Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today .... - Page 16 - Technology & Gaming - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

So I Bought An Apple Iphone Today ....

fmxa

• Gold FFM

Don't hold back C8RKH. Say what you really mean. :hrhr: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

You'd still be doing porridge for those videos!

• Like 2

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Apple have been shamefully ripping off consumers for years. They've been stripping essential features and claiming it's "new design", they have abandoned the professional users that built their reputation, they have gone out of their way to build products that are extremely difficult or impossible to repair/upgrade and their pricing is just eye-watering.

The price they charge for the higher capacity iPhones is just extortionate. 128gb of solid state memory does not cost £100.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

Wife dropped mine weeks ago.

got it "repaired" at the local ?? Repair shop in hereford.

its never worked perfectly since - freezes up and you have to lock and unlock it for it to work again......... take it back - oh they do that!! Arghhhhh

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Not so long ago Apple also introduced a feature where if the phone detected it had been repaired by a non-Apple person, it bricked itself.

That didn't last very long as they realised quite quickly what a bloody stupid idea that was

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

7 hours ago, ramjet said:

So I am looking to upgrade to some sort of plan. My current GT-I9000 is old and doing some weird things

That's the phone I had - loved it. Ever thought of flashing a new ROM on to it. Here's a good website I used to use https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=galaxysmtd. There are some cut down operating systems on here that give the phone back it's performance. I swapped mine out for a Microsoft OS based phone a year ago and have really regretted it - have actively considered going back to my old galaxy phone on several occasions.

Due to my design/print background, I've always had a soft spot for Apple, but like many, I am running out of excuses for their malaise.

My last two iphones and my wife's have been repaired several times; failing screen, failing batteries, refusing to charge at all, charging only on a Wednesday when the wind is blowing from the west.

As for the new Macs, they are rightfully going to be overtaken by competitors if they don't get their act together pronto, if it's not already too late.

Picked up an iPhone 7 last week and I thoroughly disappointed in the damn thing.  Battery life is awful, needing the lightning adapter for the ear buds is beyond irritating, and while hard to quantify, it's just acting weird all round.  Maybe I got a lemon, who knows.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM
On 12/19/2016 at 22:02, march said:

That's the phone I had - loved it. Ever thought of flashing a new ROM on to it. Here's a good website I used to use https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=galaxysmtd. There are some cut down operating systems on here that give the phone back it's performance. I swapped mine out for a Microsoft OS based phone a year ago and have really regretted it - have actively considered going back to my old galaxy phone on several occasions.

Thanks for this Marc, but how do I know what does what?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

On 12/21/2016 at 01:06, fmxa said:

Maybe I got a lemon, who knows.

No, you got an Apple, not a Lemon. What you are experiencing is increasingly common. My 22 year old daughter, an Apple Fan Girl since birth it feels, is even starting to whinge and moan about them.

Apple is the biggest pile of shit you can buy these days. The innovation has stopped (sorry, the taking someone elses idea once they have proven the market exists and wrapping it in a swanky designer led design and calling it innovation approach anyway). So now, they are resorting to ever more desperate measures to restrict 3rd party adaptions for their products whilst charging a fortune for their own "essentials" that you absolutely must have.

I bet in 5 years Apple will go the way of Blackberry and Nokia.  I know that may sound far fetched but honestly, think back, did we really see the fall of Nokia and Blackberry

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

So now I have to probably get a new phone as I can't work out Marc's website and I probably need to do something.

Is anything out there have any decent water resistance?

• Gold FFM

I went close. I got an A5. S7s are silly money on a plan. I don't have it at the moment.

Still waterproof apparently. :) 

• 2 years later...
  • Gold FFM

Well, I might be doing it again.

I have been reading a bunch of information online and the battle between Android and iOS seems to be pretty close.

The decider for me might just be that I can stream music from an iPhone directly to my hearing aids (yup, both ears. Noise induced)

Android can't.

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

Well, I might be doing it again.

I have been reading a bunch of information online and the battle between Android and iOS seems to be pretty close.

The decider for me might just be that I can stream music from an iPhone directly to my hearing aids (yup, both ears. Noise induced)

Android can't.

You mean your hearing aids are not compatible with Android? It's not Android that can't it's your hearing aids. The aids  company obviously only paid for the iphone work not the Android work too 

The small print.

https://www.hearingtracker.com/ask/which-hearing-aids-can-stream-music-from-an-android-phone

Nearly all hearing aids currently on the market from every manufacturer can stream music from an Android, or any other smart phone that has bluetooth capability.  You will need to have a bluetooth accessory item which will be paired with the phone as well as the hearing aids.  There are several manufacturers (Resound, Starkey, and Oticon) that have models which do not require an extra accessory, however this direct streaming functionality only works with iphones at the present time.

The most important thing to get is "made for iPhone" or Bluetooth built into the hearing aid, has two BIG limitations. The first is radically reduced battery life, because Bluetooth is a power hog. You can expect 2-4 days per battery when the aid has Bluetooth in it. The second thing is talking on the phone.

Hmm... sounds like the made for iPhone is a negative not a positive.

• Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You mean your hearing aids are not compatible with Android? It's not Android that can't it's your hearing aids. The aids  company obviously only paid for the iphone work not the Android work too 

As others have mentioned, many hearing aids can do this with a box in between. iPhones don't need the box anymore on many models, but virtually all Android-based phones do. The reason is purely hardware driven. iPhones are a closed architecture (which some would say is an advantage and some would say is a disadvantage), but Android is open architecture, which means every single model by every different manufacturer essentially runs a slightly different version of Android to work with their specific, ever-changing hardware. As a result, if a manufacturer were to put in a lot of R&D on making say a Samsung Galaxy 7 able to stream without a box, it wouldn't work on ANY other Android device, indcluding a Galaxy 6 or a Note 7. Chances are very high that until a manufacturer or manufacturers agree to a closed standard, we will not see direct streaming of an Android device without an intermediary box. It is a shame because many of my patients are loyal Android users, but I have had a handful that have switched to iPhone just because it works more completely with their hearing aids. Hope this helps!

It would appear from the quote above that the hardware issue is with phones using Android or am I not reading that correctly?

No. Basically they will do the work on tge hearing aids for Apple as they just need to do it once - as Apple is a closed proprietary system.

They won't do the same work for Android as it is an open system so each phone manufacturer can add their own tweaks.

Android will work if they do the work.

The small print.

• Gold FFM

Wouldn't that mean a different set of hearing aids that were specifically set up to work with the users Android device?

If you have a look at the size of the ReSound Phone Clip+, if that is the size required of the electronics than they will never get it into a hearing aid that weighs next to nothing to cover every version of Android or variations in hardware.

And it isn't just Resound from ChrisJ's post that can't. No hearing aid can. The ReSound clip is $380.

I have no idea what other solutions there are or their prices.

• Gold FFM

ReSound LiNX 3D

I think I'd take the advice on the Resound Website - clicky - I'd also request A free 30 day trial of the clip so that you can decide what's best.

• Gold FFM

Have already seen that Chris, but thanks.

The current Samsung that I have still goes ok, but it it has large crack over the glass back that happened sometime. I have managed to actually glue it with superglue which has stopped it opening up all the time. Any waterproof capability of this phone is shot.