Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
78070100S Progress - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

78070100S Progress

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tea break after success in the latest trial fitting of the hybrid HVAC assembly, looks very well configured. I'll post a photo soon once the entire unit is permanently sealed up and ready to go on the shelf. Just such a relief to be getting this far along after the grinding slog of interior and HVAC mods and prep.

Photo of the left A-pillar trim attached.

Cheers

IMG_3091.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the bounce after a break attending to business concerns, deciding to begin exploration of engine bay layout projects to come. Gathered up the bare dry sump block, MBP and pump assembly and bench assembled the lot along with SJ's uprated engine mount kit for S1/S2. Still several chores to complete on interior readiness but looking at the engine layout work in order to refresh the mind. Looks like I'll need an engine lift to carry on with plan to offer up to the chassis as the assembly has no naturally stable posture other than on its side, and is quite a handful even without head and reciprocating bits on board.

Looks like the A/C compressor should be moved over to LH side, factory S2 unit was placed on the right.

Cheers  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, just in from the garage for a coffee, thought it time to update the state of progress. Sideswiped by both C-19 and the latest home reno traumas I nonetheless have been keeping head down on the Esprit, preparing the interior panels for the trimmer and finalizing the HVAC installation. It has been quite a task creating the alternative locations at ends of the dash panel for the face level vents. The sockets are now highly faired into the panel and very symmetrical., so good to go at last. Domestic UK style glove binnacle lid has been offered up for fitment ( my thanks again, chaps, for the helpful photos ) and that too is ready for trimming. Recognizing that completion of my updated A/C system layout was in order I worked through myriad connection and line options then proceeded to place a large order with Cold Hose, of Florida, with a new SD7-B10 compressor, hoses, fittings, etc due to arrive within a week or two. Finalization of the lines routing, confirmation of fittings compatibility, and compressor mounting on a dry sump equipped engine all to proceed with the new bits in hand.

More enjoyable than the tedious fettling of interior bits are the efforts now underway in fitting the rad, fans, and condenser, if only because it offers a glimpse of what assembling the car will look like. That's a welcome tonic by this point of the odyssey. So, the rad is original rebuilt with new tanks and core, SPAL fans ordered and due in 2 weeks, and a 2014 Honda Insight type condenser all to find placements for in the pod, and me without photos of the teardown long ago. Rolling about on the creeper I've determined where the rad was affixed at the top brackets, with a bias to the LH side. Respectful of the fine Lotus chassis DNA I'd prefer to shift the rad as far as possible to the right side so helping offset driver's weight in this LHD car. It seems that either side hose will encroach somewhat into the wheelarch space, depending on bias, and I wonder does anyone here know what would be the limiting issue in side-side placement of the rad?

Cheers

• Like 2

It so far seems that the rad may indeed be placed somewhat to the right hand side, with the upper hose outside the A-R bar support framework. Arrival of the fans will be central to confidence in placing the rad in every sense. It's intriguing looking for signs of how the pod and rad are attached, though obvious are the 3 perimeter points where fasteners draw the pod up into contact with the shell on each side. Parts listings indicate steel tube stays pod - chassis but I so far do not see where they would attach on either. Top edge of the rad one finds 2 brackets with captive 8mm nuts, this suggesting that bolts drop through holes in the frunk floor I imagine. Guidance from any who might know better will be welcome.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Quite some time spent lately on work pertaining to the rad and fans trial fit, finalising the A/C lines lengths and bits placement, and fabricating air entry ducting in aluminum sheet. Just removed all for final repairs to the OEM fans shroud, now with SPAL 11" fans adapted. Moving ahead I've just dropped the chassis back out, will load it up onto the temporary work surface and fit a partial engine for further development of ancillaries, plus brake upgrade projects. 

Cheers

IMG_3125.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

I agree hence deciding LHD in the end, I used to bake in my old JPS in the summer especially being black. 
Not sure if federal S1’s ever had it?

Dave :)

Yes they did. US dealer fitted I believe.

• Like 1

From what I've seen of them the differ depending upon which dealer fitted them.

The worst look like the Morlock air vents of their underground labyrinth in The Time Machine.

Useful though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks! A pair a idler eccentrics via Ebay are on their way through the post, and I intend to locate one with tensioner pulley in order to establish the final belt run. The paucity of space/clearance for these accessories makes use of conventional v-belt tensioning adjustment methods impractical. Therefore I shall somewhat emulate the typical serpentine tension approach. 

Cheers

I'm hoping to use one idler and one tensioner as well, but not a spring-loaded type - I'm going to use a second eccentric timing belt tensioner and manually tension the serpentine belt.  So long as you can get pretty close to the required belt length the eccentric tensioners are really compact, unlike most of the spring-type tensioners I've seen so far.  If you need a pulley with a LH thread fastener - Saab use them, but I don't recall which model.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the Saab tip, Pete. It seems we've each come to the same conclusion on the matter as a single eccentric tensioner is my answer as well, and for the same reasons. The 2nd idler/tensioner is to be applied for the oil pump belt's sake, if called for.

17 hours ago, drdoom said:

Thanks for the Saab tip, Pete. It seems we've each come to the same conclusion on the matter as a single eccentric tensioner is my answer as well, and for the same reasons. The 2nd idler/tensioner is to be applied for the oil pump belt's sake, if called for.

For clarity, I may have a total of 3 eccentric tensioners if taking the cam belt's unit into account. For the serpentine and oil pump needs I've a pair of inexpensive things found on Ebay to trial, once they've arrived.  2nd or 3rd OEM eccentrics will be my fallback should the cheapies appear not up to task.

I'll also be using a total of three as well - one fixed pulley between aircon compressor and crank, one eccentric between crank and alternator - both on one belt, and an eccentric one between crank and blower - separate belt.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of days ago I was to be off to have the new engine mount legs welded up until last minute review of positioning showed poorly indeed. Thought I'd done better in tacking them but not so. Today has been most productive, cutting, re-positioning, and tacking the inlet side piece to perfection. Expecting the exhaust side will be done by day's end. :happydance:

Cheers  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Brief update as to the state of things, winter '20/'21 having left we Pacific Coast-ers quite unscathed. Engine mounts 2.0 and 3.0 are done with bracing stays ready to help retain the bespoke accessory package from parting company with the greater part of the lump. For weeks I've spent much time and effort in laying out new A/C lines and bits, this program now on the brink of completion, thank goodness.

Brakes update madness progressing quite nicely, commencing with a tidy little twin master cylinder/balance bar kit in place of the OEM servo and M/C's. Thinking it wise to audit my outlook on pace of progress I have hauled out the old wiring loom and begun assessment of needs for tidying and updating. With focus I hope to restrain my more loony flights of fancy on updates, bear down with intent to push meaningfully toward completion. Still a long way to go.

Cheers

• Like 1

Question for you chaps concerning what to do with the main loom - how far to take restoration? It served for 17-18 years, typical modest mileage and the car has since been tucked away for the past 24 years. It's a matter of deciding whether every wire connector should be replaced, I'm already determined to clean the contacts of unique sockets and have purchased new column switches.

@Lotusfab or Fridge perhaps?

If it's not cracked or brittle, just use cleaner from an electronics store on all contacts, or some abrasive cloth. Especially the earthing points.

You can also circuit test.

Perhaps freshen up with new high quality loom tape.

The main thing is to upgrade the circuits carrying the cooling fans, door window motors and headlamps. I ran a separate fused power line to the front of the car for this purpose, and added relays to the above.

I gather new looms have shot up in price over the past couple of years here in the UK.

• Thanks 1