Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone running a GT3071R turbo? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone running a GT3071R turbo?

Hello

i would love to hear from anyone using the GT3071R turbo and feedback on it.

I hear a lot of people saying it would be a good choice and are considering it but very little of it actually in use?

after doing all the usual mods to the S4S :

allunox manifold 

bigger charge cooler with electric pump 

uprated RC injectors 

3 inch free flowing exhaust 

green dot cams 

aftermarket fuel pump

The next logical step is probably a better modern turbo - perhaps the GT3071R is the ticket?

Al  

Seems to be a good fit, they're often suggested. You can get a twinscroll turbine housing for it, which would help the allegedly older design.

Borgwarners EFR series has some nice prospects with current design and more features. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently fitting a GTX2863R. Not a straight swap but I'll put up some detail and the results when finished, if people are interested

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192543926850

Theoretically capable of 400hp+ so I shouldn't be taxing it. My injectors are spec'd for ~320

Edited by cammmy

Just to further this, the new design of the GTX seems to more than make up for it's smaller size:

http://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php?t=2293

This is on a SR20 which which is a 2 litre 4 pot that runs very similar cams, so should be a decent comparison.

Also consider vernier cam pulleys. I picked up 10hp on my GT3 (stock turbo) just from those.

Edited by cammmy
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Double scroll turbos have a better low band performance.

For cars with external wastegate, you may replace only a turbine cover(housing). Look for "MAMBA Turbine Housing Garrett" on eBay!

Several different specs covers are available.

BorgWarner EFR 6258-G Turbocharger B1.jpg

BorgWarner EFR 6758-G Turbocharger B1.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

Forgot to reply to this earlier. I would suggest anything bigger than the GTX2863R is overkill unless you want over 400hp. It had a boost creep issue initially and they were letting off the throttle at 360BHP. I ported the internal gate and am now at 320BHP with 90% duty cycle on the injectors. Even with the 2863, the boost threshold is pushed up a bit from the factory turbo.

• Gold FFM
On 24/10/2019 at 13:04, snowrx said:

Compressor maps not ID'd?

Thought the same thing. 

Not much use when you don't know what they refer to. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

11 hours ago, ragingfool35 said:

Cam what was the boost at those HP numbers?  are you monitoring your fuel pressure at 90% duty?

At 320hp It's running 1.1 bar and the Dyno operator noted the injectors are okay and holding 11.4:1 fuel at the top end. I've already put a DW200 fuel pump in and adjustable regulator, which should be able to handle more than this engine could ever produce. The regulator has a gauge on it but I would only be able to see it on the Dyno and I wasn't there last time it was tuned.

My plan is rebuild the motor and update the trans. Then go for bigger injectors. I already have updated ones from five0. I only asked for them to support 320hp, as when I was buying as I was only thinking about a super 60 trim compressor at the time. Not a whole new turbo

Edited by cammmy

• 1 month later...

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND