the better of the M3 race cars that it competes against and they're years ahead in terms of development.

Can't remember exactly but if anyone has driven one it's probably him. Hopefully he'll be along soon once he's finished buffing his gold 211! ;)

I belive Gavs red GTE does have a swindon engine but running a lotus ecu and standard pully so 385 bhp from memory. 

Didnt JayEmm drive the standard Evora that they droped a swindon engine in? 

I've driven both GTE with Swindon 385hp tune and a GT430 on track at Croft (my local).

Both great cars to drive and very rewarding and well balanced when you hook them up. It wasn't a back to back test unfortunately so couldn't comment on the extra power of the 430 but it  didn't feel any faster than the GTE tbh. I think what the 430 has on the straights the gte makes back up on the brakes and in the corners. The extra width the GTE is noticeable in the braking zones, turn in and mid corner, it just feels a more stable platform (and so it should being 100mm+ wider...).

There were a couple of things I didn't like about the 430, mainly it's valved exhaust. The car I drove had the titanium exhaust and was far too loud for the trackday we were on, we were having to short shift coming out of Sunny where the sound equipment is. We were fine everywhere else but when booting it you seem to be always waiting for the change in exhaust tone as the valve opened and closed. It reminded me of a NA 2zz exige/elise with a cam change... It was a little off-putting tbh. I'd have to change that out for a non-valved exhaust. 

Other thing that shocked me was the weight of the tail gate. Considering its full carbon it weighed a bloody tonne opening it up.... No damper assistance and a crappy stick to hold it up. No, no, no...

Still not sure ot the height of the rear wing, looks out of place a little, I'm sure it's. Very effecti 've up that high though but just doesn't sit right from all angles.

Only other negative comment was the crappy "GT430" sticker on the steering wheel... who put that on 125k car?? I peeled it off as it was bubbling... It looked shockingly terrible I have to say!!

However, at 85k that you can now pick one up for, they are a cracking buy!!

Ps. Gold 2-11 was finished last year, it now lives in Tasmania!! 

Edited by TheKevlarKid
  • Like 2

The GT430 carbon bootlid has extra internal reinforcement over the standard carbon ducktail and I am sure the spoiler and supports add a lot of weight too. The same carbon ducktail (without the spoiler etc) on my Evora 410 sport is very light.

I keep looking at that blue GT430 at £85k but think there must be an issue with it at that price. However the green/yellow gte AT £70K...... OMG.....

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

The green/yellow GTE is not for sale at £70k. That’s just the low estimate click-bait on-line auction guide price, ending 21.11.19. The car was recently up for normal sale at about £100k. My guess is that it would sell at somewhere between the two, or end up a No Sale and reappear again later on.