Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
F1 Boring? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

F1 Boring?

• Gold FFM

How many of us have posted at one time or another that F1 is dull, not as good as in years gone by, bit of a prosession, no overtaking ect ect?

Thought the Canadian Grand had everything. Ok, maybe a few too many laps under the pace car, but how much more entertainment in a GP do do want. As a mere armchair spectator, pretty happy with the season so far as a number of differant drivers showing potential by winning races.

Really couldn't believe 'just' a broken leg was the result of the 170mph incident - really amazing escape and a testament to the safety and build quality of the modern racing car.

The individual circuits seem to make such a differance to what can and can't be done in these super hi-tec cars nowadays. Todays race, for me showed the differance in two drivers in identicle cars ( yeah I know its only one race) Alonso and Hamilton - lots of mistakes and zero mistakes. Very very early days for Hamilton, but such an impressive victory. A top F1 driver with a top team is expected to deliver but I can't remember a rookie driver with only 7 races under his belt being so consistant and faultless in all races so far. Everybody, especially the press is waiting for a slip up but as yet, not even showing the slightest weakness, to be fare all would have expected by now throught his fault or other.

Hope the rest of the season brings more of the same enjoyment that we all used to enjoy.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first year for a while that f1 has been marginally interesting.

Great drive by Hamilton and tbh I didn't think he would walk away from the crash it was that bad.

Hopefully the season will continue to provide good racing.

Cheers

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

Wow what a superb race. Like Ian said it had everything, crashes, overtaking, rule breaking (Yes Ferrari, Red traffic lights at the end of the pit does mean stop...) and the moment for me was Sato's drive and his aggressive overtaking on Alonso!

Brilliant, roll on indy, always a good race as well!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM
Bloody typical... LH scores his maiden victory in the only GP I've missed this season :whistle:

Try and catch hi-light programme around 11.30pm ITV1 tonight - well recommended. :)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Go on Kimbers... just rub it in a bit more why don't you? :)

Try and catch hi-light programme around 11.30pm ITV1 tonight - well recommended. :whistle:

Thanks Ian :) Off to set the recorder now (been a long, alcohol fuelled w/e - desperately need sleep).

James, I'm still hung over myself!! What a great night, won a game of poker, drank ******* loads, Ate Pork scratchings, iced doughnuts and fresh cherries, watched one of my fave films, Quigley Down Under and then woke the Mrs up at 4am with a helllloooo baby....and she was not angry with me!!

Very very cool. :whistle:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

The race wasn't boring but unfortunately this was due to the many incidents caused by the drivers mistakes rather than good 'racing'.

F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport, todays events were more like Formula Ford than F1.

Anyone who watched the Moto GP race earlier today would of seen some 'proper racing'. :whistle:

Anyone who watched the Moto GP race earlier today would of seen some 'proper racing'. :whistle:

:) Agreed ... the MotoGP was awesome Stoner and Rossi totally on it and Pedrosa keeping them honest and waiting to sweep up the pieces. Could barely contain myself to the edge of the seat for the last 4 laps! The 250 was a bit of a procession tho. There always seems to be one class where racing takes a back seat as things just get strung out - its 250s this year.

The F1 was also great to see this time (much beter than Monaco!) - agree with Kimbers that Sato's drive was one of his best ever especially cos he didn't punt anyone off! Surprised at Alonso's mistakes - he's been so cool the last two years - but he made Hamiltons drive look even better than it was. Off pole Lewis went very well, but after the first bend, he had little real threat and seemed to control the race easily - eg where was everyone else on the safety car restarts? Shame about Kubica's accident - spectacular as it was - even "just" a broken leg will keep him out til late summer and he was quickly becoming one of the new threats to the Macerrari cartel.

Mike

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Just watched the highlights - Kubica has mild concussion and a sprained ankle!!! They will be letting him out tomorrow. Says a huge amount for the strength of the cars.

Today was the best race so far, although Kimi needs a slap round the head with a wet fish - they should pay him by the win not the season. Sato taking Alonso, now that's something you don't see everyday, and speaking of Alonso, you have to wonder if was having trouble with his iPod by the way he was driving ....

Edited by fmxa
Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Tentenths........I have the whole thing recorded on SKY. Could put onto a disc if you really want to see it.

I thought it was a fantastic GP......the consistency of Lewis Hamilton is unbelievable. How many times was the safety car out.......each time he regained his lead.

170MPH crash was one of the worst I have seen in ages.....only a broken leg. Amazing his neck was'nt broken. When you watch the re-run in slow motion, the sideways yank on his neck is toe curling.

What the hell was going on with Alonso repeatedly cutting that bend!!!

Just because you can, does'nt mean you should.

Thanks Katie, that's a really kind offer :whistle:. But have just watched the Highlights programme I recorded last night. Admittedly not nearly as exciting as watching it live - especially when you already know the result - but good viewing all the same.

Superb drive by LH, and a well deserved win... I suspect the first of many. Still reckon he won't win the Drivers' Championship Kimbers?

Umm, quick reality check needed. He was in one of a pair of the fastest cars on the grid, the other McLaren was damaged by Alonso throwing it at the kerb on the first corner. He didn't overtake anyone or have anyone threatening to overtake him. He just drove the fastest car the fastest without having to battle back-markers or other traffic, due to the safety car bunching the pack up so often.

Fair play to the bloke, to finish first - first you have to finish etc etc, but he's yet to be tested.

170MPH crash was one of the worst I have seen in ages.....only a broken leg. Amazing his neck was'nt broken. When you watch the re-run in slow motion, the sideways yank on his neck is toe curling.

It was quite sickening - reminiscent of that dreadful weekend when Ratzenberger and Senna lost their lives. I thought he was a goner, but a sprain and mild concussion? Jeez. I think if it wasn't for the neck brace, he may well have had a broken neck, imo.

This crash was the one that upset me the most

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfHJiJXtzlU

I just didn't see how he could ever survive it, yet the pie-eater is still there on our screens :whistle:

• Gold FFM
Umm, quick reality check needed. He was in one of a pair of the fastest cars on the grid, the other McLaren was damaged by Alonso throwing it at the kerb on the first corner. He didn't overtake anyone or have anyone threatening to overtake him. He just drove the fastest car the fastest without having to battle back-markers or other traffic, due to the safety car bunching the pack up so often.

Fair play to the bloke, to finish first - first you have to finish etc etc, but he's yet to be tested.

Stats don't lie I'm affraid. Breaking all sorts of records. If you qualify on pole and start from P1, what else can you do other than keep in front and win the race? Ok, may have been even more impressive if stopped for a quick coffee followed by a fag, then driven through the field from 22 place to win, but shame it doesn't work that way. You can't do any more than qualify on pole, maintain the lead, then win the race. He is in the best car this season, so thats why expectations are the way they are. Looking at past history the vast majority of F1 driver champions have had the fastest car, not all, but most of them have. Hypothectically, put the best driver in the Spyker, and most lightly it won't finnish or will be bring up the rear of the field, then put a little known driver in the top seat and the car will most likely still perform, but thats nearly always been the case in F1. You can only drive the car a team can build, however sophisticated - but you've still got to drive the car.

Stats don't lie I'm affraid. Breaking all sorts of records. If you qualify on pole and start from P1, what else can you do other than keep in front and win the race? Ok, may have been even more impressive if stopped for a quick coffee followed by a fag, then driven through the field from 22 place to win, but shame it doesn't work that way. You can't do any more than qualify on pole, maintain the lead, then win the race. He is in the best car this season, so thats why expectations are the way they are. Looking at past history the vast majority of F1 driver champions have had the fastest car, not all, but most of them have. Hypothectically, put the best driver in the Spyker, and most lightly it won't finnish or will be bring up the rear of the field, then put a little known driver in the top seat and the car will most likely still perform, but thats nearly always been the case in F1. You can only drive the car a team can build, however sophisticated - but you've still got to drive the car.

Just to add, not only did he maintain it, he did so through 4(?) safety car restarts, each time re-creating clear air between him and second. Yes he has been fortunate to be in the most competitive car this season, but 6 podiums in 6 starts is more than just the car - and more than Alonso has managed with the same machinery.

Lemoncurd

factory.jpg

I'm with Graham on this one. He's in the best car by a HHHUUUUGGGGGEEEEE amount, has never been seriously under pressure, never even had to lap anyone in Canada and hasn't won a race where he was in a competitive scenario.

That said he's very talented and has one of his best chances of his career this year as no one else can touch the car or team. Any British driver doing well deserves support, but I would still rather support one of the 3 other British drivers. Old hatreds die hard and Mclaren were always one of the major competitors of the Lotus F1 team.

Mclaren, Ferrari. Just can't bring myself to support them. Not now, not ever.

(Doesn't help I work for Honda I suppose)

Perhaps you're all getting Hamilton overdose from the British press but I think you are being way too hard on the block.

At some races the Ferrari has been the best car but that wasn't enough for Raikonnen to win or even beat Hamilton. And what about when he suckered Massa into a mistake in only his first or second race by tricking him into outbraking himself? His consistency has been brilliant, leading every race he has started and being on the podium in them all. He has lapped traffic in the past when being chased by a faster car but didn't do anything stupid and kept his position. Then there are his GP2 performances which were very impressive. He had the sense to back off in Monaco after a couple of near misses. I can't really fault the bloke.

The best bit of the race was Sato overtaking a Toyota, a Ferrari and Mclaren. Fantastic stuff and definitely not in the script. More power to the minnows.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Perhaps you're all getting Hamilton overdose from the British press but I think you are being way too hard on the block.

I think its a Brit thing. Support the underdog and knock the sucessful.

The Mclaren did not start the season as the best car.

Alonso has the same car but you can help thinking that he is overdriving it in an effort to stay with LH.

So, he has the same car as the current world champion and is currently leading him and outperforming him.

Yep the guy is obviously a talentless shite........

A bit harsh, Pete. I'm not sure anyone has said that, it's just that most are fed up of LH being touted as the new Fangio/Senna/Schumacher etc etc after just a handfull of races using a car that is considerably faster than the other cars on the grid.

The boy can drive, no doubt about that and I'm glad it's give Alonso something unexpected to think about. However, even someone as clumsy as Nico Crash Rosberg would have trouble not being on the podium in the current McLaren.

What does annoy, is the media's fickle reawakened interest in a sport that most of the journos haven't even thought about in the last 5 years. If it's not some tired old footage of a 6 year old LH in the Blue Peter garden, it's a girl proclaiming to have been his first sexual conquest.

I won't mention the ITV We Love Him and He's Ours, Did You Know He's Only Twelve Years Old? Lewis Hamilton Formula 1 Show (with some other racing driver blokes, too).

I won't mention the ITV We Love Him and He's Ours, Did You Know He's Only Twelve Years Old? Lewis Hamilton Formula 1 Show (with some other racing driver blokes, too).

Ah.... that bad is it?

At least we have a more balanced media view here.

I cant help thinking that this will start going the same way as it did with Mansell in the mid eighties.

Just get the press to back off. Sure he's very, very good. There have even been flashes of something 'very special'.... but lets wait a few years before we start talking about a 'new Senna' eh?

I've supported McLaren as a team for a very, very long time, so you can imagine how I feel about LH's season so far :smoke:

Okay, so ITV's coverage is a 'bit' biased, and thankfully I'm not subjected to the UK media & the belief that he's the reason the sun rises and sets.. but come on guys - appreciate the fact that for a first season (brilliant car withstanding - and not punted as the strongest pre-season BTW...), the guy's doing brilliantly well.

Deffo not the time to start punting him as the new Senna etc... and the tide will turn eventually. Hope he doesn't pull an 'Alonso' when that time comes... Ex world champion? - Start acting like one. I shuddered when I heard he was replacing the Iceman last year. "Complete Prat" comes to mind when I think 'Alonso' - Currently revelling in his spoilt brat behaviour and the current feuding at McLaren between the two.

Have a feeling this weekend is'nt going to be anything spectacular... Just another podium finish for Hamilton I suppose...