Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S33 EXG & LJ17 EUR @ B&C - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S33 EXG & LJ17 EUR @ B&C

Nathan Pitman

I drove 'S33 EXG' (Black Sport 380) at Bell & Colvill today, not the best weather but a rather nice car. I've also been ogling the dark green 380 there with the number plate LJ17 EUR and wondered if either of the previous owners are here? 

• Like 1

Absolutely love my Elise Cup 220, however I do miss the wail of the V6 from my previous Lotus (Evora 400). I love the stripped back feel of the Elise, the low slung driving position and go-kart dynamics. I'd always wondered having owned both an Evora and an Elise, if the Exige would be the sweet spot.

Really really enjoyed it but I also remind myself just how much petrol the Evora 400 drank and how the Elise costs me half as much of every associated cost and is definitely more than half as fun on the roads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyKL said:

filling up after every 20 minute track session

Unless this is a slight exaggeration, something must be not fully right - mine certainly lasts for 40min/60-80mi of track time without problems. Still annoying, especially in the places with no petrol station on site (Castle Combe, Goodwood).

Having seen the black car, I'd haggle in a paint correction for sure. Can't speak for the condition otherwise though. I just can't justify the 10-£13k over a used 350 of similar age. 

Nice 350 is about 50k

Pre reg 350 is 60k

Low miler 380 is 62-65k

Low miler 410 is like 70-72k

45 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

@TonyKL how did you get on?

Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's tomorrow, I'll let you know.

1 hour ago, vd9 said:

Unless this is a slight exaggeration, something must be not fully right - mine certainly lasts for 40min/60-80mi of track time without problems. Still annoying, especially in the places with no petrol station on site (Castle Combe, Goodwood).

Ok to be fair, the tank wasn't full to empty in a 20 minute session, however from full down I used more than 50% which meant that if I didn't refill I would have short session or be watching the fuel gauge.  Circuit was Oulton park.

Edited by TonyKL
stupidity

4 hours ago, Tex said:

And  the pinnacle is a Cup 430 in region of £85,0000 . With all that Carbon and Titanium👍🏽

And drop the KT 460 in a 380 and you have a monster 🙀🙀🙀🙀

but seriously the 430 is a class motor...

On 16/11/2019 at 20:06, Nathan Pitman said:

@TonyKL how did you get on?

Nice the meet you at Newlands Corner Nathan - to elaborate on my drive of the 250 Cup.

Roads were busy with Sunday drivers and MAMILs but when I found a few open roads the Elise was good fun.  Really feel that it's a car you can have fun in without needing to be going crazy speeds.  The carbon seats were surprisingly more comfortable than my leather ones (maybe because mine are heated?) and the are set so that wearing a helmet will be good too.  Driving it I didn't miss the V6, the steering when pressing on was fantastic, clutch was light, gear change was great (4th-2nd was not quite as sweet) the exhaust was noisy but I have to say the brakes were appalling. For me the 4 pot standard exige brakes are spot on, great feel incredible stopping power (I notice this a lot on track gaining so much ground under braking).  Normal road driving I couldn't tell the difference.

On track I think that the 250 Cup will be a great laugh, just can it compete with the larger Exige for longer European trips or will it become tiring?

However, when I got back in my Exige and put my foot down it was like I engaged warp drive - man these V6 exiges have some push.

Can I live without the Exige/V6 for "just" an Elise, I'm not sure.  But I've owned Exiges for the past 10 years so I a change might be good but I can't think of anything other than a Lotus.  Maybe the Elise Cup ticks that box, wonder how it's for long euro trips.

My other option is to fit a larger fuel tank to the V6, will be the cheaper option! - was surprised that after an hour I hardly saw the Elise fuel gauge move!

Edited by TonyKL

interesting comparison. The Elise can do anything that you want - I think it more depends where you are mentally on the overall proposition in terms of power / expense etc.  Have done Euro trips in my Elise Cup - I even find it fun on the motorway given how much feedback you get. Have driven to the ring with a friend in a 911 Turbo and GT3 and not been dropped on the Autobahn, even if clearly their cars punch much more into 3 figures (am not saying they wouldn't beat me in a drag race - but cruising at speeds which are safe on the Autobahn but would be a serious problem in UK - no issue). 

With the Elise, it is up to you to very much 'drive' it as opposed to being driven and its fun to have something that you can truly wring out - as opposed to speed being restricted by the environment that you are in.

The standard brakes are fantastic - there is absolutely no need four pots on an Elise in any circuit situation - you just need decent pads.

Edited by Five50

8 minutes ago, Five50 said:

The standard brakes are fantastic - there is absolutely no need four pots on an Elise in any circuit situation - you just need decent pads.

That’s good to know. What would you recommend?

I’ve had the v6 for 5 years now, I think it’s a compliment to the v that the brakes are so good rather that the Elise being bad. 

for sure the Elise can eat up the miles across Europe in the same way my s2 exige or my VX220 did but the large v6 feels more relaxed. Maybe this is down to fewer rattles or just progress I don’t know but I worry the Elise will be too alive.  That v6 can just chug along the roads without noticing.  

my head is saying keep the v6, is fantastic and I cannot ask for more. My heart is saying get an Elise cup for fun. My heart is also saying don’t get rid of the v6. ♥️

• Like 1

Sounds like you have some thinking to do. I think the answer is to just bite the bullet and buy an Elise, but also keep the Exige. 😂

Here’s my thoughts on this....

I have a 380 with a Komotec 460 upgrade; my daughter has a 2004 Elise 111S with the VVC engine chucking out around 154 hp. The best drive, without a shadow of a doubt around country lanes and tight B roads and every day use is the Elise, its “feels” so much better. However, Ive done 2 long Swiss Alp tours and the Exige is in my opinion better suited. But the thing is the Exige is just so much more of a car...... difficult to explain I know. Just my 2p worth. And a difficult decision for you....

cheers

Mark

Maybe there was something wrong with the brakes on the car you tested? I had a V6 Exige with the big brake upgrade and they were suitably awesome. I didn't go for the brake upgrade on the Elise as I didn't think it would be necessary, and I've never felt short changed on road or track.

On long hauls I think they're quite similar at sensible speeds, neither could be described as a relaxed cruiser. Pop in the ear plugs if necessary.

You obviously have to work harder to make rapid progress in the Elise, but that's a large part of its appeal. On road, I doubt there's anything significantly quicker from A to B unless you're prepared to get dangerous.

I think the decision depends on your usage of the car. If it's primarily a fun road car (mine is) then I think the Elise gets my vote. If it's primary use is a track toy then I'd stick with the Exige plus a few choice upgrades. It's on track that you really notice the extra horse power.

on the summer drives we have done the Elise 220/250 cups have to work really hard to try and keep up with what id describe as 3/4 speed exige driving (when I had a 350). I admire the bravery to be honest! 

The Elise is much slower, road or track, but that's obvious given the power difference. 

It depends what you want - if you are getting bored id go to komotec and give your car a little more fun or get an LSD fitted, if you can't explore the limit try hiring a pro on track days to push you out of your comfort zone, if you just want to have fun at slower speeds then get the Elise (especially if running costs are an issue). 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current lotus cars to be honest and there is no right answer as its just so personal. 

• Like 1

Hi all, if I could just add my 2p worth,  I've been lucky enough to run both at the same time, and while the Exige just has loads of raw power, and 

is an amazing track tool, it does have its down sides, only in as much as the running costs, they love a nice drink! 3 fills on a good long track,

they eat tyres, and brakes! on the other side , the Elise, just as good!  but a little slower on the strights and because of the weight, does not use the consumables as fast, nor the fuel.

The only thing they lack is the noise, but that means you can get on any track in the uk.

andy