Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
78070100S Progress - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

78070100S Progress

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Great project you have going Steve,  look forward to the updates on your resto thread,  I found the trimming of one of my Esprits to actually be enjoyable which i was not expecting and wish i had done it myself many years before !

Good luck,  can you get away without re painting the bodyshell or is this going to be a full restoration on your S2 ?

A

Thanks, Dan, your views are always appreciated. I do hope to hire out the work at re-trimming the lot, likely in full leather, due to value of materials, the necessity of a fine outcome, and expediting the program via outside help ( for a change!! ).

As to the bodyshell I've committed to full refinishing there as well. The Roman Bronze did not appear too bad from a distance though the usual stress crack patterns were displayed upon closer viewing. Esprit look fab in just about any sort of finish, including RBM, but respray affords me the luxury of selecting what I would best enjoy while presenting this car in top form for all to appreciate. These things were always rare but are by now almost non-existent due to collision write-off, fires, or abominable chop-job re-imagining efforts. So, yes, full restoration if not outright re-manufacture😲.

• Like 1

Steve - I still think that the full cloth interior in an S2 is the best of the G cars - mine included.

Chris, I agree that the S2 interior is brilliant, for the most part, and stands as one of Giugiaro's most memorable achievements. I'd be happy to consider the re-do in cloth if something truly comparable to Marcasite was available in black or charcoal. I gathered in samples of a fabric called "Krypton" from an American supplier on advice of a forum member and found it quite unsuitable. The grey piece was too light with a disagreeable tint and the black was without surface character whatsoever - just sheer black like a cheap magician's cape in velvet. Anything you might suggest as alternative?

• Like 1

I have no alternatives in mind, but there must be something out there. Maybe Alcantara? I know that when I get round to redoing my Excel I'm going for 1/2 leather with Alcantara in a similar colour scheme for an updated take on it.

I'm fortunate in that if I ever have to do my Esprit interior, I just need to shoot a few teddy bears.

• Haha 1

On the matter of painting, when the time arrives, I'm looking at an OEM metallic finish from a contemporary car but thinking it might be improved if the metallic sheen could be enhanced. Can anyone advise whether this could be achieved either by application method or paint mix, for example?

I too wasn't happy with Kypton Suede, though it is a decent enough material otherwise. Have you looked at synthetic velvet? From looking at about 18 carefully selected black/gunmetal/anthracite samples I found nothing in the UK that had the same fine pile as Marcasite.

Alcantara, if carefully selected for similar properties ie thickness and flexibility may be the most up to date and quality you can expect. 

Without wishing to be too pedantic, your dials are the wrong way round...

Originally, Fuel was top right, Temp bottom right, Volts top left, Oil bottom left.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

7 hours ago, peteyg said:

Without wishing to be too pedantic, your dials are the wrong way round...

Originally, Fuel was top right, Temp bottom right, Volts top left, Oil bottom left.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete, with great appreciation for all insights offered TLF members are forgiven all pedantry at least until the damned thing is on the road! I routinely review the photos you posted of your interior while working on deciding how mine is to be done. Thought I'd consider setting the fuel gauge upper left so that passenger might have something to worry about, other than the rate at which i'll be taking corners.😄

• Like 1

Brief word today. Like Fabian, Jani, Giorgio and others who have persevered through the endless work of deep restoration I feel the fabric of my sanity is stretched a bit thin from time to time. Simply refusing to be beaten I find it serves nicely just to get quietly back on task, whatever the chore. Press on regardless, not long before something puts a new smile on my face.

Current tedium revolves around completion of interior trim preps in anticipation of jobbing the lot out. Happily I have made contact with a highly reputable local trimmer who has done several (!) Esprit and is interested in my project. Bearing down hard on this interior work has also brought clarity to my decision on what materials the S2 will be finished in, leather for the seats, armrest, gearchange puff and door inserts, Alcantara for the remainder. In other words, in the fashion of its original build.

Getting pretty crafty with my techniques for repair of the bloody moulded plastic bits, by the way. On tap at the moment is dealing with fractures in that vast trim panel for the firewall.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Best news to share as I have hired probably the most highly regarded local trimmer for the S2 interior. He's a broadly skilled ex-Brit who's done the work trimming the very highest value automobiles going around here, the likes of '20's and '30's Alfa , Rolls etc. and has several Esprit to his credit. My best solution to be sure! Will soon be posting photos of seats and sundry in leather, pod, dash and door cards in Alcantara. 

Cheers!

On 12/10/2019 at 03:23, drdoom said:

Getting pretty crafty with my techniques for repair of the bloody moulded plastic bits, by the way

Can you share your techniques, we all need to know better ways to do that sort of thing. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/11/2019 at 04:11, Lotusfab said:

Thinners for glue removal is must easier than sanding.

Thanks Fabian, I have employed thinner solutions judiciously when able to work outside however the weather hereabouts becomes generally less accommodating around late October. I'm pleased to have full rights to our 2 car garage until something like New Year's, when winter is expected to assert its first spell of nastiness, after that I'll need to operate in the area remaining once the wife's precious coupe takes refuge. Having done a bit of research my wariness of solvent toxicities has been elevated so I take ever more care to employ a mask with VOC absorbent cartridges around the vapours.

Cheers 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leather is used in all surfaces typically in contact with the occupant's body, so top surface of seat cushion and bolsters right out to the edge, the headrest choker, and the headrest including its sides for appearance sake I suppose. The vinyl (PVC) therefore is seen on the seat flanks and the very top of the headrest only, with that covering the backside of seat not shown in the photo. This is the form in which my S2 was originally trimmed.

Cheers

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Leather is used in all surfaces typically in contact with the occupant's body, so top surface of seat cushion and bolsters right out to the edge, the headrest choker, and the headrest including its sides for appearance sake I suppose. The vinyl (PVC) therefore is seen on the seat flanks and the very top of the headrest only, with that covering the backside of seat not shown in the photo. This is the form in which my S2 was originally trimmed.

Cheers

Always great to see a car restored to original detail.

Too much is lost over time by over restoring them.

• Like 1